Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times

Advertisements

If you have "COMMON SINCE" then you don't even have to ask this question, you already know the answer !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 08:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
"It takes more courage to walk away from a fight than it does to fight".

(Peer pressure, being called a wimp, etc.)

Note I have seen a LOT of spur of the moment fights (bars mostly) over STUPID things. And both people always get hurt - does not matter who is right or wrong, someone's thumb will get broken, a tooth knocked out, ribs broken, whatever.

Ask your dentist how much it can cost to fix just one tooth (can be over $1,000.00). Ask the emergency room how long it takes for broken bones to heal (like 6 months!). Is it really worth it?

Then there can be legal charges - fines, jail. A permanent criminal record. Note many landlords do not rent to criminals around here - they don't take the time to check as to what the offense was for - they just will not rent to you. Also have a court date hanging over your head for several months... the waiting for some sort of determination for your case can be more punishment than whatever punishment the judge dishes out...

Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 PM

185 posts, read 184,974 times
Retaliate? You mean by ignoring that person? That's what you do to an attention seeking moron like that. When I'm driving, I want to keep traffic safely flowing.

Am I rare? I haven't ever experienced road rage. Nope.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Do not engage. This put you and everyone around you at risk. Sure sometimes it is hard not to but if something happens you are just responsible as the other person.
Absolutely right on! The best thing to do to someone acting like that is just to ignore them, act like they don't exist. And for those who feel compelled to retaliate in some way to a road rager, consider that this individual likely wants a response to his/her actions, is hoping for that response, and will be disappointed if they don't get a response.

So you can let such a person know in actions (or lack of) louder than words, of exactly what you think of his/her immaturity, it's not worth even a second of your time or an iota of your attention.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
driving around with kids all the time, I do not even think about retaliating. When I was 20, I would definitely be hot-headed. Even before kids, around mid-20s, I have realized it's not worth antagonizing anyone and just take it easy, but I still drive aggressively from time to time, and when I feel it's ok to do so.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Is it a good idea to retaliate against annoying road ragers?

Only if you want to keep Homicide Detectives busy.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
If you have "COMMON SINCE" then you don't even have to ask this question, you already know the answer !!
Since what?

Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Anytime somebody flips me off, I wonder if it is a threat or a promise...
Quite often, the thought that it might be a promise is more frightening than a threat.
Since it is illegal to shoot at them, and illegal to run them off the road (quite often they are in a Prius or a Honda or a Smart car, and I am in my truck), I choose to ignore them.
Of course, the one finger salute could also be a statement of their intelligence quotient. In which case, ignoring it is the ONLY thing to do!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,108,600 times
Of course I ignore them and already mentioned how I handle it.

But another thing to do is simply think of it becoming "someone else problem".

Sure, you may be the smart one and not retaliate.
But then that same person you ignored will make the mistake of going after someone with an even hotter head and then the hilarity ensues!!

Especially if you see Mr or Mrs Road-Rager driving around in one of those special vans with the handicap access!!

At that time, you just say to yourself, "Better them than me!!!"

Old 02-01-2015, 03:16 PM

29 posts, read 33,544 times
I've heard about way too many road rage shootings, so I always ignore idiots on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive