Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:38 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times

Advertisements

I had a driving instructor only teach me how to use the biting point of the clutch to stop the car from rolling back when taking off up a hill. So then, I was wondering after watching various Youtube videos regarding hills starts, what the disadvantage is when using the handbrake while balancing the clutch and throttle during an uphill move-off, other than just a little more wear on the brakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:00 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Your instructor probably has had too many students who could not handle the amount of hand-eye-foot coordination needed to include the handbrake on a hill.

The amount of wear on the handbrake would be minimal, and in most all cars the handbrake system is separate from the regular brakes.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't teach someone to do that either, because you'll never learn.

If that's the only way you've learned, what does one do in a car with a parking brake that is a pedal on the floor?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Using the clutch to hold your position on a hill is bad for more than a second or two. Slipping the clutch for extended periods of time will cause premature wear on the clutch. Clutches are relatively expensive to repair and service compared to brakes or the parking brake.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Thanks for the replies. Regarding a parking brake on the floor of a car with a manual tranny, what vehicle models have that? I'd think that with a throttle, brake, clutch, and dead pedal, things would get really cramped with a fifth thing on the floor.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Thanks for the replies. Regarding a parking brake on the floor of a car with a manual tranny, what vehicle models have that? I'd think that with a throttle, brake, clutch, and dead pedal, things would get really cramped with a fifth thing on the floor.
Pickup trucks tend to have a foot activated emergency brake even if they're manual.

I use the hand brake to hold the car when parallel parking on steep hills. The .5 seconds between the time the clutch hooks up is enough to roll back into the car behind you, especially if a pedestrian, bike or car zips into the lane you're pulling in or out of. The split second it takes to react to a moving obstacle is enough to cause quite a bit of damage if you're forced to rely on the brake pedal to avoid someone. Even worse if the road is slick. The drive wheels might not even get traction.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Quote:

My 92 Ford Tempo did. Ford Explorers did, F-150's did...I'm sure there are lots.

It really wasn't bad under there.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't teach someone to do that either, because you'll never learn.

If that's the only way you've learned, what does one do in a car with a parking brake that is a pedal on the floor?
Keep your hand on the pbrake release as you heel/toe, I guess.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:36 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Usually any vehicle with a front bench seat option, or a far from floor seat height, like a minivan or suv. For some reason all suvs even low seated ones like S10 blazers- but those could be had with a front bench seat and on the s10 truck frame, too...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Foot Pedal Parking Brakes are probably more common than you might think, Exitus.

Not certain but I believe most, if not all older Jeeps are so equipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive