Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times

Advertisements

So I have an early 90's model Plymouth Acclaim. When I bought the vehicle it only had 31,000 bmiles on it. Anyway, just the other day, I realized the my odometer is currently stuck and isn't counting mileage anymore.

Any Ideas oon how to fix this? Is it even possible to fix or replace? Its an old car and I doubt I could buy new parts for it now.

I hate to leave it this way because If I ever want to sell it, I wont be able to give an accurate mileage, plus I wont know how long until the next oil change. Any advice would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Probably a small nylon gear is slipping on a small shaft, and can't really be fixed unless you send the device to a shop that fixes these, and most car shops don't but can send yours out for the fixing.

The next best way is get a used working unit at the bone yard. Just write what yours says on masking tape and tape that to the new used unit. You might want another note taped in the glove box that says the same thing.

If yours is easy to get in and out and if you are very carefull you might slip a bit of super glue on a common pin into the joint and glue the gear to the shaft, which will work a while, but not forever.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
It's a broken gear, which you can order and attempt to replace, or look around and find a shop to do it. You might even send it out to someplace that advertises online if the price is right. Just use a GPS for speed while the speedometer is being repaired.

Or... you could buy a replacement cluster from eBay to use while yours is being repaired. Several ways to approach it, and it depends how handy you are. Having it fixed is probably not terribly expensive; it's a common failure in a lot of mechanical odometers, sometimes triggered by pushing the trip reset button while the car is in motion.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,115 times
Is this a beater? If so, I wouldn't even bother. Mileage is irrelevant at this point. Change oil every 3/6 months.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It's a broken gear, which you can order and attempt to replace, or look around and find a shop to do it. You might even send it out to someplace that advertises online if the price is right. Just use a GPS for speed while the speedometer is being repaired.

Or... you could buy a replacement cluster from eBay to use while yours is being repaired. Several ways to approach it, and it depends how handy you are. Having it fixed is probably not terribly expensive; it's a common failure in a lot of mechanical odometers, sometimes triggered by pushing the trip reset button while the car is in motion.
Yup that's how most of em get busted.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Take it to a used car dealer, they are experts at fixing odometers.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

The speedo is still working, the odometer is the only thing that failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Is this a beater? If so, I wouldn't even bother. Mileage is irrelevant at this point. Change oil every 3/6 months.
No, not a beater. This car, to spite it's age, is actually in excellent condition and was well taken care of by the po'r

Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM

I would definately have it professionaly fixed, I'm not handy when it comes to tedious gears and mechanisms.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
1990 was about the time many speedometers went with electrical pickups instead of cable. You have to check and see if yours is cable operated or not. Often the cable ends sheared off. I have had bad cables and bad speedometer heads.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Go to a certified state authorized speedometer/odometer shop and have it fixed. You'll also get a certificate showing that it's accurate. I did mine and it cost less than $50.00.
Many speedos are off 10-20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive