Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:20 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The difference is..... Volt's engine also drives the wheels at times. The BMW is only driven electric motors.
When under full throttle after the battery is depleted, yes. But not when the battery is charged. And it actually drives the second electric motor which then drives the wheels though the planetary gearbox.

It's very clever, but still an EV with a generator onboard. The difference between the Volt and a true hybrid is that the hybrid has to have the gas engine in it to be useable, while the Volt does not.

I've taken mine to Maine from Baltimore and used the gas generator, which never drove the wheels the entire time. Can't do that with a hybrid, even a Prius or Ford plug in hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
At high speed a volt's engine will drive the wheels directly. This adds complexity.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
At high speed a volt's engine will drive the wheels directly. This adds complexity.

Um, I can go to my Volt's top speed (just over 100 mph) and the engine never kicks on. I don't know WHAT you're talking about.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Um, I can go to my Volt's top speed (just over 100 mph) and the engine never kicks on. I don't know WHAT you're talking about.
The Volt has cutches. Find out what they are for.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The Volt has cutches. Find out what they are for.
I own the car, and have studied Volts since 2006, when first shown. The Volt uses a planetary gearset that allows the primary electric motor to drive it, the secondary electric motor to be a generator, until you use full throttle where it converts to a motor and assists the primary electric motor, and then there's the gas engine which drives the secondary motor/generator to charge the batteries. And if the battery is depleted AND you're traveling at high speeds, then the generator drives the secondary electric motor which in turn assists the primary motor. The gas generator never drives the wheels directly, an only assists in limited (battery depletion) situations.

But when the battery is not depleted, the gas engine is not used for anything (unless you have it in "hold mode" where the generator runs to maintain battery charge while driving on the highway, but still doesn't drive the wheels) or if the temps are below 25 degrees F where the gas engine runs to assist in heating the car and maintaining battery temps.

The point is, the Volt is an EV that operates entirely as an EV unless the battery is depleted, in which case the gas generator CAN assist the secondary motor to help drive the wheels (though the primary electric motor is still doing the bulk of the work, as the battery never truly depletes, since zero indicated charge is still actually 40% charge on the batteries). It has nothing to do with high speeds and the Volt can and does use full throttle acceleration and it's top speed without ever using the gas generator. I've been there and done it.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The gas generator never drives the wheels directly, an only assists in limited (battery depletion) situations.
The Volt has three clutches.

Chevrolet Volt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/cells/chevy-volt-hybrid-drive-system
"But the Volt isn't always a series hybrid. Once the speed climbs to about 70 mph, the motor/generator again couples to the ring gear but now—in "charge-sustaining" mode—the smaller electric motor is also affixed to the running gas engine. In effect, the gas engine supplies power directly to the transmission, which is just like a parallel hybrid."
The Volt was supposed to be like the BMW i3 in setup with electric traction motors only driving the vehicle. GM used an existing off the shelf 1,400cc engine, which is not fully suited for efficient generator turning. Genny engines are designed differently, like having no heavy flywheel and 3 cylinders and lighter. Lotus designed a 1,000 3 cylinder engine specifically for hybrid applications - which if installed in the Volt would eliminate the need for the clutches and the planetary gear set. As the GM engine was not fully suited for the use they required GM had to install 3 clutches and a planetary gearing set as a work around. This not to discredit the Volt which is an excellent car. But the next generation should have a decent genny engine, preferably a Wankel, and eliminate the complexity. The beauty of a series-hybrid is the mechanical/electrical simplicity. The engine is a part time engine in normal every day usage with the batteries charged from the grid will rarely come in. Wankels as constant speed genny engines are ideal as they are one third of the size and weight. The Wankel comes into its niche in series-hybrid cars as a range extender.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The Volt has three clutches.

Chevrolet Volt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/cells/chevy-volt-hybrid-drive-system
"But the Volt isn't always a series hybrid. Once the speed climbs to about 70 mph, the motor/generator again couples to the ring gear but now—in "charge-sustaining" mode—the smaller electric motor is also affixed to the running gas engine. In effect, the gas engine supplies power directly to the transmission, which is just like a parallel hybrid."
1) don't use wikipedia for factual information. I've driven my own ****ing Volt at speeds in excess of 80 mph (in fact all the way up top it's 100MPH top speed, though it runs down the battery range at an alarming rate when you do that) and the gas engine NEVER TURNS ON! How can it help drive the wheels if it isn't even ****ing running? Listen to someone with experience!

2) Go drive one with a full charge on it (or an Opel Ampera if that's what's in your neck of the woods) and take it up on the highway at 70-80+ mph. The gas generator will not run. It's pretty simple to prove this with an actual test drive of one. I've had mine on the interstate many times, with trips from Baltimore up to Connecticut 4 times and a trip up to Maine once. Highway speeds are 75-80 mph. Same with the Baltimore beltway (I695 around Baltimore) and I do that on a weekly basis.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Both of you may be right. The gas engine may help assist but won't display on screen

Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Both of you may be right. The gas engine may help assist but won't display on screen
he's not even close to correct. I've lived with this car for almost 2 years now.

You can hear and feel the gas engine start up. And yes, it ALWAYS displays on the screen when it's running (there is an H gauge in the center of the screen that shows the battery useage in kWh on the left and engine usage on the right as well as kWh in regen).

Whenever the engine is running, that gauge shows it, and like I said, you can feel it run and hear it run (as he said, it's just a standard 1.4 liter 4 cyl. It's not terribly smooth or very quiet even at idle.)

As I said, even at it's top speed when in normal or sport mode, the engine will not start and run until the battery is depleted.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM

I never quoted wiki. All explanations say it has three clutches and the engine in some circumstances drives the car directly via the clutches and plentary gearset. I tend to believe the many explanations. I paid attention tk its development and there was great dissapointing reaction whdn the crutches were introduced af the 11 th hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive