Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:55 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Shop at a dealership, get ripped.

Craigslist = how to buy a car.
When Craigslist starts selling cars I'll take this advice.

This is no different than saying only buy a car that is advertised in a newspaper classified ad.

You don't think there are private sellers who are trying to rip you off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:32 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Wow, what an insult. So much for "the customer is always right." If anyone tried to pull that on me, I'd just walk out on the spot. If they only want to sell their car on their terms, forget 'em.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
Actually they are required to get your social security number for transaction over $10,000. So it can be reported to government/IRS. It's the patriot act. But you can request them to not run your credit if you're not financing through them.

I bought a car recently. I paid in full with personal check. I didn't finance with them, and I still had to provide my SS#. They did not run my credit. I signed paperwork, gave them a check. Then took the car home. Easy transaction. No problems.

Laws require dealers to check the ID of customers paying more than $10,000 in cash and to report those transactions to IRS on Form 8300. Paying with cashier's check, money order or traveler's check also qualifies as a cash transaction, according to the IRS. (Oddly, a check does not qualify as cash, according to the IRS form's instructions.

FAQs Regarding Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000 (Form 8300)

Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Shop at a dealership, get ripped.

Craigslist = how to buy a car.
That's certainly not always the case. As other have pointed out, you don't have to tell the salesman that you're paying cash of have financing in place until the 11th hour.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Where are you negotiating car price and rate at the same time? Seems rather odd that I've always had to two separated with the car deal coming together first and then moving to finance if it's needed at all
This. Always talk numbers before financing.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
My last new car I got I got set up with one of those online loans. I started my research and when I received the check I went to buy. I had the car picked out and instantly they wanted my info so they could get me the "right" price. I figured, what the heck, I already had a loan so really, what is the problem with them running a report? Perhaps it would help in the negotiation if they thought they could rape me on interest. I loved it when they came back with a "congratulations, bla, bla, bla" broke out the 4 square and tried to hide in a ridicules interest rate with a "super low payment" (considerably more then what I was approved for on line for the same time frame! LOL).

That's when I changed it to "paying cash" and I want the best price. Forget this payment crap. I want a price of the car and I can figure what my payments will be. When that was settled I made an appointment to get it the next day in which case I brought up the loan. Of course they asked if they could try to beat it. Again, what the heck. They beat it by a small amount so I went with them. Didn't matter to me who got the my money.

I don't know if that was the right way or not but my thought was that since I had a rate and a check, lets see if they can beat it by not bringing it up. If they had of known right away that I was approved, of course they would have beat the rate by a tiny bit so I was hoping that they could beat it by a large amount. But they still tried to rape me.

My first experience was years ago at a Jeep dealer. They went through the whole thing and I was young and clueless but my dad understood interest rates and how they affected price. The dealer refused to let us know the rate. We would find out when all the paperwork went through after the sale. We had the down payment with us and we were ready to buy. No rate, no sale. We walked. How do some of these idiots survive?

Last edited by marlinfshr; 03-14-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 11:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Then you can sue them. Unless you've gone to some shady note lot, the dealership doesn't repossess cars - the bank that owns the note does.
No you can't sue them, and when your shiny new car is heading down the street on the back of a tow truck, it doesn't matter if it's the lender or the dealer doing the repo, the car is gone.. If a word make you feel better, then go for it.. semantics..
Edit;
I take that back, yes you can sue them, as you know being a legal eagle, you can sue a grape if you wish. You can also expect to lose the suit..!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:06 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
No you can't sue them, and when your shiny new car is heading down the street on the back of a tow truck, it doesn't matter if it's the lender or the dealer doing the repo, the car is gone.. If a word make you feel better, then go for it.. semantics..
Edit;
I take that back, yes you can sue them, as you know being a legal eagle, you can sue a grape if you wish. You can also expect to lose the suit..!
No, you'll win. I've seen it happen many times. But dealerships don't generally pull that crap with people who have the means or wherewithal to fight back.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
I hate dealerships, because no matter what the situation it seems like you are being interrogated as a terrorist.....

Old 03-14-2015, 12:42 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Some good back and forth here. But no one has been able to answer my original question. Maybe some dealers/car salesmen can chime in here; would a dealership willingly let a sale walk because of outside financing? Is it that big? I'm struggling to see how that can be. On a $25,000 car. I'm just making up numbers here so bear with me. If the dealership gets even $10,000 on financing, that still doesn't equate to losing the whole $25K altogether. So why? As I understand it, the manufacturers compensate the dealership on every car sold. It's not as if they don't get paid. They are just losing the gravy.

On another note, this also damages the reputation of outside lenders. I was reassured that the dealers I visited were part of their network and accepted their loans. Bull hockey. It would be interesting to know just what percentage of their loans actually do get accepted by the dealerships.

Finally the dealer that rejected my loan is still emailing me like crazy, saying they can work something out. HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive