Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Late last week I had an incident where I must have "insulted" another driver on the road. It was after I had made a left hand turn (into a left lane) and he was a number of car lengths back in the right lane. I felt the turn was safe as he was back a bit and in a different lane.

Well, this did not sit well with him. He steps on the gas to pull next to me, and proceeds to give me the "dirty look" stare. After the turn, I did check my mirror and see he was still a bit back, and did not think anything of it until I saw the car in my peripheral. I glanced over and noticed his gawking and sour puss look.

I just looked back forward to pay attention to the road. He kept looking, then glanced ahead to see an SUV stopped in his lane! He panic stopped in time, but I am sure he was then headed to a detail shop to clean stains out of his seat.

I don't get why people do this. What purpose does a sour look and eye contact make? It's not like I felt bad, or scolded, or angry, or anything. The only risk he was in was caused by his own lack of focus on the task of driving.

Ultimately, I had a chuckle about the near miss due to his behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
it seems to me that some people remove their brains the minute they get behind the wheel of their cars, and run on pure emotion.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Hmm... Not sure about this one. I always laugh when it happens to me.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Oh, you were visiting in Boston?

Hahaha, Bostonians will get this!!

One day he will wake up and change...we don't need to spend
any energy on these people....they are stuck in a place
we grew out of, maybe at 4...so will they.
Take care.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
I've done this a few times to people who are complete nincompoops on the road & don't understand that what they did was wrong in some way, shape or form. What usually ends up happening is that they also don't understand why I'm looking at them with that expression on my face.

The clueless is strong with these people.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i once got the "evil stare" i guess as i was only going 60 in a posted 55 and was in the right lane (what was i thinking lol). As the nascar-inspired tailgator pulled along to pass me, he matched my speed and was yelling. I figured I could do the common reply, that being showing him he was # 1. Or I too could have rolled down my window and joined in his little verbal sparring. Instead, i blew him a kiss.

I think that caught him off guard, me being a dude and all. He just spun his head forward and moved on. I can still laugh at the look on his face after that one.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i once got the "evil stare" i guess as i was only going 60 in a posted 55 and was in the right lane (what was i thinking lol). As the nascar-inspired tailgator pulled along to pass me, he matched my speed and was yelling. I figured I could do the common reply, that being showing him he was # 1. Or I too could have rolled down my window and joined in his little verbal sparring. Instead, i blew him a kiss.

I think that caught him off guard, me being a dude and all. He just spun his head forward and moved on. I can still laugh at the look on his face after that one.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm going to try this!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
People are nuts. Although if I get really pissed at someone I will curse them out calmly in my car until I get it out of my system so I don't get ragey. I doubt they know though

Old 12-15-2014, 12:58 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
People are idiots and get upset over the silliest things. Then they do dangerous things that could kill people just to say that they are upset.

I had an incident the other day where I was taking a right turn onto a highway on-ramp. My lane merged with two lanes of the on-ramp that serve cars turning left into the same onramp to enter the highway in the same direction. I was ahead of the traffic to my left, there was a merging lane with no yield sign, so I merged like you would with any highway. The guy behind me in the lane I was merging into stepped on the gas to try to block me from merging, but I was already halfway in. He then blasted his horn for 10 seconds and gave me the finger (saw it in the rearview mirror). I ignored it, merged on the highway and stayed in the right lane. This guy quickly changes to the far left lane (three lanes over), floors it, and the passenger is mouthing obscenities and makes more obscene gestures. What is wrong with people? Is something so minor as being 2 seconds slower to allow someone to get on the highway such a big deal?!

Here's the onramp in question, in case my description was hard to understand: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.8...classic&dg=brw

Old 12-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
People are idiots and get upset over the silliest things. Then they do dangerous things that could kill people just to say that they are upset.

I had an incident the other day where I was taking a right turn onto a highway on-ramp. My lane merged with two lanes of the on-ramp that serve cars turning left into the same onramp to enter the highway in the same direction. I was ahead of the traffic to my left, there was a merging lane with no yield sign, so I merged like you would with any highway. The guy behind me in the lane I was merging into stepped on the gas to try to block me from merging, but I was already halfway in. He then blasted his horn for 10 seconds and gave me the finger (saw it in the rearview mirror). I ignored it, merged on the highway and stayed in the right lane. This guy quickly changes to the far left lane (three lanes over), floors it, and the passenger is mouthing obscenities and makes more obscene gestures. What is wrong with people? Is something so minor as being 2 seconds slower to allow someone to get on the highway such a big deal?!

Here's the onramp in question, in case my description was hard to understand: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.8...classic&dg=brw
I see this happen all too often, and I find it to be the most idiotic thing.
Most on-ramps do not have yield signs. They are meant to allow the driver to match highway speeds and be able to merge into traffic without having to slam on the brakes to wait for clearing. Idiots who smash the gas pedal to block you risk causing major accidents, and it's just stupid and pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive