Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Sites like TireRack list country of origin for specific models. Just FYI.

Mike
Lots like Continentals made from a few European countries like Portugal, Romania, and Czech Republic.

Some Hankook and Kumho from China. Didn't see many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
Like people are pointing out, I also think a lot of tires already come out of Chinese factories.

I've got no problem with Chinese-made tires. They shouldn't suck just because they rolled out of a Chinese factory. My problem is when the corporate brand chooses not to maintain a high level of quality and decide that their name doesn't have to represent quality anymore.

Quality Control is 100% enforceable by American management. They choose how much pressure to exert on their foreign factories and contracted factories. The Chinese contractors will do what they're told to do. American corporate wants to save money on labor and materials but it should be a given that they will have to increase QC vigilance in return.

If there is waste from high QC rejects, the right contract will put the loss on the offshore factory. If the contract is good, then it is up to US leadership to do their job and refuse to accept garbage. Roll up those sleeves and either fix that offshore factory or else cut the bad factory from the supply chain.

So when we get cheap Chinese crap with an American label on it, more often than not you can thank some overpaid American "leadership" for it. It's completely within Corporate HQs control.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
A random look at this "American" name brand tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=Crew%20Cab shows it is made in about 5 different countries like Indonesia, Costa Rica, Mexico and China.

Is nothing sacred anymore ? When, do you suppose, will Jack Daniels open a distillery in China(if they haven't already ?)
Looks like they are priced the same regardless of where they are made. I never looked at this information. I went by brand names I have known all my life. Never heard or seen of any of the Chinese brands mentioned here.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Very few companies still make tires in the USA. Cooper, Michelin, Firestone are some off the top of my head still made in USA. Cooper almost was sold to a large India company in 2011 i believe but the deal fell through.

I would never buy a tire made in India or China or anywhere else besides the USA. The only place if I was forced to buy outside of the US would be Germany. I don't know if Germany makes tires but pretty much everything else they make is made very well so i would buy tires.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Given that the episode with Ford Explorers and Firestone lasted for some nine years, don't be surprised at my lack of faith when it comes to quality control procedures for either imported or domestic tires.
I'm not worried about this. I remember back in the 70s and 80s, the quality of tires (which I assume were American at the time) was noticeably poorer than what we've got nowadays. Back then, you could expect tires to blow out with some frequency and when they did you noticed it immediately. Nowadays, if a tire goes flat I don't hardly notice it. Additionally, it seems that repairing flats is much more reliable and longer lasting these days.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Like people are pointing out, I also think a lot of tires already come out of Chinese factories.

I've got no problem with Chinese-made tires. They shouldn't suck just because they rolled out of a Chinese factory. My problem is when the corporate brand chooses not to maintain a high level of quality and decide that their name doesn't have to represent quality anymore.

Quality Control is 100% enforceable by American management. They choose how much pressure to exert on their foreign factories and contracted factories. The Chinese contractors will do what they're told to do. American corporate wants to save money on labor and materials but it should be a given that they will have to increase QC vigilance in return.

If there is waste from high QC rejects, the right contract will put the loss on the offshore factory. If the contract is good, then it is up to US leadership to do their job and refuse to accept garbage. Roll up those sleeves and either fix that offshore factory or else cut the bad factory from the supply chain.

So when we get cheap Chinese crap with an American label on it, more often than not you can thank some overpaid American "leadership" for it. It's completely within Corporate HQs control.
Exactly.

No qualms buying a Bridgestone tire that is made in China. They've been making them for decades there and my personal experience was good. Now, I probably wouldn't buy a Chinese brand tire as of now. They've got a reputation for being horrible.

Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 3 - Car and Driver

On the other hand, reputable companies make tires in China and they're perfectly fine:
With Chinese tires, it's buyer beware - Business - Autos | NBC News

"They included tires from brands such as Toyo, Cooper, Pirelli, and Kumho. “Because these tires are being built with the companies whose names are on the tires, the same specifications that would apply to a tire made in the U.S. would apply to a tire made in China,” said Petersen."

Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
I'm on my 2nd set of LT tires on my Ford e-350. The van came with a fairly new set and I replaced them in pairs as needed.

I have to say not a bad looking tire and they wear very well, and handle pretty good.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am coming across articles about Chinese tires. Are we going to be riding on Chinese tires anytime soon? Are some of the tires we already have actually made in China but we don't know about it?

Chinese tires are already being used in the country. All those tire specials you see at tire stores most likely made in China

Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Looks like people make a distinction between Chinese brand tires and name brand tires that are made in China. I would avoid both if I can find out.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, Chinese tires are already here. ... be more concerned about the ones on that big rig behind you.
yup.. tough to find a semi tire that is not Chinese (in spite of 60% tariff into USA).

Maybe because the the Federal tax alone was over $200 EACH on the last set of 22 tires I bought.

Just had a local 16 yr old killed when a cement truck blew a front tire and crossed the center line. So lookout for approaching vehicles also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive