Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

I wonder what some of you are doing that makes you so paranoid about being tracked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I wonder what some of you are doing that makes you so paranoid about being tracked.
It's an invasion of privacy, end of story. Everyone has things they don't want broadcasted to the world, and I can promise you that any system like this WILL have data leaks.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
LMFAO!!!!

But yeah, same here. 1991 Jeep Wrangler. No one is tracking me, either.

Nope.
If you buy anything using any method of payment other than straight cash they can track you...

(My advisor pointed this out to me.)

Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
YES, and OBD3 will give police the ability to remotely shut-down your vehicle.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Isn't is obvious? The current government doesn't seem to like it when people disagree with them. They've already used the IRS and other agencies to harass their political opponents so it's only reasonable to wonder how far they would like to carry that. Even without that going on, people in this country have always had a healthy mistrust of the government stemming from the abuses of George III. I'm not doing anything wrong but that doesn't mean that I don't hold beliefs and opinions that may be judged to be wrong by the megalomaniacs in Washington.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Back in the day, we were assured that "technology/computers" would never be used for "tracking" purposes.

How's that working out?

Having said that, the days of "invisibility" are long gone. There is virtually nothing that the world doesn't know about each of us, or can't find out in just a few key strokes. For example, when was the last time something happened and there wasn't nearly immediately available pictures or video of the event in real time?

As for vehicles, the chips are already in the cars. When activated they can determine speed, location, number of occupants, portion of vehicle damaged, location and weight of occupants, air bags deployed, fire, and a host of other information which could be valuable to emergency responders in saving your life. Let's face it, insurance companies, if not law enforcement, are going to carry a much larger stick in getting this technology implemented than are a few individual protestors who fear for their privacy.

Individual privacy went out the window a long time ago for everyone other than the most antisocial, remote, hermit like folks. If you engage in modern society, your every move is already tracked, monitored, filmed, recorded and saved for posterity.

Chips/black boxes in cars is just another step in technological evolution. Nothing you can do about it, and silly, at this point, to even worry about it.
I disagree. The Supreme Court ruled recently that smartphones are not fair game for law enforcement without a search warrant. Privacy rights are not gone and laws will evolve to adjust.

It is not the government's business where we go in our vehicles. I have no issue with "black box" data per se. But it is my data, not the governments.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:20 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I disagree. The Supreme Court ruled recently that smartphones are not fair game for law enforcement without a search warrant. Privacy rights are not gone and laws will evolve to adjust.

It is not the government's business where we go in our vehicles. I have no issue with "black box" data per se. But it is my data, not the governments.
A government that respects laws. What a quaint notion.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
DO you have a cell phone? THen you are already tracked...
maybe, but then they will have to prove HOW i move about. unless they force us to put trackers on all our cars retroactively, i wont be buying anything new anytime in the foreseeable ever.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
How about this one -- cities are so full of cameras and license plate readers (and toll RFID readers) that you don't have "retro-actively" fit any vehicle.

I actually foresee license plates have RFID chips in them in the future. Problem of retro-actively fitting ANY vehicle on the road is moot at that point.

Some cities/states want to charger you based on miles driven - rather than an arbitrary amount based on the weight of the vehicle or by using gas taxes, especially since cars get such a wide range of MPG (and one of my cars only uses electricity from the grid).

I have more... this is just for starters. So keep thinking your "old" car is 100% off grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive