Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 PM

797 posts, read 1,749,778 times

Advertisements

What is better- selling your car to a dealership? Or a private party? Advantages/disadvantages to both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:29 PM

422 posts, read 574,678 times
You'll almost always get more selling private party, but trading in to a dealer is easier

Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
You should be able to sell for much more to a private party. The dealer must buy low enough to resell at a profit. An easy cash sale to a person who takes your car and title and never properly transfers it could turn in to a nightmare.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
You'll almost always get more selling private party, but trading in to a dealer is easier
We wouldn't be trading it in. Looking to sell a car.. A few things need fixing that we cannot afford to do.. I am afraid it would turn away potential buyers. Windshield has a crack. Also the driver side back door lock won't unlock with a remote. You have to do it manually. I was side swiped 5 years ago. Never bothered getting it fixed, but there is a minor dent and a couple scratches. Otherwise it is in great condition. 10 years old and decent mileage.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
You should be able to sell for much more to a private party. The dealer must buy low enough to resell at a profit. An easy cash sale to a person who takes your car and title and never properly transfers it could turn in to a nightmare.
So I am confused. Are you saying I should or shouldn't use a private party? How would I know if there were title issues once I sell it? Are you saying a private party is more likely to have issues vs a dealership?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
A wrecked, 10 yr old car that needs a few other repairs will get you basically nothing from a new car dealer. They will just send it to an auction and maybe make a couple hundred on the deal. Depending on the model, it sounds like something to list on craigslist for a $2,000-3,000 mechanics special. Might be better to sell it directly to a small used car dealer that deals in older cars. But certainly research the values before doing anything. I would probably classify it as slightly below average condition wise due to the issues you stated.

As for private party sales, do the research with your state's DMV to see what is done. Like in Texas, the seller can keep the license plates (to force the buyer to get new ones), they must sign the title transfer paperwork, and also the seller can file a form with the DMV that states you sold the car to relieve you of any responsibility. Other states you can meet the person at the DMV or someplace else to transfer the title. Depends on your state. It takes a little bit of work sometimes, but can get you a bit more than selling to a dealer.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
That's why I keep my old car with dented hood and cracked windshield... it's mechanically sound but the cosmetic issues make it worthless... since I know it's true value for reliability, why get rid of it? Drive it until the wheels fall off and I go careening off the interstate at 80mph.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
I had a 2002 Mazda MPV. It was reasonably good to us, but when I hit 150k miles I started having issues with the check engine light, Failed coils and a problem with the thermostat. I fixed most of the problems myself but I must have caused an exhaust leak while working on the car at some point and could not get the check engine light to clear. Drove it around for months trying to do the driving routines that forced it to clear the catalytic converters but check engine would not clear and my inspection sticker was 2 months expired so it was stop driving it or sell it.

Ultimately the coolant started leaking and then another coil started failing so I threw in the towel and used the autotrader sell your car to a dealer program. I got more money than another dealer was offering on trade so I sold it and then went to buy something else.

I actually miss that car.... just a bit.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:09 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
We wouldn't be trading it in. Looking to sell a car.. A few things need fixing that we cannot afford to do.. I am afraid it would turn away potential buyers. Windshield has a crack. Also the driver side back door lock won't unlock with a remote. You have to do it manually. I was side swiped 5 years ago. Never bothered getting it fixed, but there is a minor dent and a couple scratches. Otherwise it is in great condition. 10 years old and decent mileage.
That is the funniest thing I've read. Cracked windshielf, broken lock, dents and scratches, side swiped, and yet still in great condition? To me, great condition is everything working as designed, no dents, no cracks in any glass and definitely never side swiped.

I would definitely sell to a private party. Since you won't be trading the car in, I highly doubt any dealership (short of the buy here, pay here places) would even consider buying it because they won't be able to resell it. It would end up going to auction.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I would never sell to a dealer when I can get double privately.
I have never had any problems and have done it MANY times.
Sign the Title, give a bill of sale, take your plates!
Keep a copy of the receipt...take their info.
Bada Bing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive