Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times

Advertisements

I bought my car new and have always had it serviced at the dealership with no problems other than I think they are a little overpriced.

Last week I had my oil changed, tires rotated and had wiper blade inserts placed in my original wiper blades. I didn't use my wipers until 5 days after the service, but when I did I knew something was wrong. Wiper went up above the window and didn't clean the window at all; same on front and back windows.

My husband took it back and it turns out the technician didn't put the "metal part" on and they said the guy who did the service is new. The wipers were definitely going above the top of the window so I wonder if the insert wasn't secured and was sliding off. But anyway, they fixed it. Or mostly anyway. There is still a streak that it leaves on the passenger side every time the wiper makes a pass and I wonder if the insert is not seated exactly right.

The same technician changed my oil and rotated my tires. I'm a little worried if he didn't do the wipers correctly that he may not know how to change oil and rotate tires correctly either. But maybe those are things they have more training in and wipers were something he's not as experienced with?

My husband always gets new wiper blades at O'Reilly and has encouraged me to do that in the past. He said if you buy the blades they come out of the store and put them on for you at no charge. I paid $26.50 labor to have my front inserts placed and $13.25 for the rear. Must be $13.25 labor per insert. The inserts themselves were $9.50 each.

Another thing I wasn't entirely happy with is when I took my car in the service advisor told me it was time to have the air filters (apparently there are two) replaced. I declined that. Then when my car was finished he told me the air filters were fine and didn't need to be replaced anyway. But I get the feeling if I had said "yes" when he said it was time for the air filters to be replaced, they would have replaced them whether they needed it or not.

I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt since service up to now has been fine. I'm just not trusting them so much now. Would you worry about the other work the technician did? I get being new. But maybe they should have someone checking a new technician's work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM

1,002 posts, read 919,155 times
It's hard to find good service these days. Too many people want office jobs, and (at least around here) there's a severe shortage of ANY kind of people in blue collar jobs, so they take what they can get.

As for the oil change, I'd look to make sure the dip stick level is right and glance under the car for drips or leaks. If both are fine, let it be for now and take the car elsewhere next time (or do it yourself).

Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Things like wipers, air filters, etc. Can be done very easily at home. For the most part, no tools (or simple tools like a screw driver) are all that is necessary.

The air filter is probably one of the more "expensive" services when you consider the amount of work it really requires. Some cabin air filters are hard to get to, but for the most part - it's typically behind the glove box and just slides out. If you can change the filter in your HVAC system or vacuum cleaner, you can likely change it in your car. $10-$15 from Amazon or your local auto-parts store and 5 min is all you need.

The wiper blades are also simple. I typically just buy the entire blade. Again, 2 min each. It may take longer to remove the old one depending on how much dirt may have gotten between the spaces.

All in all - the biggest advantage is that you know you did it right. And this is the reason why I do most of the work myself. With all the oil change deals around, I'm probably paying a few bucks more to do it at home (not to mention investing in the equipment) - but it's worth that piece of mind. Especially having seen my car with too little or too much added in the past.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM

531 posts, read 453,457 times
One cheat they used to do, and may still do, is not changing the oil and filter and charging you as if they did. You can paint the filter (if you can get to it) with whatever spray paint you have and see if they changed it. (If you have an insert filter, like on a Camry, of course this doesn't work.) More generally, look at the oil on the dipstick before and after the service. It should look cleaner after. And it should be between the Low and Full lines.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I bought my car new and have always had it serviced at the dealership with no problems other than I think they are a little overpriced.

Last week I had my oil changed, tires rotated and had wiper blade inserts placed in my original wiper blades. I didn't use my wipers until 5 days after the service, but when I did I knew something was wrong. Wiper went up above the window and didn't clean the window at all; same on front and back windows.

My husband took it back and it turns out the technician didn't put the "metal part" on and they said the guy who did the service is new. The wipers were definitely going above the top of the window so I wonder if the insert wasn't secured and was sliding off. But anyway, they fixed it. Or mostly anyway. There is still a streak that it leaves on the passenger side every time the wiper makes a pass and I wonder if the insert is not seated exactly right.

The same technician changed my oil and rotated my tires. I'm a little worried if he didn't do the wipers correctly that he may not know how to change oil and rotate tires correctly either. But maybe those are things they have more training in and wipers were something he's not as experienced with?

My husband always gets new wiper blades at O'Reilly and has encouraged me to do that in the past. He said if you buy the blades they come out of the store and put them on for you at no charge. I paid $26.50 labor to have my front inserts placed and $13.25 for the rear. Must be $13.25 labor per insert. The inserts themselves were $9.50 each.

Another thing I wasn't entirely happy with is when I took my car in the service advisor told me it was time to have the air filters (apparently there are two) replaced. I declined that. Then when my car was finished he told me the air filters were fine and didn't need to be replaced anyway. But I get the feeling if I had said "yes" when he said it was time for the air filters to be replaced, they would have replaced them whether they needed it or not.

I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt since service up to now has been fine. I'm just not trusting them so much now. Would you worry about the other work the technician did? I get being new. But maybe they should have someone checking a new technician's work.
You now have a chance to bust this dealer service Managers chops about what happened in the last service, and you can get him to grovel to you about it. Let him know you will contact corporate if his guys screws up again. Those guys get alot of pressure, but only if people complain. But you do have to do some precheck before you give the car in and post check. It happened to me once when my service department put a dent in my door. I found it before I left the lot and they had to fix it, then I used that to make sure they always put their best guy on it from then on.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Last WK went to have oil/ filter changed on my new/used car to me.. you understand.
Saw this place (major named place).
Was in line, saw no prices shown or inside for that matter.
Observed car in front so had an idea what would be in store for me.
They worked as a team which is okay for a quick job.
Had to stay inside my car during the change.
Cars were over an old fashioned pit and no hoist or lift involved.
Being a former mechanic/ business owner as was my dad, we both went the lift routes.
Watched oil guy best as possible under the open hood while another man took info from my car into aly longside computor.
Showed me the air filter (pasable) ,fingered my wiper blades to show me the condition and then nicely offered a maintenece program. I stated being a retired mechanic etc and that two sons were also mechanics. No more sales job.
Having been in the trade understand the score out there.
Anyhoo, receipt showed my tires set at 35lbs. Have two new tire guages and both said 30lbs.... different brand of guages.
For the small price will buy a third brand to see which guages is correct.
I have my own compressor and tool box etc. Tires are like new so want to have normal wear with correct air.
By the way, car is a 2008 Ford Escape SUV Hybrid low miles, 1 owner, accident free.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Thanks, everyone. On top of everything else, I waited over 90 minutes for them to change oil, rotate tires and mess up my wipers. They told me it would be an hour.

Steve Bagu, my last vehicle I took to a place like that where they had the pit to change the oil and they checked the tires and adjusted air pressure as needed, checked fluids and replaced as needed, checked wipers and vacuumed the car. They were always done within 15 minutes. I'd always pick up a magazine and never was able to finish an article before they were done. Unfortunately, that place went under new ownership and the new guy was kind of shady - offered a "discount" if you paid in cash - so I figure he was pocketing the cash. I never paid in cash, but if someone will cheat their boss or owner or whatever, why wouldn't they cheat me? So I stopped going there.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Steve Bagu, my last vehicle I took to a place like that where they had the pit to change the oil and they checked the tires and adjusted air pressure as needed, checked fluids and replaced as needed, checked wipers and vacuumed the car. They were always done within 15 minutes. I'd always pick up a magazine and never was able to finish an article before they were done. Unfortunately, that place went under new ownership and the new guy was kind of shady - offered a "discount" if you paid in cash - so I figure he was pocketing the cash. I never paid in cash, but if someone will cheat their boss or owner or whatever, why wouldn't they cheat me? So I stopped going there.
Some merchants will offer a cash discount, because they don't have to pay credit card processing fees. Did they give you a receipt showing the amount you paid? If so, I doubt it would be an employee pocketing cash. Anyway, I think I almost always have to pay a cashier at a point of sale terminal anyway, except for maybe some mom-and-pop shops.

One way to test the legitimacy of a cash discount, is to ask if it still applies if you write a check. If not, that could be a red flag.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Find yourself a good honest local mechanic/shop. Ask around. They are out there.

If you have an ordinary regular car/SUV/Truck - the complete wiper blade assembly is changed. Not the insert. Yes, the insert can be replaced in most vehicles. But for the most part the whole wiper blade is changed. My local shop charges $15.00 and installs immediately - the complete blade assembly. Yes, I have done the inserts. Yes, I have gone to auto parts store and done myself. But for $15.00 and done right away - it's a bargain.

Air filters can be done by almost anyone - just by viewing a Utube video. Same with cabin filter. Although some vehicles for some reason are a tad complicated.

Find yourself a good honest local mechanic/shop. Get all of your oil changes at local shop. Build up a relationship.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
It's hard to find good service these days. Too many people want office jobs, and (at least around here) there's a severe shortage of ANY kind of people in blue collar jobs, so they take what they can get.

As for the oil change, I'd look to make sure the dip stick level is right and glance under the car for drips or leaks. If both are fine, let it be for now and take the car elsewhere next time (or do it yourself).
Auto mechanics make such good money too. That's what I don't understand; especially mechanics specializing in foreign makes. Many mechanics can eventually progress to management and shop ownership themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive