Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm not sure why you are replying to yourself, argueing with yourself, and making references to comments about me and my post.

The only person who sounds like a grumpy old shop owner right now is you.
Actually that was a dissection of my post to try to see which parts were “misleading”, not a reply or argument. You might want to re-read it.
I wasn’t referencing any post rather relating my experience trying to get a mechanic job out of HS and the type of people I encountered along the way.

No, I have never been a “grumpy old shop owner”, but I have met a few and most likely, there will be more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Actually that was a dissection of my post to try to see which parts were “misleading”, not a reply or argument. You might want to re-read it.
I wasn’t referencing any post rather relating my experience trying to get a mechanic job out of HS and the type of people I encountered along the way.

No, I have never been a “grumpy old shop owner”, but I have met a few and most likely, there will be more.

Lets cut the B.S. At least be a man and stand up to your own words.

When you said "They might not be willing to start out shoveling excrement, but they will be able to work on cars." you were making reference to my post about my first day cleaning dog crap out of the shop dogs pen in a derrogatory way.

You might disagree with it, but I just sold my 7 figure business last year so shoveling crap as a start might not be as bad as you think.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Lets cut the B.S. At least be a man and stand up to your own words.

When you said "They might not be willing to start out shoveling excrement, but they will be able to work on cars." you were making reference to my post about my first day cleaning dog crap out of the shop dogs pen in a derrogatory way.

You might disagree with it, but I just sold my 7 figure business last year so shoveling crap as a start might not be as bad as you think.
More like a metaphor as in sweeping floors, shoveling….., when what you want to do is learn how to work on cars.
I stand by what I said, and as far as being a man….. you might sign it next time if you know what I mean.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
Well I didn't read what everyone else wrote, but I will give you my 2 cents.

I am currently 20 years old. Since I never like school I was always into cars, rebuilding, etc. Well when I got to be about 14-15 I was looking for a job. Came across a local collision shop that was willing to hire me. I started sweeping floors, dumping trash, etc. I thought after a month I was going to quit as this "janitor" job wasn't for me. But as time progressed I was given more and more tasks. All along being taught the trade of collision. Currently I am the head painters assistant as well as doing collision/restoration work. I have learned so much and continue to learn stuff first hand.

I had thought about schools like wyotech and technical schools but after talking to a lot of people it seemed like a huge waste of money as what I would gain from it would be way less then what I could have learned working in the environment everyday.

Last year the girlfriend got me to go back to school. I am currently attending a community college, doing an automotive program. I would say this is the best investment I've made. At the end I will have something to show. The programs are EXCELLENT! For a beginner or someone looking to improve their skills. From auto. electrical, engine, collision, welding, etc. And the tuition is so low compared to a technical school.

My personal advice would be to attend a community college or a 4 year college with an automotive program he likes. At the same time he can be taking regular classes to see if anything else sparks his interest or if automotive is really for him. Also he can be looking for a job in the auto industry, may not be his dream job or anything, but hes getting his foot in the door.

I'm done rambling, lol.

Last edited by wagonproject; 01-19-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
Well I didn't read what everyone else wrote, but I will give you my 2 cents.

I am currently 20 years old. Since I never like school I was always into cars, rebuilding, etc. Well when I got to be about 14-15 I was looking for a job. Came across a local collision shop that was willing to hire me. I started sweeping floors, dumping trash, etc. I thought after a month I was going to quit as this "janitor" job wasn't for me. But as time progressed I was given more and more tasks. All along being taught the trade of collision. Currently I am the head painters assistant as well as doing collision/restoration work. I have learned so much and continue to learn stuff first hand.

I had thought about schools like wyotech and technical schools but after talking to a lot of people it seemed like a huge waste of money as what I would gain from it would be way less then what I could have learned working in the environment everyday.

Last year the girlfriend got me to go back to school. I am currently attending a community college, doing an automotive program. I would say this is the best investment I've made. At the end I will have something to show. The programs are EXCELLENT! For a beginner or someone looking to improve their skills. From auto. electrical, engine, collision, welding, etc. And the tuition is so low compared to a technical school.

My personal advice would be to attend a community college or a 4 year college with an automotive program he likes. At the same time he can be taking regular classes to see if anything else sparks his interest or if automotive is really for him. Also he can be looking for a job in the auto industry, may not be his dream job or anything, but hes getting his foot in the door.

I'm done rambling, lol.

Well said.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
N-none
A-athletic
S-sports
C-circled
A-around
R-rednecks

Just thought that you folks might like this one.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
I am a senior at Purdue University in Indiana and I am studying Mechanical Engineering Technology. I will be graduating next December and I want to further my knowledge. I have been racing for 4 years now and I have been pretty successful. I want to be an engineer for a Nascar team and I was wondering if Nascar provide a school for this. I know of the UTI but I didnt know if this covered what I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive