Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 71,298 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

How are you? This is Cassie...Cass. So, I am looking for a new/used SUV, either a small or midsize.

I am currently driving a compact hatchback car and feel a bit stuffy in there, and maybe my knees also are a bit cramped...although I am only 5ft 5 inches.

I like the idea of sitting up a bit...i.e. a higher ground clearance as well, and if possible a high seat to floor clearance.

I do not plan to tow any vehicles or transport large items etc. It is just me and my brother who will use it at this time...but you know, I may meet someone and my family may grow!

I am in Houston, TX....I do not need to deal with snow clearance

My daily commute round trip is about 50 miles - about 2/3 on the highway.

One car I looked at was the Subaru Forester 2014 and that is on my list...but am looking for other suggestions too for a SUV that is:

1) Good value for money
2) No unnecessary maintenance hassles - I am no mechanic!
3) Good gas mileage
4) Safe
5) Aesthetic - I prefer something that looks tough
6) Long lasting

Any thoughts guys and gals?

Hugs,
Cass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
The Forester is a great option, we considered it before buying a 2014 Escape that we love, now at 7,500 miles since September and two long road trips. The Forester just seemed too much like a station wagon and we didn't like the feel of the CVT transmission. The Forester has almost an inch more ground clearance but we have been off road and the 7.9" seemed fine. We looked also at the CRV and the RAV4 but they both seemed overpriced. Our Escape was listed at $28K+ but we got it for just under $23k. The 2013 had many problems which is why we waited for the 2014 but we also got an extended warranty at about half the retail price as part of the deal.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
Looks aside, the Subaru Forester, Mistubishi Outlander and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport are the only three smaller SUVs that passed the IIHS's new small overlap crash test and earned a "Top Safety Pick +" rating.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:15 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
Take a look at the Honda CR-V. It is pretty mechanically simple. The Ford Escape is nice, but has less cargo room due to its shape and has a more complex drivetrain.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,271 times
RDX or Escape

Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
You may also like the Subaru XV Crosstrek, which is not as large as Forester, based on the Impreza. The CR-V and RAV4 are leaders in this class, and both are simple, easily maintained vehicles that can rather easily achieve high mileage. Both also have excellent resale value, which is not the same case with some other competitors in the small crossover segment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
OP, we have a crv (picked up a Honda certified used 2012) which meets most of your list of requirements; aesthetically it's fine as most in this class do look a bit similar, i wouldn't ever say it's tough looking lol but overall it is a nice vehicle. And even with our awd version we've clipped over 30 mpg and on our trips north (loaded down and driving thru the mountains, and in Wi snow) we never dropped below 28+/- mpg's for an average. I'd assume the front driver version may add a couple to those #'s.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM

32 posts, read 71,298 times
Default Thanks!

Hey!

Thanks for the input. One of my concerns is seating...I am looking for a vehicle that has comfortable seating...which includes the actual seat itself.

Features like power seat adjustment and lumbar support are also great! I do not need leather.

I know the Subaru Forester mid trim has these features...but I am open to any brand.

How would you rank (in terms of overall value, comfort, safety) between the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV 4, Subaru Forester and Ford Escape...for comparable models....

Thank you!
Cass

Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM

287 posts, read 506,800 times
The Mazda CX-5 probably ticks all of your boxes. I've heard nothing but good things about it and it gives the other players in the segment a run for their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive