Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm extremely slow or my IQ in driving manuals is in the bottom 1% but I could not learn how to consistently release the clutch and get moving without stalling. Even after 2 months of consistent practice, I still stalled well above 50% of the time (and nearly destroyed the transmission in my dad's '89 Accord.) So I've stuck with Automatic in my 15+ years of driving. Oh well, at least I can say I tried.

I hear this problem isn't that significant in manual transmission hybrid cars (i.e. Honda CR-Z) since the car will switch to the electric motor if you "stall" it by imperfectly releasing the clutch.. maybe this might be a way to re-learn driving a stick..

Last edited by ragnarkar; 06-19-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Maybe I'm extremely slow or my IQ in driving manuals is in the bottom 1% but I could not learn how to consistently release the clutch and get moving without stalling. Even after 2 months of consistent practice, I still stalled well above 50% of the time (and nearly destroyed the transmission in my dad's '89 Accord.) So I've stuck with Automatic in my 15+ years of driving. Oh well, at least I can say I tried.

I hear this problem isn't that significant in manual transmission hybrid cars (i.e. Honda CR-Z) since the car will switch to the electric motor if you "stall" it by imperfectly releasing the clutch.. maybe this might be a way to re-learn driving a stick..
I've got a better (and cheaper) idea for you. Buy an old beater pickup truck.

Trucks tend to be made for hauling stuff, so they gear them for more torque on the low end, which makes it easier to take off from a stop (in other words, less stalling). Plus, you get the benefits of having a pickup truck.

When I was 18 or 19, I bought my first manual transmission car, and essentially taught myself the basics of how it works from the Internet, and had a few impromptu lessons from my parents.

I specifically recommend reading the following:
HowStuffWorks "How Clutches Work"
HowStuffWorks "How Manual Transmissions Work"

The same tried and true recommendation still applies: practice in a flat parking lot, and learn to take off in first gear without giving it any gas. You'll feel a point as you release the clutch where the car wants to start moving; that is called the friction point. Hold it there for a bit to allow the car to get moving, and then release the clutch fully.

Once you can take off without giving it gas, practice taking off while adding gas. Once both of those are mastered, find an empty road or lot with a hill, and practice taking off there without rolling backward. You can use the parking brake, as I think I mentioned earlier in this (or another) thread, but the best way is to bring the clutch out to the friction point, and then quickly move your right foot from the brake to the gas. Any rollback should be minimal to nonexistent when you get used to it.

What you don't want to do is ride the clutch to hold it in place on hills. Keep the car in neutral, clutch released, and right foot fully on the brake until it is time to take off.

Once you can take off in first gear, the rest is a piece of cake.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I was taught that downshifting to brake (not 'break') is generally a bad idea. When you step on the brakes, you're putting wear on brake pads, which are designed to be cheaply and easily replaced. When you downshift to brake (also known as 'engine braking') you're putting stress on the drive train, and in particular on the clutch, which is much more expensive to replace

The best approach is to look ahead, anticipate, and reduce speed before braking is required. This kind of driving will save you $$$ in the long run.
Long-term, yes you are correct. But engine braking should be used when going down steep grades that cover multiple miles, so you do not burn up your brakes.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM

43 posts, read 79,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLewis View Post
1. I heard that when you stop on the brakes you have to step on the clutch. Do you still have to step on the clutch while putting on the brakes if you shift to neutral?
No, you do not need to step on/release the clutch when braking unless your engine will stall from low RPMs. You definitely do not need to step on/release it when the transmission is in neutral.

Quote:
2. When you have come to a stop and turn at an intersection, do you always have to push on the accelerator before letting the clutch go? Or can you let the clutch go and then push on the accelerator?
It depends on your vehicle, but assuming the average modern car, yes. In some trucks in extremely low gears, you can release the clutch without increasing the RPM of the engine beyond idle.

Quote:
3. When you are turning slowly in an intersection, should you shift to second gear while doing that? It’s kind of slow at 1st gear.
There's nothing keeping you from changing gears.

You clearly do not completely understand how this whole system works. Pushing in the clutch pedal moves two plates apart (the clutch). When you let the pedal come up they begin to rub on each-other until they are held together by friction. You push the clutch pedal in when stopping because that same friction combined with your brakes will lower the RPM of your engine below what it takes for it to run, which stalls your engine (except in the some rare cases where the low gear is so low that the engine can overcome the friction of the brakes).

Old 06-20-2014, 04:46 PM

352 posts, read 387,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Long-term, yes you are correct. But engine braking should be used when going down steep grades that cover multiple miles, so you do not burn up your brakes.
Agreed, that's about the only time you would want to downshift for braking.

Imagine driving on an ordinary level highway at 45 mph and you see a red light ahead where you're 100% sure you'll have to stop. It would be crazy to start downshifting thru all the gears just to slow down for the stoplight. Just apply the brakes and when down below 15-20 mph or so depress the clutch.

Another situation where you might want to downshift would be if you were taking an exit ramp from a freeway type road and the ramp would merge into the entrance ramp of another fast moving highway. Well, if you exited in top gear (say 6th) and you knew that you wanted to be in 5th to merge quickly with the traffic on the other road, then downshift as you exit the onto the ramp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive