Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times

Advertisements

I can't find an actual list, but I believe that most states do not require a motorcycle endorsement to drive the Elio. Their vague FAQ section only states:
Quote:
Q: Can I drive this with my existing license?

Many states do not require a motorcycle license to operate the vehicle, a regular driver’s license is usually enough. Check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
I have to say, these guys are a lot farther along with a much more promising business model than I would have expected. The steps to have Pep Boys doing maintenance seems like a good move. The idea for people to make an automated "car payment" equivalent to the amount of money they're saving on gas is brilliant, even if a little gimmicky. I wish them luck.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
You'll have to wear a helmet if you travel in states that require it, and eye protection if they don't have an exemption for motorcycles with windshields. There are other restrictions in some states for carrying passengers (sometimes until you've had your license for x years)...

Motorcycle tires are generally fairly expensive, and don't last terribly long due to the traction requirements...

Safety may be an issue for some, it's a motorcycle so the usual government mandated safety features of a car do not apply... that's a huge cost savings.

The motor is anemic, a 900cc motorcycle engine will easily make twice the horsepower.. The specs are missing a lot of details (torque would be more useful). I'd be concerned about it's ability to maintain highway speed in hilly areas...

Last edited by braindead0; 08-25-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM

522 posts, read 721,943 times
for 6800 it seems like an amazing deal.
Ferrari makes something like this, but for ~25K

Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I can't find an actual list, but I believe that most states do not require a motorcycle endorsement to drive the Elio. Their vague FAQ section only states:
I put this in the category of "Wishful Thinking." Unless they are willing to pay for the millions of dollars worth of crash testing (which they can't currently pass) and other testing and documentation required to earn DOT certification, it won't be allowed to be licensed as a car. Federal rules trump state rules in this regard.

Matter of fact, the lower standards and lower construction costs and lower licensing costs for a motorcycle are exactly the reason the Morgan Roadster was designed as a three wheeler in the first place.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
You'll have to wear a helmet if you travel in states that require it, and eye protection if they don't have an exemption for motorcycles with windshields. There are other restrictions in some states for carrying passengers (sometimes until you've had your license for x years)...

Motorcycle tires are generally fairly expensive, and don't last terribly long due to the traction requirements...

Safety may be an issue for some, it's a motorcycle so the usual government mandated safety features of a car do not apply... that's a huge cost savings.

The motor is anemic, a 900cc motorcycle engine will easily make twice the horsepower.. The specs are missing a lot of details (torque would be more useful). I'd be concerned about it's ability to maintain highway speed in hilly areas...
Doesn't look like it has motorcycle tires...not sure though.
A 900cc motorcycle engine would make it fun for sure, but 55hp won't make it win any drag races but it should be fine. My Polaris RZR side by side only makes 38hp and that will run 50 thru the trails with a 63mph top speed. and that is #1100, all wheel drive, and with big heavy offroad tires.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Interesting little car, though I think the Myers Motors version with four wheels and electric power might be a more compelling vehicle for commutes in dense areas/heavy traffic on low-moderate speed roads.

Welcome to Myers Motors : Transform Your Driving. Transform Your World

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I put this in the category of "Wishful Thinking." Unless they are willing to pay for the millions of dollars worth of crash testing (which they can't currently pass) and other testing and documentation required to earn DOT certification, it won't be allowed to be licensed as a car. Federal rules trump state rules in this regard.

Matter of fact, the lower standards and lower construction costs and lower licensing costs for a motorcycle are exactly the reason the Morgan Roadster was designed as a three wheeler in the first place.
there is an easy way around that little issue of crash testing, and that is to make and sell this as a kit car. they just need to make it so that the customer has to do a little of the work to put the vehicle together, such as perhaps install the wheels, or install their engine. and then they can have the people that sell the vehicles do the installation for the customer as part of the purchase price.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
Would it be wrong of me to say. This looks like a death trap?

I d be very afraid in houston traffic.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Would it be wrong of me to say. This looks like a death trap?

I d be very afraid in houston traffic.
No worse then a motorcycle....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive