Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM

62 posts, read 263,018 times

Advertisements

Few days ago, as I was following a FFX county police car to a left turn only lane. The car in front was waiting to turn left without the left turn signal on and the police car immediately turned on his flashing light and pulled that car over. I had my left turn signal on that moment, but many times before I forgot. I wonder if turn signals were be requirements in Virginia? I understand it is necessary for lane change or turning from traveling lanes but in a turn only lane, would I get a ticket if I did not have it on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
It's still a requirement. I've never seen someone get pulled over for this though.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Yes, it is required, and thus, you can get a ticket.

From page 17 of the VA Driver's manual:

[LEFT]When you plan to change lanes, turn, or enter or exit a
highway, first give the proper turn signal. Using your turn
signal, which is required by law, communicates your intended
movement to drivers around you. Develop a good habit and
use turn signals or hand signals even if no other traffic is on[/LEFT]
the road.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv39.pdf

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
As others have said, you do need to use it.

Please do as well. In my area there are a few places where there are very wide shoulders next to the turn lanes, so sometimes when driving the other way, it is hard to know that someone is in the turn lane or not. (Add that to the 4 way stop signs, and traffic coming the other direction is waiting and just guessing if the car will turn or not.)

Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You sure he pulled him over for that and not something else like an expired registration or safety sticker?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM

62 posts, read 263,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You sure he pulled him over for that and not something else like an expired registration or safety sticker?
That was my first thought. The car was a BMW and looked very new. Its registration expires in 2014. I could now see the safety sticker because I was behind him and so was the cop.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Police also have those auto-scanners now that sweep license plates, so if any red flags popped up on his display he would have pulled him over.

I hope it's that, because otherwise it would be really lame, even if technically legitimate, to get a ticket for no signal in a turn-only lane.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
The Virginia Code says:

Quote:
Every driver who intends to back, stop, turn, or partly turn from a direct line shall first see that such movement can be made safely and, whenever the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such movement, shall give the signals required in this article, plainly visible to the driver of such other vehicle, of his intention to make such movement.
Virginia Code about turn signals

IMHO, this pretty much says it doesn't matter if the lane you're in is only for turning and everyone around knows that, you still need the signal to say "=I'M= turning".

[as an aside, any police officer giving a ticket for not using a signal while IN a turn-only lane is just issuing a Turkey Ticket...this assumes the officer is not issuing a ticket for ENTERING the turn-only lane without a signal]

Last edited by sullyguy; 03-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Added aside

Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM

267 posts, read 511,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
As others have said, you do need to use it.

Please do as well. In my area there are a few places where there are very wide shoulders next to the turn lanes, so sometimes when driving the other way, it is hard to know that someone is in the turn lane or not. (Add that to the 4 way stop signs, and traffic coming the other direction is waiting and just guessing if the car will turn or not.)
But...but...if I use my turn signals then the car in the next lane will speed up and cut me off

Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
But...but...if I use my turn signals then the car in the next lane will speed up and cut me off
That's why you signal AS you start your lane change (assuming you actually have room and are not gong slower than the other vehicle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia