Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times

Advertisements

I like to do it up aesthetically but not over the top. I actually like to look at my car. Even when i had an Isuzu (you can see it in the background there). Mid 30s.

Clear reflectors, tinted tails and windows, 15/20mm spacers, aero kit, 20" wheels, led angel eyes, GP Thunder 7500k fogs.

I actually got new wheels and they came in a gunmetal color but I'm going to plastidip them back to aluminum. Goes better with the white.

OP, as far as "big" tires go, there's trade-offs. Wider means more stability and better looks, but less mpg and more weight. I have 315 wide in the rear and I love the way it looks from behind, wouldn't ever give it up.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-26-2014 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,919,540 times
I apparently have the only stock 12 y.o. WRX in the country (just kidding of course, but still it is a car that is almost always modded), and owned by a middle aged guy no less. My good friend who owns The Subaru dealership where I got the car says it would be of very high demand, original, bug eyes and would sell in a flash just because of that. Since it only has 55k miles I'm keeping it for another 10 years I hope, and feel it is plenty powerful enough, a decent handler and I like the funky looks as is- no fart cans for me thank you very much!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,311,521 times
I'm 50, and grew up around hot rods and customs and race cars. There are very few cars that I wouldn't want to customize in some way. Most cars are mass produced committe developed compromises that may have good bones, but need certain things tweaked to make exactly how I'd want one.

As examples, my last two cars (before the leased Volt), my Mustang GT and my BMW 740iL. I like the basic cars, but wanted just slight visual and performance changes to match my aesthetic better:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Most cars aren't rare or particularly valuable in stock form, so spending some time and money making them more personal isn't a waste, to me.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,479,200 times
Wow love the way you did both of those cars merc

My dad has a 2006 mustang GT with only 20k miles, he keeps it bone stock

Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,401,064 times
I wouldn't change anything mechanical on any of my cars.

I like my wheels with more rubber and less metal, it's a smoother ride.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,123,479 times
I've never owned a single car that I've kept stock. Most of them get performance mods (more horsepower, better braking, or handling) and some of them get aesthetic mods (wheels, lowered, aftermarket bumper/hood.) Some cars get all of the above and then some, like an aftermarket stereo system.

There's only a handful of cars I'd buy that I wouldn't do any mods to, but they are out of my price range LOL

Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
Honestly, I typically don't leave a vehicle completely stock either. But my mods have some sort of purpose that makes my driving experience more enjoyable.

For instance on my 05 Titan I had the windows tinted and then I upgraded the entire stereo system (to include navigation) to match what many of the newer vehicles have now. No giant subwoofers here, but just a well balanced system. I also swapped the exhaust (very mild) for something a little more free flowing and added a tuner to help with fuel mileage just a bit, (or to add power if I am towing something). HID headlights to give me better driving visibility at night.

I enjoy the truck a lot more now and everything I've done can be swapped back very quickly as I kept all my factory parts. I tend to do this any time I buy a used vehicle that doesn't have all the bells and whistles I want.

It's all user preference. Do what you want to do since you need to be pleased with it. As for your chip, the 7.3 is an excellent engine however lacks a little in the performance area. Manufacturers tend to leave a lot on the table when they build a vehicle that could be well utilized. A properly installed chip will give it better pep while also netting you a little better mpg. You might want to consider giving it a try just to see if you like it since it's already there.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I'm 50, and grew up around hot rods and customs and race cars. There are very few cars that I wouldn't want to customize in some way. Most cars are mass produced committe developed compromises that may have good bones, but need certain things tweaked to make exactly how I'd want one.

As examples, my last two cars (before the leased Volt), my Mustang GT and my BMW 740iL. I like the basic cars, but wanted just slight visual and performance changes to match my aesthetic better:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Most cars aren't rare or particularly valuable in stock form, so spending some time and money making them more personal isn't a waste, to me.

Merc, I had those same wheels (in gunmetal with a polished lip) on my 03 Audi A4. LOVED them.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,843,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callendargirl View Post
Ive come across a lot of pressure from my peers to modify my 7.3 excursion. The majority of my peers feel the need to roll coal. I find it so incredibly childish, which makes me feel old. , I have no intentions of doing such a thing. I honestly believe lifts, tunes, chips, big tires are only asking for more problems. Why ruin a good truck?

Is this constant need to modify a vehicle limited to my generation (mid 20s)?
Who else prefers their vehicles to remain stock?
Drivetrain/suspension mods for looks only are a bad idea in my opinion and unless you plan to go rock-crawling (bad idea in an Excursion!) or play in mud pits a big lift and tires won't help you anywhere except for bad-ass looks.

Anyway, I recently got my 6th jeep and have been razzed by my friends already for deciding to leave it as-is. I'm tired of breaking stuff and spending thousands of dollars to upgrade and it's a Rubicon anyway so it's plenty capable as-is.

Remember too, with few exceptions a stock vehicle will hold it's value better in the long run and it will almost always be more reliable.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,491,521 times
I'd bet people have been modifying their since the 1920's. The earliest I can remember seeing was a 1953 Chevy equipped with a pair of curb feelers. Now that was a serious modification!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive