Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 02:22 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a pre-owned truck, 2006 or later, 4x4, crew cab, 3/4 to a 1 ton, diesel. Its duties will be to tow a 28 to 30ft travel, plow snow and haul a flat trailer with a ford 1510 tractor with frontend loader on it.

So...... with all that said and done. What make, power plant and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 03:17 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
I'd stick with Dodge, or Ford. The 6bt inline six is a torquey thing, and stay away from the 7.3 Powerjoke, 6.8s are good, though. Both have solid front axles.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I'd stick with Dodge, or Ford. The 6bt inline six is a torquey thing, and stay away from the 7.3 Powerjoke, 6.8s are good, though. Both have solid front axles.

Lol what exactly is wrong with the 7.3? I own two and neither have had any issues. Can't say the same for my previous companys dodge service trucks

Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times
Quote:
I heard that about the dodge trucks. I'm not a big fan of fords anymore, especially since they went aluminum on their bodies, but that is on the newer ones. What about the turbo on the dodges, I hear that one should only buy if its passed the 60,000 makers.
What about the duramax in the Chevy's? Which one of the trucks seem to have the strongest frames that will hold up to snow plowing?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol what exactly is wrong with the 7.3? I own two and neither have had any issues. Can't say the same for my previous companys dodge service trucks
From my standpoint, it's probably just heresay; it's like anything, some people have problems with them, others don't, but I've heard more cries from owners whose had problems with them, than not. Last gen dodges had transmission problems, but I think that may have been exclusvely gassers.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I heard that about the dodge trucks. I'm not a big fan of fords anymore, especially since they went aluminum on their bodies, but that is on the newer ones. What about the turbo on the dodges, I hear that one should only buy if its passed the 60,000 makers.
What about the duramax in the Chevy's? Which one of the trucks seem to have the strongest frames that will hold up to snow plowing?
They all pretty much use a boxed ladder frame, Duramax is decent, the Allison behind it, will outlast the engine- that much I know. I don't know too much on the turbos, I haven't done the research, or heard anything about them, I don't want to speculate, but that sounds like around the time one would usually replace it, but I doubt a turbo would only last 60k with regular truck business.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
TBH the Big 3 3/4-ton and 1-ton HD Diesel trucks all have their ups and downs from year to year best bet is to find one well maintained and well looked after and has full maintenance records and go from there OP.

also suggest you look at a 1-ton Dually instead of SRW as well do to it being used as a tow Rig

Also right now with cheap Gas/Diesel people are snapping them up so it is a sellers market would wait till fuel goes up a bit and prices come back down on the used truck market but that is just IMO

Old 02-20-2016, 05:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
From my standpoint, it's probably just heresay; it's like anything, some people have problems with them, others don't, but I've heard more cries from owners whose had problems with them, than not. Last gen dodges had transmission problems, but I think that may have been exclusvely gassers.

They all (diesel regardless of manufacturer) have some issues. My 7.3s however have been great. The 99 had a torque converter and front axle hubs replaced at 150k. Currently 167,000 original trans and motor. No engine work at all.
The 01 only had a water pump and AC compressor replaced. The rest was normal wear items tires, brake pads/rotors, shocks, fluids. Still on the original clutch. Both trucks had the CPS changed out on the recall. And there is a spare in each glovebox. Both trucks are stock not modified in any way. There are some well known trouble spots and fixes for 7.3. As far as diesels go 7.3s are pretty stout.

The one thing I wish I had was a nicer ride. The Conestoga wagon suspension is very rough. I would like to find two wrecked 2005 F350s and swap suspensions as they are complete bolt on. Other than that I have no complaints out of my Ford trucks.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
I like the 7.3 diesel. However, any one you find now will be at least 13 years old and likely have 200,000 plus miles. It is still a tenable engine, it has some age and will need attention.

I'd stay away from the 03/04 6.0. By 05/06/07 most of the issues have worked themselves out. However, do your due diligence. And follow the maintenance schedule and use motorcraft filters.

For pulling that travel trailer of that size and weight an F-350 or dodge 3500 Dually would be the safer bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive