Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

This occurred to me today as I was driving home. There was a fairly steep stretch that by the sound of it looked like I am using a lot of gas. Then there was a similarly long stretch downhill. My question is did I make up for the uphill part going downhill? I have my own suspicions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
No, the hill would have to slant perfectly on both sides if that makes sense.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,440 times
To have a perfect balance in gasoline consumption you would have to go downhill with the engine shut off.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
No the laws of physics regarding the conservation of energy say you can't break even. If you coasted down a 100 foot hill and coasted up a 100 foot hill you would not make it to the top. That is why no hill on a roller coaster is as high as the first drop.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
To have a perfect balance in gasoline consumption you would have to go downhill with the engine shut off.
I am not sure this can be proven. Where does the energy dissipated by the brakes come from and how is it accounted for?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 PM

432 posts, read 359,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not sure this can be proven.
Yeah, I don't think the math would give you a perfect equality.

Quote:
Where does the energy dissipated by the brakes come from and how is it accounted for?
If I remember correctly, the energy dissipated by the brakes (through friction, producing heat) comes from potential energy being converted to kinetic energy by the acceleration of gravity. But I was not the very best of physics students.

Bottom line, OP, if the engine is running you're using fuel whether you're coasting downhill or sitting still. Not running the engine on the way *up* the hill, on the other hand, would improve your mileage most of all!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
This occurred to me today as I was driving home. There was a fairly steep stretch that by the sound of it looked like I am using a lot of gas. Then there was a similarly long stretch downhill. My question is did I make up for the uphill part going downhill? I have my own suspicions.
No, the short answer is you have friction from the tires on the ground, bearings in the wheels, the air......

Similarly this is why hooking a generator to you car powered by a wheel is pointless other than braking operations.

Last edited by thecoalman; 10-25-2014 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No, the short answer is you have friction from the tires on the ground, bearings in the wheels, the air......

Similarly this is why hooking a generator to you car powered by a wheel is pointless other than braking operations.
Coalman's got it right- There are energy losses even when the vehicle is not moving, due to the friction in the motor and transmission- it takes constant energy input to keep those parts moving. Then, you have to add in the additional energy requirements to work against gravity to get the car to the top of the hill, plus the energy requirements to overcome the friction of the rest of the drive train, the tires, and the wind resistance (which increases in a non-linear fashion as velocity increases).

When you start down the hill, you have a certain amount of potential energy that is converted to kinetic energy, but even so, some of that energy is bled off from losses due to friction in the motor, the drive train, the tires on the road, and the increasing loss due to wind resistance as velocity increases (*very* simply speaking, the energy needed to overcome wind resistance (drag) will vary as the *cube* of velocity).

It obviously takes *less* fuel (energy input) to get down the hill than to get up it, but there will *always* be a net loss and it will never 'even out'.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
No the laws of physics regarding the conservation of energy say you can't break even. If you coasted down a 100 foot hill and coasted up a 100 foot hill you would not make it to the top. That is why no hill on a roller coaster is as high as the first drop.
You get it. The physics doesn't lie.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:57 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
With gas economy Slow and steady wins the race. If you gun it to get up the hill you will use more gas than if you are just maintaining your speed.

I once heard that if you use cruise control you actually use more gas. Does that make sense?

Slow (the speed limit) and steady is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive