Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 43,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I purchased a used car from a low volume dealership (Chicagoland area) 6 weeks ago and transferred my plates from old car. To this day, my plates have not been updated with the new car's information. Still no registration card and no title.

I called the dealership at least three times in the past few weeks and they say the process takes 4 to 6 weeks. Fine. One week ago I called and they told me the application has been mailed to the secretary of state and should be done by the end of the week. The week is now over and still nothing. Are they pulling my chain? I am losing my patience and thinking there might be some funny business going on. Possible lean on the title that the dealership has and didnt tell me about at time of purchase??? Or I'm just overreacting.

This would be the eight car I bought in my life and have been transfering my plates from 2006. I've never had this issue - the plate transfer would take a few days at the most.

How would you guys suggest I proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,149 times
call the dmv?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
You need to show up there and get your money back. Are you driving on 30 days tags? Paid a paperwork fee for them to do the title work?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarabajai View Post
Hello everyone,

I purchased a used car from a low volume dealership (Chicagoland area) 6 weeks ago and transferred my plates from old car. To this day, my plates have not been updated with the new car's information. Still no registration card and no title.

I called the dealership at least three times in the past few weeks and they say the process takes 4 to 6 weeks. Fine. One week ago I called and they told me the application has been mailed to the secretary of state and should be done by the end of the week. The week is now over and still nothing. Are they pulling my chain? I am losing my patience and thinking there might be some funny business going on. Possible lean on the title that the dealership has and didnt tell me about at time of purchase??? Or I'm just overreacting.

This would be the eight car I bought in my life and have been transfering my plates from 2006. I've never had this issue - the plate transfer would take a few days at the most.

How would you guys suggest I proceed?

Was there a trade-in involved? They won't complete your paperwork until all the loans have been paid off and financing approved for your new car. It took about that much time for my last car purchase.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:15 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,041 times
Go to the site below and click on the vehicle tab, then go from there !!!!

The Official Website for Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White - www.cyberdriveillinois.com

Title and Registration Inquiry and type in your VIN

If your still not happy call them !!!!

Contact Us

Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 PM

N

Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 PM

No trade in. Cash purchase.

Called the dealer today and was finally able to get the "document number". Apparently It took them 25 days to mail the transfer application to the dmv. Then, I called the sec of state with the doc number and they were able to track the application. said it was received on 7/31 and it can take up to 30 days to process. I feel a little better now.

But I still have an issue with the dealer. It took them 25 days to mail the application. There has to be a law regulating the time period dealership has to get the application in? Anyone know??

Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,692 times
Purchased vehicle over 7 months ago. Car lot never registered my car or tag. Tag not registered to new car shows old car. Car not registered to my name. If im pulled over it will appear i have attached illegal tag to my car and car does not show me as owner. Can I sue. I could have went to jail for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive