Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

GEORGIA COP SAYS MADISON TURNER BROKE 'DISTRACTED DRIVING' LAW

Cobb County police for “eating while driving” under the distracted driving law.
Madison Turner said he ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese from McDonald’s last week, and a police officer pulled him over, along Canton Road in Marietta.

Man cited for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:21 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Well, people think it is harmless, but eating while driving is a distraction.

Per the DUI lawyer cited in the report, I'd rather distracted drivers get cited before they crash rather than after.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Not anymore distracting than texting so why not??

Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
How about sipping a coffee or soda while driving, is that a distraction that will need to be cited?
What if, instead of a burger, it was a bag of chips?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Distracted driving is distracted driving. It doesn't matter what is causing the distraction. It's a main reason why I've never quite understood laws that specifically address texting.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:14 PM

17,179 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Personally, I'd rather see someone on their cell phone while driving than eating a burger. Burgers fall apart. When the bread gets soggy and sauce and crap starts to drip out, people tend to do everything they can to avoid getting stains on their pants/shirts.
I've always considered that to be a MAJOR distraction. It's not a candy bar. It's a large, hot, saucy burger.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
I always said that if talking on a cell phone is a ticketable offense, then how come eating, drinking, putting on make-up in the mirror, etc aren't ticketable offenses as well. How is holding a cell phone any more or less distracting than holding a hot cup of coffee?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 PM

17,179 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I always said that if talking on a cell phone is a ticketable offense, then how come eating, drinking, putting on make-up in the mirror, etc aren't ticketable offenses as well. How is holding a cell phone any more or less distracting than holding a hot cup of coffee?
Especially gas station coffee... Those lids have a tendency to fly off.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:38 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Yet cars are coming out with even more distractions now. Does a car really need a damn facebook app!?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:57 PM

957 posts, read 2,021,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Holding a cell phone is not any more or less distracting than holding a cup. But talking or texting on the phone is.

In addition to the visual (texting takes eyes off the road for a long time), it is the brain functions that are impacted differently.

Things like eating and drinking are done via muscle memory primarily controlled by the Cerebellum. The Cerebellum also helps you put move your foot from the gas to the brake and slow the car when needed, because your body is trained to do it.

However, driving uses other portions of the brain. The one that phone use most impacts is the Parietal Lobe. This impacts the ability to process the information presented by the senses. Imaging of the brain shows a significant decrease in parietal lobe activity while driving. People don't process all the visual and other information they get while driving when talking or talking and will be slower processing what they do see. Even engaged in conversation with a passenger impacts this as well, but to a lesser degree, but it still does.

People look in their mirrors less, check their speed less, don't notice cars slowing ahead of them as quickly, don't process speed limit and other signs. It is how the brain works.

It doesn't mean that eating and such is not distracting at all, particularly when someone looks away to see everything they just spilled, it is just significantly less than doing other things such as texting and talking on the phone (hands free or not).

Full disclosure, I am not any type of scientist or biologist or anything. As someone who enjoys participating in competitive driving events (as an amateur only) I've read a number of articles on driving including brain functions and psychology and have tried to briefly summarize some here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive