Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 12:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times

Advertisements

I'm starting my search for a new car. I haven't owned a car in over 20 years and never bought a new one. If I buy a new car from a dealership that is located over 50 miles from my home can I have the new car maintenance work done at a local dealership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:27 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Yes you can have it serviced at a different dealership, and you can even have it serviced at an independent garage/mechanic's shop.

However, if you have it serviced anywhere other than a dealership, be very careful to save all of your maintenance invoices so that you can prove that the car was properly maintained. If you don't have documentation, it is very possible that warranty claims would be disallowed.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:28 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Yes, technically you can have maintenance service work done anywhere. As said, keep receipts.

Warranty work must be done at an authorized dealer (some exceptions if, say, on a trip with no local dealers nearby)

There can be some advantages to returning to selling dealer. One place I worked at would give free loaners to their own buyers. Non-buyers had to pay daily fee.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I'm starting my search for a new car. I haven't owned a car in over 20 years and never bought a new one. If I buy a new car from a dealership that is located over 50 miles from my home can I have the new car maintenance work done at a local dealership?
You don't even have to go to the dealer for maintenance. The only time you have to go to Deaker is for warranty breakdown or recalls that's covered under manufacturers warranty. But maintenance you can diy it anywhere you want. Just keep your receipts even if you diy. As long as you document it and can prove you bought the parts to maintain they can't deny warranty

Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
No.... Cars require regular maintenance at specific mileage intervals - like every 7500 miles. This may be provided for free. Failure to do so and have it documented can result in having your warranty terminated. (If you do not take basic care of your car, why should they be responsible for breakdowns?)

I recommend taking the car to an authorized factory service facility - they will know how to properly service the car at each mileage interval and will know about software updates - will install those for free, etc.

If you have a service booklet in the glove compartment with space for the service technician to stamp that service was done, have them stamp it as proof you had the vehicle serviced as recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,505 times
If they include free servicing then you prob need to do it there otherwise you can do it anywhere (even Jiffy Lube) or even yourself.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Jiffy Lube will check for TSB's and do vehicle software upgrades? If true, that is news to me!

Technical Service Bulletin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I will continue taking my newish car to the dealer and NOT to Jiffy Lube for scheduled maintenance...)

Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
No.... Cars require regular maintenance at specific mileage intervals - like every 7500 miles. This may be provided for free. Failure to do so and have it documented can result in having your warranty terminated. (If you do not take basic care of your car, why should they be responsible for breakdowns?)

I recommend taking the car to an authorized factory service facility - they will know how to properly service the car at each mileage interval and will know about software updates - will install those for free, etc.

If you have a service booklet in the glove compartment with space for the service technician to stamp that service was done, have them stamp it as proof you had the vehicle serviced as recommended by the manufacturer.
Oil changes can be done anywhere, even DIY (just keep receipts for warranty purposes)

My only major warranty claim was a blown head gasket on a 2000 Legacy. When I took it in (believe around 20K miles or so) they didn't check up on any paperwork or maintenance. Just took the keys and in a few days everything was done free of charge to me.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 AM

READ your owner's manual [factory maintenance manual more detailed] - recommended servicing at various mileage intervals. I don't recall ever seeing "just an oil change" for any service interval?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive