Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times

Advertisements

My suggestions:

Definitely use steelies / winter tires for the winter months. A set of all seasons + winter tires lasts at least a season longer than 2 sets of all season tires. This is due to having to throw the all-season tires out quite early.

For A/S tires, I recommend two tires:

Continental Pure Contact with EcoPlus - this is a good tire. Quiet, good for fuel economy, and superb treadwear

Michelin Pilot A/S Plus - this is a high performance all-season. I bought these because my car handles quite well so I wanted something sporty. It handles like a summer tire but still has 45,000 mile warranty. Summer tires have garbage treadlife.

Option #1 is better if practicality is what you are after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that I might get a cheap set of steelies and winter tires and run that setup from mid/late December until late February or so, then switch back to summer tires for the remainder of the year. I realize that an all-season won't give me ideal performance in ALL seasons, and if next winter is anything like this past one, I'll definitely benefit from some dedicated winter tires.
Pass on Summer Tires. Summer tires are for dedicated sports cars. The average vehicle has no business wasting $$$ on terrible tread life.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM

15,801 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I run Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my Infiniti G35x. I've actually run two sets of these tires. The first set went 70K miles before needing to be replaced. Currently at 20K on my 2nd set.

Up here, in the northeast, they have been great in the snow with AWD. Getting dedicated snows has never crossed my mind as i've gone out in deep snow (enough that i plow through it rather than drive over) and the car has never gotten stuck. Now, the AWD might have something to do with it however.

Rain performance is great. I've driven 70MPH in pouring rain with confidence.

Dry performance is good for an average commuter car. I drive aggressive, and wear has been even all the way down to the wear bars.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:31 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Forgot to mention that it's the LTZ trim with 17" wheels, so it's 205/50-17.
No fair, not only do you have a large selection of summer sport, all season performance, and winter tires, you also have 8 different low rolling resistance tires by very good brands! Low rolling resistance tires will help increase your fuel economy if they weren't standard on your car.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i got some michilans, oh they are so great, a little high but worth every penny, great in wet weather

Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Up here, in the northeast, they have been great in the snow with AWD. Getting dedicated snows has never crossed my mind as i've gone out in deep snow (enough that i plow through it rather than drive over) and the car has never gotten stuck. Now, the AWD might have something to do with it however.
A FWD car with a set of winter tires can tackle pretty much any set of winter conditions. I used to think All Season tires were "good enough" until I bought winter tires. The difference is significant. All-wheel drive helps you get going but does nothing for stopping in snow and ice.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
If you are looking for a tire you can run all year that will work in harsh winter conditions don't get sucked into buying a tire just because it is designated as all season. Tire makers can designate racing slicks as all season if they want. I would recommend going with an all weather tire that has the mountain peak and snowflake symbol on it.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a good all-season tire. I may consider getting a set of winter tires on steelies for the harsh months, but for now I need something that'll last me through the seasons. Price isn't a concern but I do want something I can get a good number of miles from.

I know next to nothing about tires, so educate me. What should I be looking for? What brands should I avoid? Are there any new/special technologies that I should look out for?

FWIW, this will be for a 2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback.
First, lets get the nomenclature right. The so called "winter" tire is just the old snow tire. I live 10 miles away from you and for the winters we have here, snow tires and mounting and dismounting them are unnecessary hassles. A set of all-season tires will do just fine. On those days that all-seasons won't cut it, you probably should be staying home anyway.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 AM

287 posts, read 506,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
First, lets get the nomenclature right. The so called "winter" tire is just the old snow tire. I live 10 miles away from you and for the winters we have here, snow tires and mounting and dismounting them are unnecessary hassles. A set of all-season tires will do just fine. On those days that all-seasons won't cut it, you probably should be staying home anyway.
I typically can work from home, and after thinking about it, I'd have to agree. Seems like the best best is to pony up for a good set of all-seasons and be done with it, and WFH when the weather is extra bad.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
I run Bridgestones on my BMWs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive