Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:16 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times

Advertisements

I realize what I'm looking for isn't the norm.

But, I've always had sports cars. I will still have my 911 turbo and SUV's. I have no need for another performance car per se, what I'm really looking for is something unique, a niche vehicle. Basically, the kind of vehicle that you say to yourself, "I would like to have one of those someday, but it's just so impractical right now."

Max budget would be around $60k, but I'd be happier staying in the $45-$50k range or less.

Thoughts I've had so far:

Plymouth Prowler
Jeep Wrangler
AC Cobra replica (I know this is probably considered by many to be a sports car, but with no top, no safety equipment, it is really just a toy IMO, and not really a viable means of transportation a lot of the time.)

'29 Ford Roadster
Tesla Model S (not sure I can find one in the budget though)

Really, I have no clue. Just an interesting car that would either be deemed impractical or frivolous by most people, and would be something new to me.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 07:27 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
A Shay Model A replica.
Factory made on the Ford Pinto chassis - engine and transmission.
A relatively modern car that can be driven with a tad of reliability.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Also a 2009-2014 Ford F150 SVT Raptor could be a fun toy and practical as well it is the best of both worlds and has a great community of owners much like the Jeep wrangler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKXhhmTG08

Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Impractical,considered frivolous by most people and new to you?

How about on original Mustang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK7LPveXhzI

Old 02-21-2015, 07:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
you could find my dream car a 1971 Pontiac Lemans GT-37 with a 455 HO

This strategy only became worse into the nineties when Pontiac simply added tons of plastic body-cladding to their models in order to try to somehow differentiate them from Chevrolets and even Buicks. But there was a time, however, when Pontiac actually was exciting and we can thank John Z. DeLorean for that. Besides from the beloved GTO, another respectable model was the Le Mans. Originally a trim package for the Tempest, the Le Mans nameplate was officially given in 1971 when Pontiac ditched the Tempest name altogether. While the GTO became far more popular, the Le Mans started coming into its own in 1970.

Before then, buyers could opt for a V8 (the 326 and 350 cu in units were the most popular) as well as a variety of body styles including a coupe, sedan and a wagon. Still, the GTO was way cooler and it outsold both the Tempest and Le Mans. In 1971, the Tempest simply became the T-37 while the Le Mans name was applied to all of Pontiac's mid-size models. In order to give this newly rechristened model an added dose of adrenaline without infringing on the GTO's territory, the GT-37 was born. Available as an option package for both the standard and pillared coupe, the idea was to appeal to younger buyers who couldn't afford a GTO but still wanted a proper muscle car.

In addition to the standard 350 and 400 cu in V8s, buyers could opt for the GTO's 455 cu in V8 as well. However, GM didn't want the GT-37 infringing upon the GTO's territory so they simply had its engines detuned with lower compression ratios and to run on lower octane and low-lead gasoline.

Last edited by GTOlover; 02-21-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Hmm. A Model A replica could be something to look into. Definitely satisfies the unique bit of criteria.

As far as a Raptor truck goes... that doesn't really offer me anything I don't already have or see everyday. One of our SUVs is a Porsche Cayenne, so we already have the speed/practicality bag covered.

Original Mustang... no. Not a bad idea, but one of my friends had an old '66 one for years and I spent a lot of time working on it and around it, that itch has been scratched for me.

The Pontiac Lemans... hmm. Hadn't given much thought to old muscle cars and I think it's due to the familiarity with that '66 Mustang. Definitely a looker though, but I don't think it's "different" enough for me.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:00 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I realize what I'm looking for isn't the norm.

But, I've always had sports cars. I will still have my 911 turbo and SUV's. I have no need for another performance car per se, what I'm really looking for is something unique, a niche vehicle. Basically, the kind of vehicle that you say to yourself, "I would like to have one of those someday, but it's just so impractical right now."

Max budget would be around $60k, but I'd be happier staying in the $45-$50k range or less.

Thoughts I've had so far:

Plymouth Prowler
Jeep Wrangler
AC Cobra replica (I know this is probably considered by many to be a sports car, but with no top, no safety equipment, it is really just a toy IMO, and not really a viable means of transportation a lot of the time.)

'29 Ford Roadster

Really, I have no clue. Just an interesting car that would either be deemed impractical or frivolous by most people, and would be something new to me.

Ideas?
So many choices.

I like
Cobra kit
Shay
MGTD kit with 2.3 Ford engine
1936 Auburn Boattail Speeder

You can just head over to ebay and do a search for Other and Kits just to see what's out there.

Good Luck.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
You are daydreaming, aren’t you? I do that all the time. I have “leased” an Infiniti and a Lexus in just past month. I am thinking about a Genesis now.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
[quote=MckinneyOwnr;38533912]I realize what I'm looking for isn't the norm.

Plymouth Prowler
Jeep Wrangler

'29 Ford Roadster

Well, you are all over the place on those choices. IMO, you really haven't found the car YOU want badly enough yet.

The Prowler is a gutless wonder, the Wrangler is off roadie, Cobra kit cars are fun, and a 29 roadster (I assume you mean hot rod, not stock) is for people who are truly hot rodders. (I have a 27 and 29 roadster pickup, but I have been a car builder/hot rodder all my life). As for the Tesla, I know zero about those.

There has to be one car that when you see it in traffic you say to yourself "Wow, I want one of those some day !" That is how I would pick the next one.

Don

Old 02-21-2015, 08:51 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
G55?

Cars for Sale: 2005 Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG 4MATIC in Marietta, GA 30062: Sport Utility Details - 386124759 - AutoTrader.com

H1?

Land Rover Defender
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...82126998&Log=0

Why are these so expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive