Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 AM

305 posts, read 724,346 times

Advertisements

If a dude drives by and flips you off and insults you with racial slurs, and you react by retaliating(in a harmless way), what would happen?

Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Do not engage. This put you and everyone around you at risk. Sure sometimes it is hard not to but if something happens you are just responsible as the other person.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM

743 posts, read 832,607 times
It depends. The person might go along with their day, or they could block you off and shoot you. Creating sparks may lead to an uncontrollable fire.

I have never initiated such an incident, but I have retaliated by following closely or flipping them off in return. When I was in college, someone pulled out into the road fully knowing I was coming and I had to swerve to not be hit in my driver side. He then had the nerve to honk at me. Once we got to the stop to turn into school, I flipped him off repeatedly and drove into the school. I was hoping he would pull over into the parking lot so I could truly give him what he deserved for intentionally putting my life at risk, but he turned the other way to go to the opposite side of the school.

I'm fully aware of what the consequences can be, but my belief has always been that they don't know what I am capable of either. If there is one stubborn quality in me that could equal me getting severely hurt or killed, it is that I never back down. I wouldn't advise doing any of the above. Can't change who we truly are I suppose.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,404,507 times
I've done it. Is it smart? No. Will I stop? Unlikely.

If an idiot gives me THE STARE, or the finger, it's not unlike me to start acting like I'm "following" the car for the next few miles... Most of the time, this scares the crap out of them.

If someone cuts me off, it's not unlike me to show them that I have mastered the art of safely cutting cars off as close to their bumper as possible.

Both are very idiotic things to do. But I still do them.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Why engage? It just brings more stress to an often already stressful environment and activity, and can never offer anything like resolution.

By engaging however it can easily get you seriously injured, killed, arrested or sued by damaging someone else's property or injuring (or killing) someone- not to mention just damage to your car or having some crazy person now seeking you out.

I used to be an azz hole occasionally when I was much younger but now I just chill- I think I'll live longer.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Why engage? It just brings more stress to an often already stressful environment and activity, and can never offer anything like resolution.

By engaging however it can easily get you seriously injured, killed, arrested or sued by damaging someone else's property or injuring (or killing) someone- not to mention just damage to your car or having some crazy person now seeking you out.

I used to be an azz hole occasionally when I was much younger but now I just chill- I think I'll live longer.
Like I said, it's VERY stupid to engage... But when caught up in the moment, sometimes... I just do.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i dont engage, its not worth the possible problems that can come up when you do. imagine you engaging some idiot road rager, and the cops see you doing it. what happens? you both get nailed for various traffic offenses, you insurance rates go up, etc. and that is the nice thing that happens. collisions, someone deciding to open up with a firearm, etc.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I would think common sense would answer this immediately. No, it is not smart.

Funny story, I got the STARE from someone a couple weeks back... and as he was next to me giving me that STARE, he failed to notice the cars in front of him had come to a stop. The panic when he looked back forward was priceless! I am glad he did not crash (he was a jerk but did not wish him injury), but I am sure his cream colored seats needed a cleaning!

Best of all, I did not have to engage or retaliate at all. Karma got him back right away... but even if it wasn't immediate I think those types of drivers will get bit somewhere along the line anyway.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
I've gotten out of my car/truck a few times to have a little face to face chat. I usually get an apology. Gotta say, that's so satisfying. These cowards are only tough when they feel protected in their little cage.

One time the guy obviously was concealing a gun and was berating me into approaching him. He wouldn't leave his car.

Now I have a family, so let it go.

If people just gave a sorry wave or acknowledgment that they did something wrong the roads would be a better place. Instead they get pissed at you like it's your fault they changed lanes right on top of you. How dare you beep at them!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
No it isn't a good idea. Why would you let a strangers stupidity become your problem. Get flipped off? Smile and wave. They start hitting their brakes and swerving at you? Pull over and let them go on their way. (btw- it is always a good idea to have protection in case they stop too)

Do not get involved with an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive