Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 PM

952 posts, read 2,637,031 times

Advertisements

i bought the car with the salvage title to it. I was a new immigrant and naive at the time of purchasing my first car in the U.S
I *think* first own wrecked it. It was written off by the insurance company, the garage where I purchased it from, bought it from salvage (i'm guessing) and rebuilt...rebuilt which parts...I don't know.

I guess I'll take my chances at selling privately for the price I want to sell it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,011,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It would help if you posted up why the salvage title. The car may have been hit and bad, poorly repaired, or it may just have been stolen, insurance paid out on the stolen car, stolen car is recovered in good if not perfect shape - salvage title.

There are thousands if not more cars on the road that were "salvaged" from the floods in Texas (years ago) and more recently Hurricane Sandy.

Recently, I have ruled out used cars that originated from New Jersey and New York. Unless there is absolute positive proof that the car was down state or upstate.

Carfax and Experian are not perfect. But a starting point.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,408,183 times
Can you donate it and take a tax write off to any advantage?

Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 PM

952 posts, read 2,637,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Can you donate it and take a tax write off to any advantage?
no idea what this means...but would I need to wait until next tax season to claim this? only then would I know how much I'll get back?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
i bought the car with the salvage title to it. I was a new immigrant and naive at the time of purchasing my first car in the U.S
I *think* first own wrecked it. It was written off by the insurance company, the garage where I purchased it from, bought it from salvage (i'm guessing) and rebuilt...rebuilt which parts...I don't know.

I guess I'll take my chances at selling privately for the price I want to sell it for.
Why are you wanting to sell the car, are you having problems with it? If it runs OK, you will get more value out of it by running it several more years, than to sell it for cash.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:45 PM

114 posts, read 267,190 times
If you bought it in 2009 and are selling it now, that should help you. The potential buyer can see that you have been operating the car.

Not sure what state you're in...most states will give brands such as fire, water, or stolen/recovered a separate brand designation (as well as many also having a "salvage rebuilt" brand--meaning that the car was reconstructed by an approved party and inspected).

But if it's just a straight up "salvage" title--with your history, and provided the car isn't used up or causing major issues--I would say $1800-2400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive