Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times

Advertisements

Interesting read:

The Driverless Car Tipping Point Is Coming Soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Yeah no thanks.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
It is an interesting read but the biggest hurdle to driverless cars isn't going to be their costs, its going to be their liability.

When driver error is the reason for a crash, we have insurance and personal lawsuits. When manufacturer defects cause recalls, we have lawsuits. What happens when a driverless car crashes? Who's to blame? You can bet lawyers will not be selective when they are fishing for millions of dollars.

That reason alone keeps traditional automakers very conservative on autonomous vehicles, which is why we see the most progress right now from a company like Google. Auto execs state that Google 'doesn't get it' when it comes to protecting themselves, and I think they're right. Still, I welcome the day I can have an autonomous vehicle so I don't have to deal with poor drivers.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:06 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
"Nissan, Audi and Toyota, are intensifying their efforts to develop advanced autonomous-driving technology, it's safe to say that driverless cars could go mainstream in about 10 to 15 years" - THis would make sense since many young people have no interest in driving at all. It would allow them to text their hearts out while still riding in "Mom's Taxi".

Cisco is predicting 2015-2019. Agreed on the accident issues...It is going to depend on how reliable the vehicles are and how the insurance policies are written.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah no thanks.
Except you won't have a choice, unless you want to pay risk insurance. There will be times when you will not be allowed to drive your own car, like on freeways in heavy traffic ect.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 PM

The next 20 years is going to be so interesting in the automotive field. If you live in a big city/suburban area you not have a choice but to have a driverless car. Taking the human equation out of driving, the passive aggressiveness, the idiotic lane changes, the aggressive moronics you see on a daily basis will disappear with driverless cars.

People are going to lose their connection with their cars. No longer will people feel the need to spend 50 grand more than necessary for a car to prop up their fragile egos. No one will care anymore. I think cars will become very nondescript which will be fine with me. Point A to B is all I ask in the safest manner possible.

I'm so fed up with drivers, especially on freeways. The absolute stupid antics that cause 90% of the backups and accidents will be a thing of the past.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM

Also, I see very few people actually OWNING a car. I think you will subscribe to a car service and with your smart phone will order a ride and the car will come and pick you up, drop you off and go on to it's next job. You will pay either a flat fee or a per trip charge.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
"When autonomous vehicles are proven safe for roads, at scale, insurance companies will pass on significant rewards to those using such a vehicle," Pandit said. "Even today, many insurers will pass on savings if the vehicle owners allow access to driving parameters such as speed, location, time and acceleration/deceleration patterns."
isnt that what they said about 5mph bumpers? along with other safety improvements? i also say thanks but no thanks.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Also, I see very few people actually OWNING a car. I think you will subscribe to a car service and with your smart phone will order a ride and the car will come and pick you up, drop you off and go on to it's next job. You will pay either a flat fee or a per trip charge.
I don't see that happening for the average American the way employment is now. The majority of Americans work an eight hour day. There would have to be a lot of idle cars sitting around to service these workers. I doubt any company could charge enough to have idle inventory sitting around to service the "rush hour" crowd.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Except you won't have a choice, unless you want to pay risk insurance. There will be times when you will not be allowed to drive your own car, like on freeways in heavy traffic ect.
Yeah maybe eventually all cars will have it as the high end models get the tech it will trickle down to base models as time goes on and simple attrition. Hell look how long it took the government to pass a law on making a rear view camera monitor a standard in every new car. You really think this autonomous drive tech will just be passed that easy? No way. And what happens to the millions of cars on the road that don't have the tech. What about the person who doesn't have the money but they still need to get to work? You're persecuting/financially burdening people that don't have the money. I believe it will be a optional accessory that will give you a discount on your insurance if you use it. But to firce it on everyone I doubt it will fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive