Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

I never understand with most cars that they do not provide warning gauges that the oil is low or needs changing? You have warning if the oil is running hot but not low?

Why not have a warning light that lets you know the tire pressure is getting low? Since tires make up a considerable amount of a car performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I never understand with most cars that they do not provide warning gauges that the oil is low or needs changing? You have warning if the oil is running hot but not low?

Why not have a warning light that lets you know the tire pressure is getting low? Since tires make up a considerable amount of a car performance?
I've owned 17 cars in my lifetime and I don't think I've ever owned one that did not have a low oil warning light. I also don't ever think I owned one that had an oil temperature gauge (though they've all had water temperature gauges).

Also, many newer cars do have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). As of the 2008 model year all new cars sold in the U.S. are required to have a TPMS. Otherwise, if having a TPMS is that important to you but your car did not come equipped with one, you can get an aftermarket TPMS system installed.

Last edited by Drover; 12-31-2007 at 04:20 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 05:42 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
My brother in law had a car with a low oil warning light, it went bad and cost him $3000.00 to fix it, thats a lot of money for something you can check yourself.
There are car that will tell you if the air is low in your tires. My wife has on-star, it sends her a e-mail when it's time to change the oil, it also sends her a breakdown of how her engine is performing and will call her if the check engine light comes on and tell her if it is okay to drive it or if she should pull over and call a tow truck.
The more of these little gadgets you get is just more things to go wrong.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
The oil light your 'modern' cars have is not an 'oil low' light. It is an oil pressure light. If your car is low or out of oil, you do have lower/no oil pressure (which is horrible for the motor) and thats why you have an oil presure light. I cant IMAGINE it costing $3000 to fix. That strikes me as the motor was bad and they fixed that. The temp gauge modern cars have (as a minumum) are usually water temp gauges, which is a pretty good gauges of whether the car is running cold or hot, or in the middle. Some nicer cars/models do have full gauges which can help people keep tabs. (water temp, oil temp, voltage, oil psi). Onstar is on the excessive end of that but very cool. This is the stuff that breaks down the line unfourtunately.
The reason new cars (SUV's first) have tire pressure warning systems is simply liability, nothing to do with economy or anything like that. The car manafacturers have simply gotten too beat up with people driving with 10 psi in each tire in an explorer for 2 years and flipping it and killing themselves. Keeping your tires filled up is of course safer and better on economy.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
It's because auto manufacturers are cheap. If you notice you usually have to pay extra to get the actual gauges and even they're not the greatest.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

All that you mentioned, are, in fact, part of most cars today -

I have a "low oil" light (not guage) -

I have a "service" light - for oil changes - that reminds me, and reminds me when "we" are do for a service

I have a tire pressure sensor light - it lets me know when a tire is low - then the computer tells me which tire is low and the tire pressure of each tire

Etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
why you have an oil presure light. I cant IMAGINE it costing $3000 to fix. That strikes me as the motor was bad and they fixed that. .
It's a cadi and it has a low oil level sensor in the pan, to replace it they pulled the motor and then would not do the job without installing new mounts, hoses and belt, $3000.00. i told him he should have put a sticker over the light On anouther note he ignored the brake warning light and lost the brakes and totaled the car on a mountian road.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
My BMW's have had "low oil quantity level" sensors for many years, as well as a computerized system that has a mapping for the number of cold start cycles, miles driven, etc. ... and advises you when it's time to change the engine oil. The technology has been in the marketplace and used for well over 20 years ... it's simply a matter of manufacturer priority to include it with a car. Most manufacturers don't see a demand for this, so don't include it.

Even my low-end Audi's starting in the 1970's had oil temp and oil pressure gauges included with some other option packages.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
The reason new cars (SUV's first) have tire pressure warning systems is simply liability, nothing to do with economy or anything like that.
No, the reason new cars have TPMS is because the government requires it. Even before then, TPMS showed up on plenty of cars where there is virtually no danger of a rollover, such as BMW sedans and the Corvette; mostly on cars that came with run-flat tires. So it was part economy and part convenience that drove the development of TPMS systems.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TREAD_Act

<quote>
It was drafted in response to fatalities related to Ford Explorers fitted with Firestone tires, and was influenced by automobile and tire manufacturers as well as consumer safety advocates.
<quote>

Like I said. Thats where it came from. Someone getting beat up over paying out settlements. The safety aspect was a bonus. Some of us DO need to be protected against ourselves of course.

Run flat cars need it as sometimes you cant tell when the tire is flat (well, most people can, lets say some would choose to keep on driving). They may not have even been able to sell run flat only (no spare tires, bmw, porsche) car had it not been included. It is only required on all us cars (under 10k lbs) as of sep 7 2007, so of course if you have a vehicle older than 3 months, TPMS was INCLUDED FOR SOME OTHER REASON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive