Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

I know very little about cars and most of it is from before they computerized them. But I had Click and Clack on nearly every weekend for the goofy chuckles. What a pair!

My first impression years ago wasn't good but they grew on me and I came to recognize them for their intelligence and that warm, insider humor that only those who are very close to each other can share. It's a loss.

Maybe Melissa is even shedding a tear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
I was sad to read this I loved their show.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:33 PM

794 posts, read 818,152 times
I hated that show, the constant phony laughing was grating to say the least.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:13 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
RIP, the show was great. I used to listen to it all the time until it got to be re-runs. My brother who is not a car guy at all listened to the show when riding along with me and was laughing his guts out. He used to say these brothers are much better than any comedian around. 77 is too early to go and Alzheimer's is not an easy way out either esp for someone that smart. I am sure it has been tough on his family and close friends.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Sad to hear Tom has passed away. I've enjoyed the show for years and wasted many perfectly good hours listening to them.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:55 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I'm sorry to hear he died but I was never a fan of their show. They gave good advice but the attempts at humor, the banter and the constant laughing really detracted and made it hard to listen to. Still, they were offering a service needed by listeners. They still have a newspaper automotive advice column. They could have answered more questions without the banter... I'm not sure if it will continue.
Losing Ralph Snodsmith a few years back was a loss too, he had a great radio gardening show. I remember the glory days of WHYY which was similar. The Old Yankee workshop, This Old House, and The Victory Garden, and even At The Movies with Siskel and Ebert.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm sorry to hear he died but I was never a fan of their show. They gave good advice but the attempts at humor, the banter and the constant laughing really detracted and made it hard to listen to. Still, they were offering a service needed by listeners. They still have a newspaper automotive advice column. They could have answered more questions without the banter... I'm not sure if it will continue.
Losing Ralph Snodsmith a few years back was a loss too, he had a great radio gardening show. I remember the glory days of WHYY which was similar. The Old Yankee workshop, This Old House, and The Victory Garden, and even At The Movies with Siskel and Ebert.
Yeah!

They acted like the show was as much entertainment as anything!

Oh... wait...

Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'll be the black sheep here, but some of their advice given was total rubbish. I don't think either one of these guys seen under a hood since LBJ was in office.

As much as I hate to say it, you are right, their "advice" was not always what you would get from your local mechanic, but I don't think the show was supposed to be anything but entertainment, with just a little actual car repair advice thrown in. Sometimes I would hear some solution they would offer and say "WHAT????" How did they get wheel bearing noise when that was obviously not what the problem was.

But they were funny, entertaining, and seemed to be nice guys. I listen a lot to public radio, and, while I would not be searching for their show necessarily, I wouldn't change the station when they came on. Sorry to hear of his passing, though, and was surprised to hear the show was all reruns for the past couple of years.

Don

Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Hated to hear this news. Tons of great advice dispensed for free to us listeners for a long time!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:17 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I loved hearing these two brothers yuk it up---just the laughter alone made me laugh! If only more people had this kind of joie de vivre...RIP Click.
Absolutely! We used to listen to them when we tuned into NPR on car trips, and loved hearing them too as we yukked it up right along with them.

RIP, Tom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive