Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:50 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone bought a code scanner for personal use? Advice on models?

I'm looking at this one.. Product Detail

OBD I and II support, ABS on most makes/models.. The main reason i'm looking at that model is the Live Data support.. Where you can actually monitor the signals in real time for catching those intermittent problems that don't pass the threshold for setting a code.

The MSRP on it is $482.. But available on Amazon and Walmart for $155.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
I've use the Actron scanners for many many years, they're a better overall scanner, they have great tech support and they work.

https://actron.com/

Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I bought one of those handheld units years ago and they wanted to make me buy a new one for newer model cars - did not offer a software upgrade...

Anyway the trend these days is for JUST the connection from the car to a computer or smart phone and then in theory you could always get the latest software or eventually even upgrade the software in a car with an internet link (vehicle manufacturer's are slow to set-up this stuff which has been around for EVERYTHING else for years!).

Anyway I found the following and it looks interesting - a cell phone connection - The app would be downloaded to your cell phone - and in theory you could upgrade the app, not need to buy a new handheld unit?

Product Detail

Edit: I don't see ABS or SRS mentioned, but maybe some other manufacturer has a connection and/or app for that? Or they will in the future? Basically you can in theory get the connection, then it could access anything on the vehicle with the right app.

This says you have to login EACH time you use it!
http://www.amazon.com/review/RUE8J5M...ore=automotive

Anything better out there?

Last edited by Billy_J; 12-27-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 09:58 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
I have these:

Amazon.com: New Version V1.5 ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Diagno...eywords=elm327

For the price you can't beat them. You can download the free Torque app for your smartphone. I found better software for the laptop that gives all the data you'd normally need.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I refuse to use a smartphone.. Well.. That's not entirely accurate, but I don't have one.. Just a plain old cell phone that can easily fit in my pocket.. I did look at some of the ones that linked to the cells..

I like the actron, considering that it shows graphing.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I refuse to use a smartphone.. Well.. That's not entirely accurate, but I don't have one.. Just a plain old cell phone that can easily fit in my pocket.. I did look at some of the ones that linked to the cells..

I like the actron, considering that it shows graphing.
Then buy an inexpensive Android tablet with Bluetooth. The OBDII bluetooth adapters are less then $25. The Android software Torque is nearly free. And it taps into everything provided by OBDII presented in an easy to use interface. It reads codes, resets codes, and monitors everything. You can choose how the data is presented - dials, digital readouts, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

Old 12-28-2014, 02:36 AM

I found their latest and greatest products here...

Elm Electronics Products - OBD ICs

ELM327 - OBD to RS232 Interpreter (v2.1)

Amazon.com : Latest Version V2.1 Super MINI ELM327 Bluetooth OBD/OBD2 ELM 327 Multi-Language 12Kinds Works ON Android Torque/PC : Car Electronics

Old 12-28-2014, 07:48 AM

So there are three zillion free Android aps which are available for this Elm327 Bluetooth OBD device...

Which are the best aps? Best software for a portable PC?

Here is a page from the manufacturer of the "gizmo" with a list of aps/software they recommend...

Elm Electronics Help - OBD Software

Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
So there are three zillion free Android aps which are available for this Elm327 Bluetooth OBD device...

Which are the best aps? Best software for a portable PC?

Here is a page from the manufacturer of the "gizmo" with a list of aps/software they recommend...

Elm Electronics Help - OBD Software
I can only vouch for Torque. Great reviews, very professional piece of software. It allows a unique profile for multiple vehicles. Ridiculous amount of capability for a few dollars.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
I get by with an Innova 3100 for about $100. OBD2 only. You really don't need OBD1 unless you happen to be unlucky enough to need the adapters for those freak GM OBD"1.5" vehicles that need an OBD1 scanner with OBD2 cable end, since most OBD1 can be ready with paperclips or analog multimeters. Even then, you can cobble up your own adapter for just a few bucks if you look in the right places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive