Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times

Advertisements

I know not everyone can do this, but if you can pay cash, especially for a used car, I think that is the better way to go. It makes for a simpler transaction and one with fewer tricks and loopholes. Just a straight up deal and you know the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you? but not so, They can and will repossess the car if you don't alter the financing to their rates.. even after the contract is signed. I'm not sure how they get away with it, but I have seen it happen...
Fine print.

The contract specifies "contingent upon"

It's a not uncommon trick/scam.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
Actually they are required to get your social security number for transaction over $10,000. So it can be reported to government/IRS. It's the patriot act. But you can request them to not run your credit if you're not financing through them.

I bought a car recently. I paid in full with personal check. I didn't finance with them, and I still had to provide my SS#. They did not run my credit. I signed paperwork, gave them a check. Then took the car home. Easy transaction. No problems.
However, laws designed to combat money laundering by terrorist organizations do require dealers to check the identification of customers paying more than $10,000 in cash and to report those transactions to the Internal Revenue Service on Form 8300. Paying with a cashier's check, money order or traveler's check also qualifies as a cash transaction, according to the IRS. (Oddly, a personal check does not qualify as cash, according to the IRS form's instructions. But it's the rare car dealer who would accept a personal check for a vehicle purchase.)

Car Dealership Credit Report Scams and the Patriot Act on Edmunds.com

Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,591 times
For the last two vehicles I purchased the dealer was able to beat the best rate I was able to find by over half a point. Difference is that we negotiated the price of the vehicle completely separately from the financing. Why in the world are you folks combining the two. Never ever negotiate finance terms until the drive out price of the car has been negotiated!

If the dealer can match or beat your existing best rate with all other things remaining neutral, why would you throw that better rate? It boggles the mind.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you? but not so, They can and will repossess the car if you don't alter the financing to their rates.. even after the contract is signed. I'm not sure how they get away with it, but I have seen it happen...

Then you can sue them. Unless you've gone to some shady note lot, the dealership doesn't repossess cars - the bank that owns the note does.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:32 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
But it's the rare car dealer who would accept a personal check for a vehicle purchase.
Where do you get this stuff? Plenty of dealers accept personal checks for cars. It's easy to verify funds.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:45 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Where do you get this stuff? Plenty of dealers accept personal checks for cars. It's easy to verify funds.
It's a quote from Edmunds, which is why I included the link.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:19 AM

271 posts, read 567,194 times
I purchased a cpo Honda recently. I went in with financing already approved by Lightstream at a 2.39% rate. After agreeing to a price, the sales manager asked how I would be financing the vehicle. I told him I got approval at 2.39% already. He asked if I would finance through them if they could match (or beat) the lightstream rate. I said sure. They ended up getting me a loan at 2.04%.

Even if you get outside financing in place, it never hurts to let them match or beat the rate you go in with.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,101,735 times
Shop at a dealership, get ripped.

Craigslist = how to buy a car.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Actually it's impossible to verify funds in a MEANINGFUL way. The business calls the bank, the bank says "the account has sufficient funds at this point", and the moment the car drives off the lot the buyer calls their buddy who drains the bank account, before the seller can get their money.

And no, the bank won't 'hold' the money for you just because you called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive