Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,048,028 times

Advertisements

When a lane is right-turn only or left-turn only, do we still have to signal our turn? Turns are used to alert other drivers of our intentions & if we're in a turn-only lane, is that enough of a signal of our intentions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,373,940 times
If you are turning you use the turn signal.
Before you approach the turn only lane you should have had your signal on anyway, indicating that you were moving into the turn lane, why would you turn it off once you get in the lane?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,696,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are turning you use the turn signal.
Before you approach the turn only lane you should have had your signal on anyway, indicating that you were moving into the turn lane, why would you turn it off once you get in the lane?

Of course you would signal if you have to change lanes to get into the turn only lane. But, how about if the lane you are in becomes a turn only lane? I've wondered the same thing as the OP.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,249,055 times
Regardless of the law it is always prudent to use the signal when turning left on a bi-directional road as to notify oncoming traffic. Turn right only, not nearly as necessary.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 PM

2,781 posts, read 5,185,783 times
It is simple, you turn when you change direction & lane!

What gets me is the idiots who don't signal when they get out of round-about and slow everybody down who wants to enter but not sure about their intention...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM

7,532 posts, read 13,689,049 times
CT state statutes says "Any person who operates on any highway any motor vehicle.......equipped with a turn signal .................fails to use the same when making any stop or turn.......shall be fined

Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,249,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
It is simple, you turn when you change direction & lane!

What gets me is the idiots who don't signal when they get out of round-about and slow everybody down who wants to enter but not sure about their intention...
Hmm... maybe people just are not used to them? We have a few 5 split roundabouts very near, one that I use twice a day, everyone flies through it, no signals, without problem. Then again we don't really think twice about cutting it close in front of another driver, its just the general driving attitude and it is not considered offensive around here.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,291,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
When a lane is right-turn only or left-turn only, do we still have to signal our turn? Turns are used to alert other drivers of our intentions & if we're in a turn-only lane, is that enough of a signal of our intentions?
Yes. Use the turn signal. The same if you are driving on a runabout. In this case, you should signal other drives if you intend to change direction.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,507,647 times
Yes, use the turn signal even in a dedicated turn lane. And ESPECIALLY when turning out of a round about.

Just think about it... the person behind you* can't read your mind and may not even realize the lane is a turn lane. Or you might be one of those people who drifts into a turn without intending to and then divebombs out of it at the last moment... and putting on your turn signal allows them to relax with the knowledge that you are actually intentional about the direction you seem to be heading for.

Bottom line to me... it is so simple and easy to flick the turn signal on, I really don't understand why anyone ever DOESN'T use their turn signal. Every time!

*And don't forget, someone in front of you may be trying to figure out if you're turning or not, so they know whether it is safe to go or not. Don't you just hate waiting and waiting and waiting for an oncoming car to pass you, and then at the last second they teurn without ever signalling?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,904,127 times
I even use my signal inside our community when no other cars are near me, and also on the road if I am the only car around. Just habit and how I was taught.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive