Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times

Advertisements

I have college student neighbors who are constantly loud. I have called the cops on them several times now and have been in the office a lot. It is so bad that I have considered sleeping in my car for a little bit of peace even though it is 10 degrees here.

Anyhow, they now bang on my walls at 10 am when I am just simply getting ready for work. The guy blocked my car in at one point so I couldn't leave and followed me until I turned in at a public building. They also bang on my doors in the evening. However the hours are between 5 pm and 8 pm which are outside of my city's quiet hours. One must have been tapping on my window one night because I saw footprints in the snow that lead to their place. I am not sure what to do anymore. I am planning to move out of this town here in a few months, but just want some peace until it happens.

The banging on my walls is so bad that pictures rattle and fall in my apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Have you told the cops about the harassment? Cops take that seriously nowadays.

I had some hostile tenant applicants and an ex-tenant who wanted to move back into the building, and I said no. Both harassed me in different ways. One would bang on the door and yell at me, the other was calling and threatening to come lurk around the property until he could find the owner to talk to (convinced the owner would let him move back in LOL!).

Anyway, in both instances I called the office desk line at the police dept to talk to someone about what was happening. They sent an officer to my apt (resident manager). Both times, the policeman telephoned the "offender" with their cell phone in front of me. They explained to the person that they could be arrested for harassment if they didn't knock it off. The cops were very polite, listened to the person going on about how they were being treated unfairly, blah blah, but then the cops said, well, that may be so, but you will get arrested if you keep doing this.

Both times they both stopped bothering me immediately.

This is a different issue than calling cops for a noise complaint. So, if you haven't called them on the harassing and the following you and blocking your car, banging on your door (which I think is worse than banging on the walls), I think you should. They may nip this in the bud pronto.

Sorry for the hassles. Glad you're moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting