Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
how would he know she lives in co?
He wouldn't necessarily "know" she lives in Colorado which is why I said he might question her address. And maybe it wouldn't come up.

But if she's lived there over a years she's certainly updated her car registration by now so he might wonder why she's driving a car with CO plates when she has a FL license. And even if she's still sporting Florida plates and a Florida address on her insurance card, it's likely that a trooper stopping an out-of-state car for driving like a bat out of Hades - especially in a state where buying pot legally and bootlegging it across state lines is a concern - is going to ask enough questions to flush out this information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I am deathly afraid to fly. Do you have any idea of how much it costs to fly within 24 hours?? Try $1700 through AA/United that are the only direct flights to Miami. Plus the cost of renting a car and trying to find a place to board my cat for 2 weeks. I don't have that kind of money. I drove 2000 miles in two days trying to see my mother.

I'm not denying my responsibility in any aspect. I'm not blaming anybody at all. I am FULL AWARE of what I was doing and I would do it again in a heartbeat if put in that situation again. Where in my OP does it say that??? And trust me-I was getting smoked by other drivers so don't tell me I was the only person putting families at risk.

For the record I'm a female and my speeding ticket to Denver was for 5 mph over the speed limit FYI.

Again people the fines are getting paid either way-the question is to take the chance on paying the attorney the additional $300 which is NOT guaranteed to help me with anything.

And my having my FL dl living in CO has nothing to do with this at all.

When my mother was on her deathbed with cancer, I drove out to see her whenever I got the chance. You said you had not gone to see her in over a year..... unfortunately only one person could make the decision to go or not. Make the time and figure out the money. When we knew my mother's time was getting near, I stayed for two weeks until she passed. I would have used credit cards or any means necessary to get there.

Your speeding seems to be a pattern if you've already gotten other tickets. So you can't blame the trooper for doing his job. (calling him names is an insinuation of blame)

Quite frankly, if choosing between my cat and my mom, well I guess you can figure out who would win. If a friend can't keep the cat and it couldn't go with me it would be in a shelter.

As for the tickets... just pay them and roll on. If you're going to speed for any reason, you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I appreciate you understanding my position. If I could have I would have. I have to live with the fact that I didn't get to see her before she died everyday. Let alone not speak with her 2 weeks prior to her dying due to certain conditions.

Not all cops are bad. I understand he was only doing his job and that's fine. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to financially handle it and see how others would do the same

Seriously if your Mother was that important to you then you would have seen her within the last year instead of waiting until she was closer to death.
The cat could have stayed home with a bag of food out, several bowls of water in different areas of the house and a few fresh boxes of cat litter.
You may have some mess to clean up when you get home but the trade off is worth it in my opinion.

In regards to your original question I think it would be smart for you to take the least expensive way out of the ticket.
Since you cannot afford a plane ticket you cannot afford the more expensive option in regards to the speeding ticket.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am with the original poster. I myself personally think most speed limits are a joke, certainly the system is, and I think people ought to be able to drive however the heck they feel like, so long as they don't REALLY endanger others (or inconvenience them either) and be left completely 100% alone by the law otherwise. If it were me, 98% of all traffic enforcement would be completely abolished. I would still leave the 2% remaining because naturally you do need some enforcement to deal with drunks who kill innocents, and people driving slow in the fast lane or almost running over a child, but otherwise, just stay out of it. "Speed kills" is a mantra made up by morons, it's like saying "penises kill" because of rapists so we should therefore castrate all men at birth.

I can tell you that in my years of driving, most places I've been the speed limits bear no resemblance to reality, and are a joke. I've been in 2 accidents in nearly 20 years, both very minor, so frankly that to me means my driving is just fine the way it is. Let me drive, leave me alone, I know what I'm doing. I don't need some idiot driving a black & white car with a bubble-gum machine on the hood lecturing me how to drive when I already know how without the unnecessary nagging. If I almost run someone over, or I'm in the fast lane refusing to move out of other's way, then fine--otherwise, just leave me alone. Go patronize a donut shop or something.
we dont have the roads in this country for high speed driving of the nature you are suggesting. they are far too rough, and the curves are far too sharp for that.

and even if we did have the road conditions, we dont teach our drivers to handle the high speeds, and we certainly dont have the lane discipline for proper high speed driving.

as for that "idiot in the black and white bubble gum machine" he likely has far more hours of intense training in high speed driving than you do, as well as training in proper handling of the vehicle. so unless you have real race experience, and not club racing either but something more like professional racing experience, you are not as good as you think you are.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we dont have the roads in this country for high speed driving of the nature you are suggesting. they are far too rough, and the curves are far too sharp for that.
Not that I necessarily have the aspiration of doing 100, but if the roads are rough, then un-rough them. If they're curvy, straighten them.

Quote:
as for that "idiot in the black and white bubble gum machine" he likely has far more hours of intense training in high speed driving than you do, as well as training in proper handling of the vehicle. so unless you have real race experience, and not club racing either but something more like professional racing experience, you are not as good as you think you are.
I would say 2 very minor accidents in 20 years is qualification enough to be left alone and not be harassed by the fuzz.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:

Oh please. Let's not get carried away. Take a look at the demographic of your average cop--remember those guys who sat in the back of the room in high school, had no idea which end of the pencil to use, and could barely have a cogent thought, let alone write it down in the form of a sentence? That's your basic cop material.

That issue aside, they do what they do. And we pay them handsomely to do so. It gives them station in life.

About the ticket. You have pretty much outlined the choices: pay it all, get dinged by the insurance company and walk away. Or pay a few extra bucks and see if you can get it knocked down to something less costly, particularly on the insurance front.

You a gambling man? Take the shot to get it knocked down. If it bothered me that much, I would do the latter. A few bucks to the local attorney and he will 'chat' with his buddy the prosecutor, tell them what a nice guy you are and were just on the way to your mom's death bed, and they'll work out a little deal. You'll pay the same by the time you are done with the attorney calling in a favor, but maybe save a few bucks in the long term with the insurance company.

Good luck. Don't get indignant. Just be a nice boy and see if you can hustle your way out of the worst of it.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
..............What would you do?
Never speed again.
As you alluded, it was fruitless as your mother died before you got there.

You called the State Trooper, who may have saved your life, a POS. He is not. He is working on behalf of the rest of us whom you view as speed bumps. We're glad he stopped you.

Stop. Start over.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am with the original poster. I myself personally think most speed limits are a joke, certainly the system is, and I think people ought to be able to drive however the heck they feel like, so long as they don't REALLY endanger others (or inconvenience them either) and be left completely 100% alone by the law otherwise. If it were me, 98% of all traffic enforcement would be completely abolished. I would still leave the 2% remaining because naturally you do need some enforcement to deal with drunks who kill innocents, and people driving slow in the fast lane or almost running over a child, but otherwise, just stay out of it. "Speed kills" is a mantra made up by morons, it's like saying "penises kill" because of rapists so we should therefore castrate all men at birth.

I can tell you that in my years of driving, most places I've been the speed limits bear no resemblance to reality, and are a joke. I've been in 2 accidents in nearly 20 years, both very minor, so frankly that to me means my driving is just fine the way it is. Let me drive, leave me alone, I know what I'm doing. I don't need some idiot driving a black & white car with a bubble-gum machine on the hood lecturing me how to drive when I already know how without the unnecessary nagging. If I almost run someone over, or I'm in the fast lane refusing to move out of other's way, then fine--otherwise, just leave me alone. Go patronize a donut shop or something.
All completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Police officers don't make the laws, they simply enforce them. If you have a beef with speed limits or other traffic laws by all means take it up with the governing authorities and maybe they'll consider changing it.

Or if you're the kind of person who just likes to **** and moan about how things are and not really do anything about it, that's fine; but at least **** and moan about the right parties. Unless you prefer to look like an ignorant boob, of course.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
This post isn't to lecture me on my driving habits people. I wasn't disrespectful to him at all. I just asked him to hurry due to my situation. Several ex's are cops in Miami. My brother is a FF in Miami-don't pull this respect BS on me.

I find it funny how people are telling me to stop speeding when MY MOTHER IS ON HER DEATHBED AND I"M TRYING TO SEE HER BEFORE SHE DIES. I hadn't seen her in a year since moving out to Denver. I guess everyone else would just be cruising along with no urgency..
Would've been cheaper and faster to fly.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Oh please. Let's not get carried away. Take a look at the demographic of your average cop--remember those guys who sat in the back of the room in high school, had no idea which end of the pencil to use, and could barely have a cogent thought, let alone write it down in the form of a sentence? That's your basic cop material.
What do you base this on? Any real data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive