Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:02 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So go ahead and hit 'em. That will teach them a lesson.
What is wrong with you people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 05:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
When I used to work in Asia and Indonesia there wasn't a day that went by where you could walk in any direction I didn't see a crowd gathered looking at a mangled body of the ground and if you stayed around long enough you got to watch the guy with the snow shovel scrape the remnants from the ground.

When I'm in the US the only Jaywalkers I get see are parking lot ones. It seems that once certain people park their car, the brain donor part of them comes out. Instead of walking on the left or the right they walk down the center. Or if a car is backing out of a spot they continue walking (some even bang on the trunk and yell at the driver). Many won't walk the few feet over to the crosswalks (between the parking and the stores/businesses) where there are actual stop signs for cars. Thry just walk in front of other cars thinking those cars can stop on a dime. And the stupid thing is "they" were drivers a few minutes before. Its a light switch mode.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I don't know what the laws are in your state regarding pedestrians jay walking, but here in California, regardless if they are in a crosswalk or noit, the law is you stop.
Bob.
Pedestrians still do the arm pointing signal in CA?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
It all comes down to making a quick buck !!!

Hoping to get hit, suing you and living the good life !!!

People don't care and its too much trouble for the police to enforce !!!

For those that don't believe this, I asked a good friend (police officer) about this when school started because of the many kids and parents that don't follow this law and his response was (his commander told him and the other not to ticket these people) !!

He said that its too much paperwork and court time plus its easier to ticket the people that speed because they wont fight these tickets !!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 AM

15,433 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What is wrong with you people?
You thought I was serious?

Old 11-28-2014, 06:38 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You thought I was serious?
You didn't put an emoticon in the other post.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times
Fun fact: pedestrians used to have the right of way. Automotive manufacturers put out propaganda on how bad it was to walk out in front, and "jaywalking" was born ("jay" being slang for an idiot). Speeds got higher, walking became less safe, and pedestrians lost their value / stature.

Here's a good article about it from BBC News.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:25 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
I guess it depends where. In the suburbs roads are wider, not as conjested, I could care less if people jaywalk. Also jaywalking isn't really a problem as long as people dont jump out in front of cars I can understand not wanting to walk a longway to crosswalk ona road thats not even busy.

in urban areas however its annoying, in chicago you have bikes and pedestrians just jumping out in cars, running out in front of cars trying to turn, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive