Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times

Advertisements

We have a 2014 Honda Oddesy and within the first week of owning it we got check engine lights on (four different warning codes. One was for the forward collision warning, don't recall off the top of my head the other codes). I called the dealer they told me to bring the car in immediately. I did and they kept it two days and they replaced one coil.

Ff to a month later, while travelling with the car out of state, got the same check engine warning lights. Called and took it into a local dealer where we were. I made sure the svc. mgr. talked to our original technicians about the problem, but this time they said there was no fix. Grrreat.

So, my sister suggested I look into the Lemon Law and in Virginia it gives the dealer 3 times to fix the problem, unsuccessfully, before you can claim LL. I understand there are some hoops to jump through but I wonder how difficult the process is if you want to return the car and just get your money back. I wanted a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about repairs and headaches that go along with an unreliable car....

Anyone have any experience with the lemon law and would you mind sharing your story, please?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM

522 posts, read 721,943 times
what do you mean there is no fix for that?
It is a new car, how can there be no fix for an issue? If there is no fix, they owe you a new part (sounds like short block in your case)

Lemon law requires to have the vehicle to spend time in repair bay for 30+ days, with no resolution.

I think you may want to call Honda Coorporate

Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Being that it's brand new, mention it to them, and often, they will just replace the vehicle with few to no questions asked. As long as there are no glaring issues on your part. And yes, Foques is right. Generally, Lemon Law requires the vehicle to be disabled for long periods of time.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Generally, Lemon Law requires the vehicle to be disabled for long periods of time.
It really depends on the particular state.
In NJ, for instance, there is no stipulation that your car has to be disabled for any particular length of time. Three failed repair attempts (for the same problem) qualifies you for this relief--if you know your rights and if you complete the required forms from the Office of The Attorney General.

I used my legal training to help a friend with his "troubled" Toyota, and in my demand letter to Toyota corporate, I mentioned that one more failed repair attempt would qualify him for a full refund--including taxes and fees--under the terms of NJ's Lemon Law. (Quoting the exact text of the statute helps to prove that you know your rights.)

The third repair attempt was performed by Toyota's Regional Service Supervisor and a Japanese engineer who appeared to not speak English when we were introduced to him. Within ~3 hours, they resolved the problems that the "factory trained" Toyota mechanics at the dealership had been unable to resolve on the previous two attempts.

So...if you know the exact details of the law as it pertains to your state, and if you make it clear to the manufacturer that you know your rights under this law, they will frequently move heaven and earth in order to NOT have to provide relief under the terms of your state's Lemon Law.

The OP needs to study the Lemon Law for her state, retain all documentation, and then act accordingly.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Before invoking the lemon law I'd probably go back to the dealer and give them the opportunity to make it right first.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
cc everything to Honda N/A...dealer will move everything at lightening speed.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Lemon laws vary from State to WState. Read here and pick out your state...
Lemon Laws by State - Lemon Law Attorneys at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

OP here's your Virginia lemon law section...
Virginia Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
There is currently no fix per Honda. They're cleared the codes after doing in depth checks. Yeah, not the confidence you expect with a new car.

Va law is similar to NJ, thanks for the info Retiever.

What I'm trying to understand is the process. While i understand what's written about the law, I've read about some easy returns as well as some that end up in meditation because the company bulks. I was curious if anyone here has been through the process? Was it a battle?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I have a close friend that had a real BAD F250 Powerjoke truck that he had Ford buy back. This is Texas and our Lemon Laws suck real bad. He had to go thru an attorney and that cost him about 3 grand. Then once Ford said okay we'll buy the truck back, they charged him, legally, 54 cents for every mile on the truck. By the time they got thru with him they wrote him a check for about half of what it cost him. Instead of the grief, I'd strongly suggest trading it in another vehicle, obviously not a Honda and I'd avoid the Chrysler products too especially if it has the Pentastar engine. That engine is a known problem child and there's no fix for the bad head design except new heads that have not been made yet. Chrysler's fix is new head gaskets that will usually get the engine out of warranty and then it's yer problem.

But before you do that, you need to go back to your dealer and get the information as what they can't fix. If it has to do with the variable displacement or fuel management system, ask them if they have the newest PCM flash to eliminate that feature. It's in the programming. It may not get as good of fuel mileage but it can help a lot if that is the issue.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
I have sent back 3 brand new cars.....E500, GL SUV, A6......Benzes were easy, they knew they had a problem car and the A6 was tedious but they finally took it back. Document everything from issues to days out of service....everything counts/adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive