Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times

Advertisements

I've seen a new trend lately. And that is some people are intentionally driving through intersections with stop signs.

Not slowing down one bit! (In the past 30 years I've seen many drivers "slow and go".)

But these "new" drivers are BLAZING through stop signs. Anyone know why this is now being done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I haven't seen anything different with regard to stopping at stop signs.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
I haven't noticed any such trend myself; if anything I've seen more people (nearly) stopping at stop signs than a few months ago, though it's probably statistically insignificant.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
Washington DC is putting in a LOT of traffic cams -- stop sign cams for full stops, speed cams -- and even INTERSECTION speed cams. So now if I speed up to get THROUGH the intersection because I'm so close and don't want to stop IN the intersection they STILL want to give me a ticket. There ARE times when so close to the intersection it's best to speed up a bit to get through the yellow. They want to fine you for that too.

Personally, I resent all traffic cams, and the more they put in the more determined I am to get away with whatever I can get away with. The cams are nothing but a revenue maker. They say they're for safety. That's crap. Some cameras are in the middle of a block where no traffic crosses, and on road spots where there are no pedestrians either -- so what pedestrian 'safety' are they talking about?

I see:
-- people making left turns where there are MULTIPLE ''no left turn" signs.
-- U-turns made in the middle of the street
-- COPS breaking the very laws they enforce upon others.

I know the location of every camera on my main commute to work and two alternates. I slow down through the short place where the camera is -- and do what I want where there's no camera.

Everyone else does whatever the hell they want. I'm going to, too.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Strange... I have been seeing much more of this at one of my houses. There are a lot of stop signs and people don't roll them, they just drive through. Then again, they'll try to cut you down in a crosswalk up there too.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Washington DC is putting in a LOT of traffic cams -- stop sign cams for full stops, speed cams -- and even INTERSECTION speed cams. So now if I speed up to get THROUGH the intersection because I'm so close and don't want to stop IN the intersection they STILL want to give me a ticket. There ARE times when so close to the intersection it's best to speed up a bit to get through the yellow. They want to fine you for that too.

Personally, I resent all traffic cams, and the more they put in the more determined I am to get away with whatever I can get away with. The cams are nothing but a revenue maker. They say they're for safety. That's crap. Some cameras are in the middle of a block where no traffic crosses, and on road spots where there are no pedestrians either -- so what pedestrian 'safety' are they talking about?

I see:
-- people making left turns where there are MULTIPLE ''no left turn" signs.
-- U-turns made in the middle of the street
-- COPS breaking the very laws they enforce upon others.

I know the location of every camera on my main commute to work and two alternates. I slow down through the short place where the camera is -- and do what I want where there's no camera.

Everyone else does whatever the hell they want. I'm going to, too.
Appears that you are just the sort of "you're not the boss of me!" driver that makes traffic laws and traffic law enforcement and and traffic cams and fines necessary. Rather than taking a mature attitude towards the fact that you are in a multi-ton vehicle that can cause maiming and death and driving responsibly, you're childishly seeing how much you can get away with. And bragging about it, no less.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
It'll catch up with them sooner or later, my only accident in 32 years of driving was broad siding someone that ran a stop sign. As I was driving a wrecker with a push bumper on it the outcome was greatly in my favor.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
It's known as a California stop out here.
Yes, I have noticed that the speed in which it happens is getting higher though.
It's scarier to see when I'm riding my motorcycle.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:35 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Could be an effort to get better gas mileage. Maybe they rather give their money to the Judge than Ahab the Arab.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
It's known as a California stop out here.
Yes, I have noticed that the speed in which it happens is getting higher though.
It's scarier to see when I'm riding my motorcycle.
It's also known as the "California roll," as in sushi. I see it all the time out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive