Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,591 times

Advertisements

About a year ago I was at a stop light on a hill and the guy in front of me in a truck rolled backward and hit me. At the time he said his clutch was going bad. Of course when the insurance company got involved he claimed I hit him. If I had a dash camera there would have been proof I was stopped and he was rolling backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Do you own a dash cam, if so why? What brand do you prefer and price range? I'm shopping for a front and rear cam for my car, but I'm not 100% sold on the C.Y.A. angle, I just think they're cool at this point. Is there really mass insurance fraud out there? What's your reasoning for buying a cam? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

yes, because it came with the car. now it became one of those things one can never live without.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 PM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
I use an old droid 2 camera and windshield mount. Not ideal, but I didn't have to buy any more equipment.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
I have the Garmin one. It's good because it stamps each frame with coordinates and exact time. But like with all these cameras, it's hard to read a license plate from the video unless the car is pretty close to you

Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I have 2.
One in my Ridgeline records forward only. I have it for almost 2 years, paid $57, and it's been very reliable. It's on 3 minute loop.
One in my Camry has 2nd camera, installed right at the top rear license plate edge, below trunk release. Hence, I have PIP on the main display, that can be switched between views - front>rear>both - manually or with remote. Sides as reverse camera. It functions, but display overall is too small and it glitches once in a while. Another 60 or so dollars.
I'd definitely recommend set up with rear camera. But not the ones that have two cameras mounted on windshield. It just shoots car interior and your face. What for?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I own one.
I bought a $21 cheap china knock off and it works decent enough. For $20, it beats their word vs yours, as many cops have given a ticket to the wrong person based on each others story rather than what happened. I think they greatly help in cases like: you didnt stop 100&% at a stop sign, a cop clocking you at the top of a hill, and you running a yellow vs red light.

I would recommend spending $30-40 for one that records in dual directions. The court system in America is a complete utter joke, so real life documentation will always CYA.
Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the input.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It just shoots car interior and your face. What for?
I think it's to prove you weren't on your cell phone or otherwise distracted during the course of an accident.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:24 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I got it primarily as evidence in the event of an accident and recording police during a traffic stop. Catching some scenery during the occasional road trip is just an added benefit.
Be careful with that you can be charged with recording audio of a police officer in some areas.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I own one.
I bought a $21 cheap china knock off and it works decent enough. For $20, it beats their word vs yours, as many cops have given a ticket to the wrong person based on each others story rather than what happened. I think they greatly help in cases like: you didnt stop 100&% at a stop sign, a cop clocking you at the top of a hill, and you running a yellow vs red light.

I would recommend spending $30-40 for one that records in dual directions. The court system in America is a complete utter joke, so real life documentation will always CYA.
$21 bucks for something that actually works? What did you get?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Be careful with that you can be charged with recording audio of a police officer in some areas.
Recording police while performing their duties is 100% legal in every state. Some dont really know or understand the law completely but it wont matter if it ever makes it to court, its clear.

U.S. weighs in favor of right to record police - POLITICO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive