Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times

Advertisements

Why was Toyota's fine so much greater than GM?

Toyota Charged with Wire Fraud, Agrees to Pay $1.2B for Misleading Drivers | KTXL FOX40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,854 times
Toyota and gm both suck

Except I still would buy a c7 vette

Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,814 times
I can't say which is worse. But I still would choose a Toyota over a GM. I know too many people with GMs that have problems with them. Plus my own experience. I'm not a GM hater, but I am not ready to trust them yet.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Toyota will pay just to make this go away. Kindly remember, the part the Gov't says failed is the exact same part that Ford uses in the E Van and they have had zero failures. Our Southwest Research tested the Toyota cars for defects and found none in the parts manufacture or design. None of the cars that "supposedly" had the issues were able to repeat the issue even after wearing the parts out, no failures. The biggest issue was driver error. While I'm not a Toyota fan and think they are grossly over rated, they shouldn't be out a dime here. Now in regards to the mid size Tundra that was more prone to a rollover than an Explorer with low tire inflation, yes, they should have been hammered. They should have been hammered with the defective 3.0 V6 engines that were a known issue with cams that broke off at the belt due to heat and just **** poor design. Just because the Gov't is fining Toyota doesn't mean anything was wrong. In the words of our current moron in power, "never let a crisis go to waste". This gives him another billion to screw off on rebuilding more muslim temples.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
GM's problem stem from their inept management and laxed QC. Toyota problem was a debatable defect that only happens to American made Toyotas. Hey bigger and heavier feet contributed to the problem, couldn't happen anywhere else.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,104,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In the words of our current moron in power, "never let a crisis go to waste". This gives him another billion to screw off on rebuilding more muslim temples.
Not that it matters much in the automotive forum but I don't believe the current president was ever quoted saying that.

As far as whose error is worse, it's definitely GM. That said, I don't own nor do I see myself owning a Toyota anytime soon simply because they don't make anything that interests me.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Toyota will pay just to make this go away. Kindly remember, the part the Gov't says failed is the exact same part that Ford uses in the E Van and they have had zero failures. Our Southwest Research tested the Toyota cars for defects and found none in the parts manufacture or design. None of the cars that "supposedly" had the issues were able to repeat the issue even after wearing the parts out, no failures. The biggest issue was driver error. While I'm not a Toyota fan and think they are grossly over rated, they shouldn't be out a dime here.
The fine is for the cover-up, not the mechanical issue itself.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,104,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The fine is for the cover-up, not the mechanical issue itself.
Which in terms of numbers is a bit silly given that GM was only fined $35 million for the ignition issue that it hid for years. The total sum needs to climb drastically for the $1 billion charged against Toyota to seem reasonable.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:25 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Which in terms of numbers is a bit silly given that GM was only fined $35 million for the ignition issue that it hid for years. The total sum needs to climb drastically for the $1 billion charged against Toyota to seem reasonable.
The fines were different. I believe that the 35 million was a maximum fine paid to the Department of Transportation. For Toyota, the fine was paid to the Department of Justice. I believe there is still speculation out there that the DoJ will get involved in the GM issue. If so, they could receive a fine just as large as the Toyota fine.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:33 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,147,346 times
Toyota paid with their shareholders money.

GM paid us back with taxpayers money.

The gubberment knows that in the coming years they will have to rescue GM again so they can't wack them too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive