Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 7,745 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I own homes in the NY southern tier and in Palm BeachCounty FL. I would like to travel via air between the two multipe times during the year. Looking into my options, one consideration is to buy two cars – economy cars- and leave one at each home. (1) Howlong can I leave a car parked without running the engine and not have issueswhen I need to use it? (2) Is there a particular type of car better than othersin this situation? Hybrid? Electric? Or Regular gasoline run? (3) Isthere a particular company or vehicle that is best? (4) Any other considerations? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:00 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
You'll need to do some research. You can leave a car parked for months with a battery tender which keeps the battery topped so that it's ready to start the vehicle as sitting for a long time without one will drain the battery. As far as good new vehicles go, there are a ton of them on the market from many makes. It's a good time to be a car buyer as there are relatively few awful cars on the market.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
rent a car when you are in one of the town.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
This ^^^

Doesn't pay to own 2 cars to only use each of them a couple time a year unless you plan on staying at each place for extended periods of time.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:28 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
It sounds as though the OP is saying that he will be driving a normal amount, just split between two cars. Six months' worth of driving in Florida, six months' worth in New York.

If I have that right, renting probably doesn't make sense. They do have Zip Car at the airport in Palm Beach, so that might be an option.

I wouldn't recommend a hybrid. You might not do enough driving to make it worthwhile.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Do NOT buy Hybrids. They MUST be continuously turned on to keep traction battery charged. You can likely do full electrical, like Leaf. Which I'll caution against, not that it's a bad car. It's simply not wise financially.
If you have money, you can do Tesla.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
As I read it, the time is more or less fifty fifty split, and OP isn't planning to spend a month in one town and 11 in the other.

I wouldn't worry so much about the car sitting for half the year, especially if its in a garage. By a jump starter pack for each home and if you have to jump it when you get back, you jump it. I also wouldn't want to leave it parked with a full tank of gas, but rather enough to get you to the station when you arrive to fill up. I don't know of any car that is better or worse for this, although I would imagine the more electronic gadgets on the car, the more likely it is not to start.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,745 times
Thanks for the replies.
I plan on going to FL about every two months staying about 2 weeks.

The zip car costs $6 per month plus $8-10 per hour. So that is $192 to $240 per day which is much more than a rental.
Don't have that much money for a Tesla.

Thanks for the heads up on the hybrids/electric cars.

Is a battery tender and smart charger the same thing?

www.ctek.com

Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
HTML?

Get a 2 yearold vehicle with a 4 cylinder. We bought american for our travel car. We had been a strictly european car family, but a bad experience in rural Idaho where we had to essentially pay hundreds of dollars for a tow truck with a shop that could work on a Mercedes we decided to go with a Ford Edge SUV.

Look into a 2013/14 Chevy Cruze eco . We rented on last year in AZ and it was actually a really decent car.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:27 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
You can have one car and have it driven for you from NY to FL. Lots of snow birds do that while they fly back and forth.

If you'll be going back and forth more frequently, you won't need to worry about car storage, just attach a battery tender to the car so it will always be ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive