Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times

Advertisements

DH and I are in the market for a used car. We drove by a mechanic shop/dealer shop and saw a Subaru Baja last week. We pulled in and the mechanic said it's a car he's personally selling. We said oh that's cool, asked how much, etc. He said $7700. It's a 2005 with 120k miles on it. DH literally drives like 6 miles/day so we were like SOLD.

He told us it had some mechanical problems and he was waiting on a car part to fix it, and that he also was having the car smogged so whoever bought it could get it registered. Today he told us he fixed it and had it smogged.

We test drove the car and had my dad look at it (mechanic).

So far so good. Well since we don't have all the money outright we went to a credit union to get a car loan, and when there they said the seller had to be there to sign a few papers too.

The guy told me he had the title. I ASSUMED he meant in his name.

Nope, the car was not in his name, it was in this random person's name, his "friend" and the other paper he had was a Bill of Sale that was incomplete (that we think he filled out on his own).

The Credit Union told him that we couldn't buy the car from him because he never registered it with the DMV AND now we find the registration is also expired (expired in March).

So we left and told the guy oh well, good luck selling it. As amazing a deal it was, we can't buy a car that someone says they bought from a friend and never registered. We don't want to get 1- dinged with paying double taxes or something and 2- don't want to get dinged with paying double registration fees cuz they let it lapse. He asked if I could pay cash I said no.

So we say our goodbyes and of course we walk away disappointed and annoyed cuz we think the guy was trying to pull some sort of scam on us. Specially when we knew the car was worth at least $1-2k more.

He called me and told me he can either 1- on Monday go transfer the title to his name, or 2- get the "friend" who is on the title to come with us on Monday to the credit union and say that he's selling the car to us. EVEN THOUGH he already told the credit union he bought the car from the friend on the title.

IDK what to do or thing? He asked if we'd give him a $300 deposit for registering the car in his name to show we are serious about buying it, but in my mind I'm like no matter what you have to switch the car to your name don't you?

My DH has wanted this car for a long time, but we don't want to buy something with some kind of crazy issues like unpaid parking tickets or something.

To get the car legitimately, if he transfers the title to his name, will the DMV also tell him he has to pay the registration fees as well? We are thinking that is the best course of action.

I live in California if that helps. Thanks.

Last edited by beera; 04-25-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:09 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
First have a look at the California DMV website. They will tell you what you need to know, what documentation you need, etc. Then realize that what the guy is going is selling a car he bought for cheap without actually going in and getting the title himself. He did this to avoid paying registration, sales tax, getting it smogged, etc. It's not legal and title issues can leave you with a car that cannot be legally called your own.

So can you trust a guy who would have left you with whatever issues there were if you'd have given him cash? This can end in tears.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
That sounds like a messy situation I'd steer clear of. There will be other cars so don't get emotionally attached.

If that Baja has the 2.5L notorious for blowing head gaskets, definitely run away without looking back.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
That sounds like a messy situation I'd steer clear of. There will be other cars so don't get emotionally attached.

If that Baja has the 2.5L notorious for blowing head gaskets, definitely run away without looking back.
That's how I feel, I bought a Corolla cuz it's a reliable car and it's great to this day.

The 2003 is the year that had head gasket problems according to DH's research.

I don't get emotionally attached to things. I had to tell DH calm down a million times.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
First have a look at the California DMV website. They will tell you what you need to know, what documentation you need, etc. Then realize that what the guy is going is selling a car he bought for cheap without actually going in and getting the title himself. He did this to avoid paying registration, sales tax, getting it smogged, etc. It's not legal and title issues can leave you with a car that cannot be legally called your own.

So can you trust a guy who would have left you with whatever issues there were if you'd have given him cash? This can end in tears.
He gave me the smog print out and told me that it's already been electronically sent to the DMV.

That's what I am thinking that if he transfers it to his name AND pays the registration it's legit, if he won't, then I will just look elsewhere. Can't register without it being smogged right?

I have a friend who works for the DMV. I got the VIN so she'd said she'd look it up to make sure there are no outstanding tickets or other issues on Monday.

I thought we were done but when he called me saying he'd transfer the car to his name I thought maybe he is legit? But he didn't say anything about registering it. Though I'd think if you went to transfer the title they'd tell you that you have to register the car as well and pay for that right then?

Glad I'm not the only one thinking something shady is going on.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:32 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I don't think he would have to register the car. You can buy a car and never register it. You just can't legally drive it on the road until you do.

By register I am referring to registration and tags.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Ok
In California title transfer and registration are separate transactions but sometimes they get used as the same interchangeable action. A title shows who owns the vehicle and if there is a lien holder. A
The registration basically says the vehicke is registered, the taxes and fees safety check smog was completed and the car can be legally driven on a public road. Title and registration usually get done at the same time but not always.

For example.

Say I own a vehicle. It's titled in my name so I own it. The registration shows all fees are paid. I just paid the registration for a year. Now I want to sell the vehicle. I place a ad/you see the car and you want the car

I as the seller have one thing to do. I have to get the vehicle smogged. The smog test is good for 90 days from the date of smog. If the vehicle is not sold within that 90 day period I have to re smog test the vehicle for another 90 day duration. The smog test is the responsibility of the seller.
I have to have the title (aka pink slip) or some paperwork showing me as the legal owner.

Now I smog it it passes and I sell it to you. The registration has been paid for a year. You do not need to pay the registration again. It's already been paid by me. All you have to do is perform a title transfer and pay the fees for the transfer.

The only variance is if it's the last 60 days of the registration before expiration you oay the next year registration. Simply because the new registration and sticker may not get to you if you wait for it in the mail.

I seriously stay away from any vehicke being soldby a friend for a friend

Old 04-25-2015, 10:48 PM

My friend works for the DMV, I'm gonna have her check the VIN number and see what fees and stuff would be, see if there is anything outstanding on the car, etc.

I'm pretty sure the credit union told me they won't finance the car unless the title is in this guy's name and the registration is current.

Personally I'm scared it's sounding too good to be true at this point.

Does anyone know of a car that's similar to the subaru baja? DH was hoping to get a small truck with a dual cab.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I don't think he was trying to pull a scam, I think he's just trying to flip a car. Your credit union probably has a blanket policy not to finance unregistered cars from a private party due to the risk of it being a stolen car. Easier to just say "we won't finance it" than look further into it.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok
In California title transfer and registration are separate transactions but sometimes they get used as the same interchangeable action. A title shows who owns the vehicle and if there is a lien holder. A
The registration basically says the vehicke is registered, the taxes and fees safety check smog was completed and the car can be legally driven on a public road. Title and registration usually get done at the same time but not always.

For example.

Say I own a vehicle. It's titled in my name so I own it. The registration shows all fees are paid. I just paid the registration for a year. Now I want to sell the vehicle. I place a ad/you see the car and you want the car

I as the seller have one thing to do. I have to get the vehicle smogged. The smog test is good for 90 days from the date of smog. If the vehicle is not sold within that 90 day period I have to re smog test the vehicle for another 90 day duration. The smog test is the responsibility of the seller.
I have to have the title (aka pink slip) or some paperwork showing me as the legal owner.

Now I smog it it passes and I sell it to you. The registration has been paid for a year. You do not need to pay the registration again. It's already been paid by me. All you have to do is perform a title transfer and pay the fees for the transfer.

The only variance is if it's the last 60 days of the registration before expiration you oay the next year registration. Simply because the new registration and sticker may not get to you if you wait for it in the mail.

I seriously stay away from any vehicke being soldby a friend for a friend
I was posting when you posted this, thanks for the information!

We are actually selling DH's car because he has MS and can't drive a manual anymore. Funny thing is we JUST got the paper for registration and we were hoping to sell it next week before the tags expire (in two months). If it doesn't sell then we will obviously pay it.

I didn't realize you had to smog a car before selling it! Fun times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive