Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Also, having a dedicated track car can get expensive rather quickly, because you also need a trailer and something other than a normal passenger vehicle to tow the trailer and carry extra parts. Sure, a high performance street car will never beat its track car equivalent, but a street car costs significantly less to run at the weekend autocross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
An ex used to always bring things like this up...
  • Why do you need two sports cars...
  • I don't see the point to driving so fast...
  • Why do you always park on the end of a row...
  • So you got a ding, it's just a car - who cares if someone dings it...

One evening when we got to her home, we were sitting on the couch and I made a big show of getting ready to put my feet (in work boots) up on her cherry wood coffee table.

HEY!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Oh, I'm just going to put my feet up on the table, you don't mind do you?

YES, I MIND!

Why?
  • It's only a piece of wood...
  • They grow more trees, you can get another one...
  • A scratch or two won't change it's usefulness...

She stopped giving me flack about my cars after that. People buy and own what they want to own. If they didn't steal it who cares why they purchased it or what they do with it. If I could purchased a Ford GT (my current dream car) and chose to drive it at no more than the speed limit every where I go, that's my choice and my business. People who ask questions like this have far too much time on their hands.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:09 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
...and quite legal.
A V8 in a RX-7 should be illegal...

Old 11-11-2014, 04:27 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Cost less than rebuilding the unreliable 13B that was in it or turbocharging a non-turbo RX7. Made more power, more torque and had better F/R balance than a TII as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
I had to look...... I misread at first.......what's the point of a sports car in the UP. With a couple of feet of snow, not much> Back to enjoying it where you can!

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Cost less than rebuilding the unreliable 13B that was in it or turbocharging a non-turbo RX7. Made more power, more torque and had better F/R balance than a TII as well.
Yeah a guy around here blew the apex seal on his 13B, ditched that motor & dropped in a new GM LS3 drivetrain. It's pretty awesome!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:53 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well can have the best of both world with a late 2009-2014 SVT Raptor F150 or 2003-2006 Chevy Silverado SS AWD
Wait...what? Both are dog slow and handle poorly relatively to even most mainstream 4-door sedans, much less a sports car.

Had you said 1999-2004 SVT Lightning, GMC Syclone, or Dodge Ram SRT-10, there'd be something to talk about. I like the Silverado SS - I've been actively looking to purchase one recently as a beater truck, but to equate it to a sports car of any sort is ludicrous. The Raptor is even more of a stretch and is in no way, shape or form remotely sporty. In fact, in terms of sportiness, I'd take a 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat AWD F150 over a Raptor if I was concerned about performance and handling.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
There is more to owning a performance car than just mashing the gas pedal.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the point of buying a sport car in the US when you can't drive faster than 65-75MPH on the highway?
There's states that you'll get a ticket for peeling off or speeding up too fast

So what's the point of spending $100,000 on a sport car that can do 200MPH but you can't go pass 75MPH?
This stands out to me because I grew up in a country that doesn't have speed limits (ok... they have them, but nobody obeys them)
Tell me where in the world you have public roads that allow you to hit 200MPH aside from the Autobahn.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I was a Sunbeam Tiger fan... I still have 3 friends with V8 tigers. A NICE ride, and good throaty sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Tell me where in the world you have public roads that allow you to hit 200MPH aside from the Autobahn.
I have done a lot of autobahn driving, and have never seen 200MPH cars there, but I see you-tube has a few I missed.

I like to go for rides in a GT40, but that friend has a FAST sports car, 'cause he can afford it, and he enjoys it! (I'm glad he shares with someone like me who survives on 52 HP, after yrs of muscle cars).

I still keep my racing motorcycles and use them everyday. They are easier to store, and you get a real feel for the speed when YOU are the first thing to hit the pavement if you mess up.

I grew up in a mtn canyon, and still get to run switchbacks everyday. I would hate to have to do that in a Parklane Buick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive