Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,313,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
so working with these numbers:

$330 lease cost + $30 tax? = $360
Insurance = $150
Gas (at 1200 miles/month, 25mpg, $4.25/gal (cost in CA)) = $204
Maintenance = $24
downpayment $4k amortized to 36 mos = $111

Monthly cost of ownership = $849/month
We are talking purchase price here. Why are you throwing in all the other stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,093,792 times
Quote:
so working with these numbers:

$330 lease cost + $30 tax? = $360
Insurance = $150
Gas (at 1200 miles/month, 25mpg, $4.25/gal (cost in CA)) = $204
Maintenance = $24
downpayment $4k amortized to 36 mos = $111

Monthly cost of ownership = $849/month
Lets make this more realistic for something like a BMW 320i (I'll leave out the effect of MSD's as that muddies the waters, but they can significantly reduce the payment. Optimally you'd want to max out the MSDs and put 0 down, which would shave off about $50/mo)

$309 lease cost + $30 tax? = $339
Insurance = $65 ($150 if you wreck a lot!)
Gas (at 800 miles/month, 28mpg, $4.25/gal (cost in CA)) = $121 (base lease is 10K/yr no reason you have to drive that car 15K/yr)
Maintenance = $0
down payment $3500 (2750 down, 750 acquisition fee) amortized to 36 mos = $97

Monthly cost of ownership = $622/month

Bumping this up to the mid level 328i adds around $50/mo.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,809,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We are talking purchase price here. Why are you throwing in all the other stuff?
not purchase price, we are talking about how much of a budget needs to be allocated towards a econobox leased and driven 15000 mi/yr vs a cheapest possible luxury marque. The cost of operation is higher (fuel, insurance, maintenance etc.) with luxury cars hence that needs to be in the equation as well.

What we are trying to figure out is a rough monthly dollar value as to how much extra it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Monthly cost of ownership = $622/month

Bumping this up to the mid level 328i adds around $50/mo.
So, what would your calculation be for a Toyota Corolla LE using the exact same parameters?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 AM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Why reinvent the wheel?

Corolla LE
2014 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic True Cost to Own

320i
2014 BMW 3 Series 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 8-speed Automatic True Cost to Own

Couple hundred bucks a month. Good enough for napkin math.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,104,406 times
this is a pretty strange cross comparison

Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,527,143 times
Quote:
Let's get it straight here... i've always thought that luxury cars are a money pit any way you slice it even if one is leasing. So, when you see someone driving a Mercedes, BMW or Lexus, regardless of model, you can come to the conclusion that the guy/gal is paying quite a bit for it. Agree with me here? Note, that I did not necessarily say that they could comfortably afford it, just that they pay a lot for it.

Well, was chatting with a friend the other day and he was saying how it wasn't that much more to drive a Mercedes vs driving a Corolla, I thought this was totally ridiculous.

Can you contrast the cost difference between driving a basic Toyota Corolla vs driving the cheapest Mercedes in the cheapest way possible? Leasing + extra cost for premium fuel + extra cost for insurance + much higher maintenance cost + lease overrage charges + origination, disposition and the BS fees that come with a lease etc. etc.

I was thinking it was $350/month for the Corolla vs something like $1000/month total cost of operation including gas for the C230 Merc.
If you compare a new Corolla to an older BMW/Mercedes, then you are probably looking at similar costs. You can probably get the luxury car at a lower purchase price, but you'll need to have a maintenance/repair fund ready. If you target a car that has only had one owner, with maintenance records, and with reasonably low mileage, then you are likely getting a vehicle that has been well taken care of and will drive like new with a tune-up.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:22 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,809,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
this is a pretty strange cross comparison
we're debating whether the total costs of driving a luxury car is only incrementally more than driving an econobox because this argument is made by many. Why drive a Corolla when you can spend only $100 more and drive a Mercedes... well, my thoughts were that you cannot. It would cost hundreds of $$ more a month to drive even the cheapest Merc over the most expensive Toyota Corolla.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
we're debating whether the total costs of driving a luxury car is only incrementally more than driving an econobox because this argument is made by many. Why drive a Corolla when you can spend only $100 more and drive a Mercedes... well, my thoughts were that you cannot. It would cost hundreds of $$ more a month to drive even the cheapest Merc over the most expensive Toyota Corolla.
Yeah, about $200.

If you're talking about leased luxury versus buying a Corolla, it's not even that. For the two years I had payments on my last car, the payments where about what the lease on a 5-series would be.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,657,717 times
Quote:
Let's get it straight here... i've always thought that luxury cars are a money pit any way you slice it even if one is leasing. So, when you see someone driving a Mercedes, BMW or Lexus, regardless of model, you can come to the conclusion that the guy/gal is paying quite a bit for it. Agree with me here? Note, that I did not necessarily say that they could comfortably afford it, just that they pay a lot for it.

Well, was chatting with a friend the other day and he was saying how it wasn't that much more to drive a Mercedes vs driving a Corolla, I thought this was totally ridiculous.

Can you contrast the cost difference between driving a basic Toyota Corolla vs driving the cheapest Mercedes in the cheapest way possible? Leasing + extra cost for premium fuel + extra cost for insurance + much higher maintenance cost + lease overrage charges + origination, disposition and the BS fees that come with a lease etc. etc.

I was thinking it was $350/month for the Corolla vs something like $1000/month total cost of operation including gas for the C230 Merc.
Depends on what you call luxury. I personally feel a Benz is money pit, especially when you can get an Audi, with more standard stuff I'll never use for less!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 PM

431 posts, read 600,689 times
Quote:

Here's how mine breaks down - Fully loaded Infiniti G37x. Stickers for around $45K. I leased it for no money down and $380 per month. Overage charges are 10c a mile but that's not an issue as I wouldn't lease my car if I were to go over the 12,000 per year I pay for. Insurance is a whole $12 per month more that the Prius my wife drives. The bulk of our insurance payment seems to be various liabilities. As for premium gas, pretty much anything with a bit of performance needs it. Fuel is pricey, but still less that someone driving a giant SUV or pickup.

Why is leasing luxury cars reasonably inexpensive? It's usually down to residual values. They're high on the luxury brands. My Infiniti has a 3 year residual of 66%. A Ford Fusion is around 49% last time I looked. The high end brands pretty much subsidize these to get more out on the road.

At the end of the day, like everything, it's a choice. I'd rather drive a nice car and change it every three years that buy something cheap and keep is for 6 or 7 years. It's my treat to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive