Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times

Advertisements

I remember reading an article a few years back that compared sunglasses. Many of the cheaper brands that claimed to be polarized and block uv rays actually did neither. There were a few lower priced brands that did well in tests, but the final consensus was that you get what you pay for. I'm out on the water a lot and use Revo Guide Extreme's. They are pricey (about 120 bucks) but work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Most fishermen swear by Costa Del Mar. However, they are some high-dollar dudes. Whatever brand you choose, opt for the glass lens instead of plastic.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:55 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Maui Jim's are excellent sunglasses. I've had the pair I own now for about 6 years and they're like new. They are expensive though at >$200. They have held up much longer than my last pair of Ray-Ban's.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 PM

236 posts, read 370,668 times
One more for Maui Jim's, but also consider Reptile.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Most are owned by Luxottica.

Ray-ban. Oakley. Arnette. Many, many more.

Luxottica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdq2rIqAlM

I would not buy any brand owned by them, simply out of principle!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:38 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
Had lots of Maui Jims..... good for boating. If you have a pilots supply store at your local airport check out Randolphs.... US made and along with Ray Ban are suppliers to the military. I quit using polarized while driving when the car displays started using big lcd screens. Can't see them with polarizing, that's why pilots don't use polarized glasses.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wife gave me $150 gift certificate for some sunglasses, went to a local sunglass store and was overwhelmed at the hundreds of choices available, from $20 -$300. Up till now i've been using $5 flip ups from the flea market but due to recent eye surgery i no longer need to wear glasses and can now look forward to wearing real sunglasses.To me the $20 glasses at the store looked much like the $300 glasses,how do i shop for quality driving glasses without going by the price tag?As i'd hate to blow this $150 on a pair of glasses that i later find out are junk.

Thanks
Been there and I've been wearing very high quality sunglasses for over two decades - not because I'm a fashion snob, but because I have awesome eyesight and I value keeping it (and so far I have). When you buy expensive sunglasses you are ideally purchasing optically awesome lenses... lenses that won't contribute to eye strain nor distort your vision. I have always noticed right away when I put on a cheap pair of sunglasses... the field of vision warps in different areas and I feel like lose acuity.

My recommendation is this: visit a Sunglass Hut (or place like that), see what looks and feels best on your face. Then make note of the make/model and price at the store and see if you can do better online. I've always purchased directly from the retailers, but I've scratched enough lenses to know that replacement lenses are available affordably online (as well as entire pairs) - not having to pay state sales tax and getting a discounted price is nice. Price-wise I'm completely over any sticker shock having bought several pairs now, but the most expensive pair I've ever purchased was $280.00 and I don't see any reason to go much above that unless there are new features that I am just unaware of right now. With the best care in the world, my glasses typically need new lenses every year to year and a half (due to scratches that just start to irritate me).

I've had great luck with both Oakley and Ray-Ban frames - I like plastic lenses and plastic frames (because of their light weight). Both these companies have stood by their warrantees with me and replaced lenses and in the case of Oakley an actual frame free of charge. Buying at a local Sunglass Hut came in handy as they had my purchase info on file and just took the items needing replacement and mailed them out for me (and called me when the replacements came in or credit was issued). Considering the upfront expense of these glasses, I really appreciated that!

I absolutely love Polarized lenses (they reduce glare, allow you to see inside bodies of water as well as most windows better than without the glasses). The issues I have with Polarized lenses are 1) that I've only seen them with dark tint and sometimes I want less sun protection AND 2) I cannot see the screen of my iPhone when I wear them and use my iPhone as a vehicle GPS... the screen goes very dark at nearly every angle)... I actually like wearing non-polarized yellow lenses when it is cloudy or the sun is low in the sky and when I am driving... I can wear them nearly at all hours and use them in my art studio or in front of the computer indoors as well. Reflective lenses are also pretty cool too... they have an added psychological benefit that police and military have known about for decades (when people cannot see your eyes there are well documented studies of interactivity benefits).

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I also have prescription Serengetis. I like them and they're nice and dark. Kind of an aviator style, although for my next pair I'll shoot for something in a wraparound. I had wraparound Ray-Bans for several years, but they were definitely too small, so by the time I needed a new prescription I abandoned them.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Just go to Sunglasses Hut and try on a lot of different pairs until you find one you're comfortable with. Ray Bans, Oakley, Maui Jims - they are all good. It'll just be personal preference at that point.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:14 PM

358 posts, read 886,847 times
If you want performance over appearance, there are certain things you should look for:

1. Polarized. Non-polarized should not even be considered.

2. Coverage. Many stylish sunglasses provide only limited coverage areas and leave your eye exposed to glare from the sides. You want large lenses that fit fairly tight to your face.

3. Glass lenses. Plastic lenses scratch too easily, and tend to be more prone to pop out of the frames.

4. Sturdy frames. Heavy duty frames are less aesthetically appealing. However they hold up better. You should be more concerned with how well you can see than with how you look. When you are driving, no one is going to be looking at you for significant periods anyway. I dislike the flexible frames. They do not tend to sit comfortably on your face, and they do not seem to last ass long as rigid frames. In most cases, if the frame flexes substantially, the lenses will pop out. Rigid frames hold up better and fit better. If you sit on them, they usually do not bend anyway. If you sit on them in a manner that bends rigid frames, you would likely damage flexible frames sitting on them the same way.

5. Amber/brown or black lenses. trendy colors simply do not work as well. You need dark lenses to really protect your eyes. reddish, blue or purple lenses may appear cute in the store, but they are not as effective and tent to distort colors more.

6. Tried and true styles. Styles like Ray Ban Aviators have been around for decades. There is a reason for this, It is a practical style balancing coverage, strength, comfort and appearance. They may be passé, but frequently trendy styles sacrifice practicality or comfort for unusual appearance. While it is always nice to be unique, it is better to have sub glasses that work well and you will actually use other than leaving them off because the cool styling makes them uncomfortable for long term wear. Also, the hot styles of today, will be outdated in a few months. Start with something classic and it will still be something classic in five years.

7. Avoid fashion brand names. If you pay a premium, pay for quality, not for art or advertisements.

We use Ray Ban Aviators for everyone in our company. We buy them by the gross and they are relatively inexpensive. They are also interchangeable and suitable for all genders. They are sufficiently comfortable and stylish to be to everyone's liking and the lenses are large and dark. Plus they have been an acceptable style for 50 years. Even with some substantial losses, one gross will likely last our 70 employees at least 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive