Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:15 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,134,319 times

Advertisements

Hmmm:
  • Acura: 40-plus-year-old aging trophy wives whose daily routines consist largely of gossip, Target or Macy's, and Panera bread.
  • Lexus: Entry to mid-level management, and soccer moms suffering from a false sense of affluenza.
  • Infiniti: Folks whose household income is high enough to make them feel entitled to pampering, but not high enough to splurge on actual luxury autos or the aforementioned pampering.
  • Audi: Never met an Audi driver that wasn't a vanguard for snobbery.
  • Land Rover: See Audi.
  • Mercedes Benz: Doctor and/or foolish, phony, or is running a church/non-profit scam.
  • Volvo: Accountants, bankers, lawyers.
  • BMW: See Volvo; add (mostly white) gold diggers, child support queens, small peter/ED types, and young professionals.
  • Porsche: See Volvo; add status seekers who are easily parted with their money, small peter/ED types, and well-to-do retirees/near-retirees.
  • Cadillac: Pretentious types and drug dealers.
  • Buick: Old people or hood-rats.
  • Oldsmobile: See Buick.
  • Lincoln: Cadillac mixed with Buick.
  • Chevy/Chrysler/Dodge/Ford: Average Joes, horse people, rednecks, hillbillies, and road ragers. Obligatory use of the term, 'Murika.
  • Toyota/Honda: Plain Jane bandwagon'ers and know-it-alls.
    • Toyota Prius drivers: Yuppies and enviro-fanatics who spend their time pointing the finger everywhere but inward.
    • Toyota Tundra drivers: Wants to pretend they need a work truck.
    • Honda Civic drivers: Budget conscious consumers or fart can muffler hood/hood-wannabe types.
    • Honda Ridgeline drivers: Because they feel emasculated showing up to their desk job in a car.
  • Jeep (Wrangler excluded): Didn't think before purchasing.
  • Mazda: See Jeep.
  • Isuzu: See Jeep.
  • VW: Teenagers, depressed nonconformists, and bubblegum chicks.
  • Hyundai/Kia: Budget/warranty conscious and typically paid by the hour or retired.
  • Subaru: Lesbians, wildlife biologists, or lives in an area with an abundance of hills and/or snow.
  • Smart: Stupid... or lives in a gated retirement enclave.
... all in good fun.

Last edited by OpinionInOcala; 02-01-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 PM

307 posts, read 684,803 times
For me a car is just a cage to use when I can't ride. Judging people by the car they drive is reading way to much into it.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Chev; Chrysler and Ford are pretty mundane reputation wise except for trucsk. Use to be it was Chev and Ford top but now Ram is making a name especially in heavy duty. A least around here since the Ford eco boost problems Ram has made huge inroads o Ford.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Volvo- save the whales, save the polar bears, liberal, frequents Starbucks.
Prius- I'm saving the planet, you're not.
cross over SUV- women vehicle, gives really dumb excuses why she bought it.
Large SUV- men vehicle, gives really dumb excuses why he bought it.
Huge pick up truck with jumbo tires- I'm macho, you're not. Pit bull in the truck bed- I'm really macho.
BMW- I wanted to be a race car driver but I'm afraid to drive faster than 27 mph around the interstate cloverleaf entrance and I hit the brakes at 17 mph making a right turn.
Miata- I'm a woman who can't afford a Corvette.
Corvette/Camaro/Mustang/Charger- I owned one or wished I owned one 35 years ago.
Tesla- ahhh, I don't get it. I don't know who buys it or why.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
My own observations:

<snip>
Prius- Hippy liberal wierdos
<snip>
Around here, Prius is favored by "eco-intellectuals" -- retired professors, high school Latin teachers, psychologists . . .

They've celebrated Earth Day since the very first one in 1970. The men have elbow patches on their tweed blazers and the women wear Birkenstocks or Tevas except when they get dressed up for a fundraiser. Definitely liberal, probably former hippies, but they have carefully coiffed, expensively cut silver hair these days. And oh-so-very-respectable and pretentious. A lot of them live in retirement communities with a $500k-plus admission fee.

Last edited by Pocopsonite; 02-02-2015 at 12:44 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 04:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Were you making Fords in Canada for the American market?
Oh, good Lord. Are you serious? Give your head a shake, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The US government considers Canadian built cars to be domestic. I think the Canadians do the same for ours. GM, Ford and Chrysler are domestic to North America. That border region between Michigan and Ontario is the very heart of auto production in North America. Which side it comes from is almost irrelevant, and the economy of that area is so interlinked that it could not be separated.
Yep. And seriously, while technically we're foreign countries....I mean, c'mon. lol

Old 02-02-2015, 05:33 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,936 times
Prius - Uber's answer to the Crown Vic.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:17 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
What are some stereotypes you've noticed about certain types of cars? Some I've noticed:

Volvo: extremely safety-conscious soccer moms
Subaru: liberals, lesbians, hippies, Vermont/Colorado/Tahoe area residents
Chevy/Dodge: people who only care about "buying Murkan"
Toyota/Honda/Ford: average Joes
Jeep/VW: high school students
Hyundai/Kia: budget-conscious buyers
These are your perceptions so they aren't wrong, they are yours.

I have my own, just like everyone on this board.

I think Jeep drivers are low intelligence because in my opinion, they are stupid vehicles that cost too much to buy, drive and are worth close to nothing when trade in time comes around.

But in reality, many very smart people, much smarter than me drive Jeeps. So it's just perceptions and mostly not very accurate.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:58 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
These are your perceptions so they aren't wrong, they are yours.

I have my own, just like everyone on this board.

I think Jeep drivers are low intelligence because in my opinion, they are stupid vehicles that cost too much to buy, drive and are worth close to nothing when trade in time comes around.

But in reality, many very smart people, much smarter than me drive Jeeps. So it's just perceptions and mostly not very accurate.

Hm.

Yes, of course. That makes sense. It explains why KBB has ranked the Wrangler top 3 in resale value since 2012, retaining at least 55% of it's value consistently at 60 months.

2015 rank #2 - 69.9% @ 36 months, 58.9% @ 60 months

2014 rank #3 - 70.3% @ 36 months, 61.9% @ 60 months

2013 rank #3 - 67.6% @ 36 months, 55.4% @ 60 months

2012 rank #1 - 68.0% @ 36 months, 55.0% @ 60 months

It also explains why right this second, an unmodified 2000 Wrangler with 155,000 miles on it, in "excellent" condition, can easily fetch $7300, while the same Wrangler in "fair" condition, can easily fetch $5700, from a private party.

Shoot, an unmodified 1995 Wrangler with 165,000 miles on it, in "excellent" condition will fetch $5200 all day long, while "fair" condition will take a piddly $3900.

Not very accurate, indeed. And hey, look at that; I drive a Jeep, but my puny brain dun figurd dis out, all b'm'self.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Dodge Ram pick-ups: A-- holes

Never Ford, never Chevy, always Dodge. I don't know what it is about that truck brand that entices the biggest dicks on the road, but it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive