Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:58 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,678,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You mean to tell me that BMW exports more cars than all the big3 assembly plants in Michigan. Well, here is a list of the cars made in Michigan. So I doubt that BMW exports more cars than the big3 plants in Michigan.

Chrysler assembly plants in Michigan

Conner Avenue Assembly Plant
Detroit, Mich.
Dodge Viper
Jefferson North Assembly
Detroit, Mich.
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango

Sterling Heights Assembly
Sterling Heights, Mich.
Chrysler 200

Warren Truck Assembly
Warren, Mich.
Ram 1500 (Quad Cab and Crew Cab)

Ford assembly plants in Michigan

Flat Rock Assembly Plant
1 International Dr
Flat Rock, Michigan 48134
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 4,600
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford Mustang and Ford Fusion
Year opened: 1987
Site size in acres: 400
Plant size in square feet: 2,974,000

Dearborn Truck Plant
Dearborn, Michigan
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 3,680
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford F-150, Super Cab, Crew Cab, Regular Cab 5.5' box, 6.5' box
Models XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat, Platinum, Raptor, Harley Davidson, Mark LT for Mexican Market
Year opened: 2004
Site size in acres: 1,100
Plant size in square feet: 2,600,00

Michigan Assembly Plant
Wayne, Michigan
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 5,054
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford Focus (4-door, 5-door), Focus Electric, Focus ST, C-MAX Hybrid, C-MAX Energi (plug-in hybrid)
Year opened: 1957
Site size in acres: 369
Plant size in square feet: 5,000,000

GM assembly plants in Michigan

Location: 4555 Giddings Road. Lake Orion, Michigan 48359 United States
Production since: 1983
Facility size: 4.3 million square feet
Current activity: Chevrolet Sonic, Buick Verano

Location: G 3100 Vanslyke Road. Flint, Michigan, 48551 United States
Production since: 1947
Facility size: 3.7 million on 159 acres
Current activity: Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Silverado and Sierra Heavy Duty

Location: 2500 East Grand Blvd. Detroit, Michigan 48211 United States
Production since: 1985
Facility size: 3.6 million square feet
Current activity: Chevrolet Volt, 2012 Opel Ampera, 2013+ Chevrolet Malibu, 2014 Chevrolet Impala

Location: 920 Townsend. Lansing, Michigan 48921 United States
Production since: 2001
Facility size: 2.5 million square feet on 111 acres
Current activity: Cadillac CTS line

Location: 8175 Millett Hwy. Lansing, Michigan 48921 United States
Production since: 2006
Facility size: 3.4 million sq. ft. including the stamping facility
Current activity: Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclav

The key word is "export". Not many trucks and gigantic SUVs are sold outside US. While bmw sells huge number of X-series everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
The key word is "export". Not many trucks and gigantic SUVs are sold outside US. While bmw sells huge number of X-series everywhere.
Look at the #'s of cars GM exports just to China, China is GM's biggest buyers of Buicks. Believe me the Big3 export millions also. Last year the big3 exported over $50 Billion worth of cars and trucks.

Last edited by Vannort54; 10-16-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
All of Europe had to bail Greece out. And who do you think owns Volvo. Geely a Chinese car maker. So we are driving Chinese automobiles.
So I guess when Volvo was owned by Ford, they were American?

Old 10-16-2014, 01:53 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Sooooooo, if they went bust, someone would buy them....the products would continue to roll.....more importantly, we are only talking about 22% marketshare for GM....Toyota, Honda, and Nissan and now Hyundai and Kia could absorb that in one fiscal year.....heck, the consumers would probably appreciate it except for the truck market.

That "ripple" effect for the cheapest part available syndrome would dry up but, some conditions could be made with foreign manufacturers to enlist some of these....if any could pass muster.

I don't see it. I wouldn't miss any GM automobile. The trucks stand a chance but, their cars???? Nope....no loss....Chrysler? Same thing.....Ford? They are making headway with a few of their cars but, they too could be absorbed.....only thing left would be the trucks....who knows? Maybe they could focus all their energies and finally deliver a truck that gets 25mpg city, 32 hwy.....a thought.....
You've totally missed the point.

Given the economic importance of motor vehicle manufacturing to many communities across the country, GM and Chrysler shutting their doors would have a negative economic impact on the country - both on consumer demand, and on motor vehicle suppliers.

Depressed consumer demand due to economic conditions would decrease demand for cars overall. Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, whoever, isn't necessarily going to get increased sales in the short to medium term if few can afford to buy a car due to people losing their jobs or feeling insecure due to the economy.

Also, it's presumptuous to assume that a surviving auto company would necessarily care to buy up the remnants of a shuttered automaker - they may not want to due to the costs, lack of fit for their manfacturing infrastructure, or lack of need to expand their capacity in the face of depressed demand at the time.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I thought the oil companies should have bailed out the auto companies, if anyone should have.
Their product runs import vehicles just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Back when some of the automakers were going to go bankrupt, we were told we had to help them because if they went bankrupt it would ruin us all.
Why don't I get a free Mercedes, Honda/Acura, Hyundai or a Toyota V8 to play with since my tax dollars were used to subsidize their plants?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:19 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I don't think the auto bailout did a thing for production or sales. new cars are still expensive and they are still being made as cheaply as possible just look at all the recalls out there across all brands on some pretty serious life threatening parts.
I think the biggest disappointment when I went tire kicking for a new Ford truck was the sticker price of $60,000 ! The worse part was the new and improved engines with their ECO boost, dropping cylinders at speed to conserve fuel etc.. etc.. they are still getting the same fuel economy as my old 2002 Super crew lariat. Yes there is more HP and Torque and the truck is probably overall lighter due to better materials being used so why didn't the fuel economy go up in the new world of federal demands?
I think Obamas cash for clunkers was a good program that got many folks into better cars but having the taxpayers bailout the big auto makers was wasted money.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Look at the #'s of cars GM exports just to China, China is GM's biggest buyers of Buicks. Believe me the Big3 export millions also. Last year the big3 exported over $50 Billion worth of cars and trucks.
They make them there (in China).

Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So I guess when Volvo was owned by Ford, they were American?
American owned now Ford sells Volvo to Chinese carmaker Geely for $1.5 billion.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
They make them there (in China).
Not all of them just certain models.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
All 3 auto companies still have more layers of management compared to layers of employees. After the US government, they are the most bureaucratic companies in the US.
i agree, but then you can say that about most large corporations world wide.

Quote:
You mean to tell me that BMW exports more cars than all the big3 assembly plants in Michigan. Well, here is a list of the cars made in Michigan. So I doubt that BMW exports more cars than the big3 plants in Michigan.

Chrysler assembly plants in Michigan

Conner Avenue Assembly Plant
Detroit, Mich.
Dodge Viper
Jefferson North Assembly
Detroit, Mich.
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango

Sterling Heights Assembly
Sterling Heights, Mich.
Chrysler 200

Warren Truck Assembly
Warren, Mich.
Ram 1500 (Quad Cab and Crew Cab)

Ford assembly plants in Michigan

Flat Rock Assembly Plant
1 International Dr
Flat Rock, Michigan 48134
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 4,600
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford Mustang and Ford Fusion
Year opened: 1987
Site size in acres: 400
Plant size in square feet: 2,974,000

Dearborn Truck Plant
Dearborn, Michigan
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 3,680
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford F-150, Super Cab, Crew Cab, Regular Cab 5.5' box, 6.5' box
Models XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat, Platinum, Raptor, Harley Davidson, Mark LT for Mexican Market
Year opened: 2004
Site size in acres: 1,100
Plant size in square feet: 2,600,00

Michigan Assembly Plant
Wayne, Michigan
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 5,054
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford Focus (4-door, 5-door), Focus Electric, Focus ST, C-MAX Hybrid, C-MAX Energi (plug-in hybrid)
Year opened: 1957
Site size in acres: 369
Plant size in square feet: 5,000,000

GM assembly plants in Michigan

Location: 4555 Giddings Road. Lake Orion, Michigan 48359 United States
Production since: 1983
Facility size: 4.3 million square feet
Current activity: Chevrolet Sonic, Buick Verano

Location: G 3100 Vanslyke Road. Flint, Michigan, 48551 United States
Production since: 1947
Facility size: 3.7 million on 159 acres
Current activity: Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Silverado and Sierra Heavy Duty

Location: 2500 East Grand Blvd. Detroit, Michigan 48211 United States
Production since: 1985
Facility size: 3.6 million square feet
Current activity: Chevrolet Volt, 2012 Opel Ampera, 2013+ Chevrolet Malibu, 2014 Chevrolet Impala

Location: 920 Townsend. Lansing, Michigan 48921 United States
Production since: 2001
Facility size: 2.5 million square feet on 111 acres
Current activity: Cadillac CTS line

Location: 8175 Millett Hwy. Lansing, Michigan 48921 United States
Production since: 2006
Facility size: 3.4 million sq. ft. including the stamping facility
Current activity: Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclav
Quote:
it is possible that BMW does export more than the big three american automakers. remember that they all have factories in other countries, so they make most of their vehicles in those countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive