Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times

Advertisements

I have an old truck that I really like - a 1988 4.3L V6 Chevy Blazer, 4x4.

It has 240K miles on it. It runs fine right now, hasn't had major problems in years. It had to have some moderate work done - rebuilt a lot of the front end this past year which cost me around $850. Also a new starter this year but I consider that regular maintenance.

The body is straight and pretty much rust free on the outside and underneath from what I can tell.

I'm wondering if I should have the engine and tranny rebuilt to pre-empt any problems? Is it worth it? Will that add to its life, say, another 75-100K miles?

This is my recreation truck so if I was going to replace it I'd probably go with a late model Jeep Wrangler, which would cost me 10-20K. I'm not a big fan of the late 90s, early-mid 2000s rigs so I'd go newer than that. I'm willing to do that but would rather have my truck.

So question is, can I get this truck's essential systems rebuilt and is that worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

It has 240K miles on it. It runs fine right now, hasn't had major problems in years. It had to have some moderate work done - rebuilt a lot of the front end this past year which cost me around $850. Also a new starter this year but I consider that regular maintenance.

The body is straight and pretty much rust free on the outside and underneath from what I can tell.

I'm wondering if I should have the engine and tranny rebuilt to pre-empt any problems? Is it worth it? Will that add to its life, say, another 75-100K miles?

This is my recreation truck so if I was going to replace it I'd probably go with a late model Jeep Wrangler, which would cost me 10-20K. I'm not a big fan of the late 90s, early-mid 2000s rigs so I'd go newer than that. I'm willing to do that but would rather have my truck.

So question is, can I get this truck's essential systems rebuilt and is that worth it?
If the truck's body and frame are in good shape, and I would not want to have the monthly payments of a new truck or the Jeep you have mentioned, I would have the motor and transmission work done. The problem is finding the right mechanic shop where that type of work is done. I imagine that it would cost around $8K to have the truck in top shape, which is not bad at all as long as you can have the work done by a reputable and knowledgeable. The latter would be the toughest part.

Anyway, I bought this 1988 GMC truck a couple of years ago, and the motor was rebuilt by perhaps the best mechanic shop in Fairbanks, Alaska. All they do is to rebuilt motors from the ground up. Then the motor was installed on the truck by another shop. A set of headers with sensors that allow the motor to pass smug test were installed, along a brand new muffler and the rest. Also, the cooling fan was replaced with an electric cooling fan, the water pump and oil pump were replaced, and so all the sensors on the motor, serpentine belt, etc. The total cost was around $9K. I bought it two years ago from a student who needed the money, with around 6,000 miles on the motor, and have driven it to work and back through two very tough Alaska winters already. The bumper, lights, shocks, tires, etc., were added by the previous owner:

Forgot to mention: this truck has a manual 5-speed transmission. No work was done to the transmission, but the clutch's pressure plate, disk, and bearing were replaced. Also, smug inspections aren't longer required in Fairbanks.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,311 times
You might be able to find a brand new long block directly from Chevy.

You need to do some check up stuff to determine the condition of the engine you have now.

Things like a compression test, checking the cylinder walls, maybe dropping the oil pan and inspecting some rod bearings....things like that.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:33 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
New crate engine and be done.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

That engine is legendary for reliability and was still used in their trucks until a year or two ago. I would wait until it really needs to be repaired before doing the work. Have you done a compression test? A more modern version has more power (1996 and up) but you will have to deal with the fuel injection system installation. Is it worth it at that point- I think so if you really like the vehicle, it's not insane price wise and plan to keep it.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
That engine is legendary for reliability and was still used in their trucks until a year or two ago. I would wait until it really needs to be repaired before doing the work. Have you done a compression test? A more modern version has more power (1996 and up) but you will have to deal with the fuel injection system installation. Is it worth it at that point- I think so if you really like the vehicle, it's not insane price wise and plan to keep it.

4.3 motor is in my 2013 Silverado......pretty sure it still is in production (though since 88 it has become a Vortec motor).

The rear main seal was an issue in the late 80's but if it isn't leaking by now it probably wont.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
OP,

If the truck runs fine, leave it alone. Rebuild motor/tranny is a waste of money if the truck is running fine.....I think you could open a can of worms if the wrong guy is turning the wrenches!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
4.3 motor is in my 2013 Silverado......pretty sure it still is in production (though since 88 it has become a Vortec motor).

The rear main seal was an issue in the late 80's but if it isn't leaking by now it probably wont.
The rear leak problem was discovered to be from too much crank grinding on the leakers. They had a new seal made for those.

I'd drive it until you need the engine and in the meantime get whatever rust is there repaired by a good body shop and repaint it. Sounds to me like a far better option than buying a new vehicle!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I agree with everything posted so far, especially the part about leave it alone until it really needs replacing and also putting a crate motor in vs rebuilding your old one.

I generally rebuild my own motors because I like doing it but you can't rebuild a motor for the same amount of money you can buy a brand new crate engine for.........they are the way to go. I did a Corvette for a guy and put a Goodwrench engine in it and it was the easiest rebuild job I have ever done. Just bolt on your accessories and you have a whole new motor with a warranty to boot.

Those little 4.3's are great motors, basically a small block Chevy V8 with two cylinders lobbed off. Make sure you specify one for a 1988 though as the 4.3 Vortec went through several incarnations over the years and parts do not fit from one to the other. I found that out the hard way when I replaced a 95 Vortec 4.3 with a 96 engine..........nothing fit.

Don

Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
I agree with all the others, nowadays, everything comes in a box, cheaper, faster and better.

Personally I haven't mess with gm engines. Since the early 90, so I have no opinion.

As for tranny, I haven't seen a rebuilt tranny that last more than two years.

I d save up my money til the day it needs replacement..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive