Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,708 times

Advertisements

I made a really stupid mistake earlier tonight. I was at a gas station refueling my 2009 Nissan Altima (2.5L 4-cylinder engine). I stupidly selected the only option that was available at the pump which was biodiesel fuel. Before I filled up the car, it had about a quarter tank of unleaded gas left. I filled it up to about 3/4 of a tank with the biodiesel fuel. So now the car has 1/4 unleaded fuel and maybe 1/2 tank of biodiesel fuel. I drove the car for a total of maybe 20 minutes between the time I left the station and when I got home. After 5-10 minutes of driving my car started acting a little weird and thought at first it was something else. Then later I realized I put the wrong type of fuel in the car! Ugh!

There is a gas station just down the street from where I am (a 5 minute drive at the most). I was able to drive around without too much trouble before I came home but it did start acting weird. I read that if you top it off with unleaded fuel then it should "dilute" the diesel fuel. As I keep driving, I should keep topping it off with more unleaded fuel. I still have a little more than a quarter tank to fill the car with right now. Is this even a viable option at this point? I have a AAA membership but they told me that all they will cover is the cost of towing the car to a repair shop and then will probably be paying at least $500 in repairs if not more (from what I've read). What are my options at this point? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Don't drive it anymore. Buy a siphon and some fuel cans to siphon the fuel out.

K Tool International KTI 72250 Deluxe Siphon Transfer Pump KTI72250 | eBay

Fill it up completely with gas before starting, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Worse case here might be fouled plugs, filters, injectors etc so it's not an enormous issue but could be costly if you can't do the work yourself.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Half a tank? I doubt you're diluting that. I'm shocked you made it 20 minutes of driving. And.. How did you manage to fill it? The nozzles are supposed to be different sizes.. The diesel being larger than the hole on your filler neck..

Have it towed and have the tank drained. Then fill it up.. You will likely be fine..

You could probably drive it to the station, but.. If AAA is going to cover the tow.. Have it towed. Better than not making it to the station and still having to get the tow.

In theory, it is possible to 'drive it out'.. But.. I don't think I'd go that route.. You know you've already got some in your system by it running rought.. Draining the tank, possibly changing the fuel filter.. Maybe run a bottle of injector cleaner through. Think that'd be my route.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
You're not going to drive the diesel out of it, the engine won't last long enough. You need to have it towed to an ASE shop and have them drain the tank, flush the injection system and hope like crazy you didn't contaminate the cats. If you did, the bill will be over a grand. The probabilities are high you'll have to replace the exhaust manifold from being cracked, the pre-cat, and the cat.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Half a tank? I doubt you're diluting that. I'm shocked you made it 20 minutes of driving. And.. How did you manage to fill it? The nozzles are supposed to be different sizes.. The diesel being larger than the hole on your filler neck..

Have it towed and have the tank drained. Then fill it up.. You will likely be fine..

You could probably drive it to the station, but.. If AAA is going to cover the tow.. Have it towed. Better than not making it to the station and still having to get the tow.

In theory, it is possible to 'drive it out'.. But.. I don't think I'd go that route.. You know you've already got some in your system by it running rought.. Draining the tank, possibly changing the fuel filter.. Maybe run a bottle of injector cleaner through. Think that'd be my route.
I can't explain how I managed to not even notice anything odd while I was at that gas station. I was just not even thinking straight. Anyway, will the repair shop only drain the tank? How much does that usually cost?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The nozzles are supposed to be different sizes.. The diesel being larger than the hole on your filler neck..
Usually but I don't think that's law, I've seen a lot of diesel nozzles using the smaller version. The smaller nozzle for unleaded came about when they switched from leaded gas.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
You don't need fuel injector cleaner -- it will just add to the contamination and serve no purpose. Residual diesel will mix with gasoline. Siphon everything you can out of the tank and then fill the tank all the way. By the second fillup it should be running 100% normally again.

If you can't get it to fire on all cylinders after filling with gasoline, replace spark plugs which might be fouled.

If you run it to the point where it will not start, you will have to remove a fuel line and cycle the key to keep turning on the electric fuel pump until diesel is purged and you are getting mostly gasoline through the fuel line.

I am also surprised if it still starts and runs on 75% biodiesel.

Diesel won't do your catalytic converter and oxygen sensors any favors, but they will probably survive. But don't press your luck and continue to try to run the motor. Best not to try and start it again until the diesel is greatly diluted. Check engine light will go off by itself in a couple of days, or possibly not until the second tankful of legitimate fuel comes through, or the light can be reset.

This from a repair shop owner who has done this himself, and seen it a few times.

Sad to say, I have heard of quotes for replacing fuel filter, all injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc. etc. when this happens. These things are not in any way necessary and are either ignorant or attempted thievery.

Don in Austin

Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I can't explain how I managed to not even notice anything odd.....
The nozzle is usually large for diesel and wouldn't fit into the hole, it certainly would be noticeable if it had the larger nozzle.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I made a really stupid mistake earlier tonight. I was at a gas station refueling my 2009 Nissan Altima (2.5L 4-cylinder engine). I stupidly selected the only option that was available at the pump which was biodiesel fuel. Before I filled up the car, it had about a quarter tank of unleaded gas left. I filled it up to about 3/4 of a tank with the biodiesel fuel. So now the car has 1/4 unleaded fuel and maybe 1/2 tank of biodiesel fuel. I drove the car for a total of maybe 20 minutes between the time I left the station and when I got home. After 5-10 minutes of driving my car started acting a little weird and thought at first it was something else. Then later I realized I put the wrong type of fuel in the car! Ugh!

There is a gas station just down the street from where I am (a 5 minute drive at the most). I was able to drive around without too much trouble before I came home but it did start acting weird. I read that if you top it off with unleaded fuel then it should "dilute" the diesel fuel. As I keep driving, I should keep topping it off with more unleaded fuel. I still have a little more than a quarter tank to fill the car with right now. Is this even a viable option at this point? I have a AAA membership but they told me that all they will cover is the cost of towing the car to a repair shop and then will probably be paying at least $500 in repairs if not more (from what I've read). What are my options at this point? Thanks!
You MIGHT eventually need a catalytic converter or air-fuel ratio/oxygen sensors -- time will tell. Right now you need to NOT RUN IT ANY MORE until the tank is drained. I can not see "at least $500 in repairs" to drain and refill the tank.

I am a long-time repair shop owner with previous experience with this exact situation a few times.

I never did anything more than drain out all possible fuel, refill, disconnect and purge the fuel line, reconnect the fuel line and drive the vehicle. At this time there is nothing to repair. Gasoline will rinse the diesel from the fuel lines, fuel filter and injectors.

Don in Austin

Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Don't drive it anymore. Buy a siphon and some fuel cans to siphon the fuel out.

K Tool International KTI 72250 Deluxe Siphon Transfer Pump KTI72250 | eBay

Fill it up completely with gas before starting, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Worse case here might be fouled plugs, filters, injectors etc so it's not an enormous issue but could be costly if you can't do the work yourself.
"Fouled injectors?" Please explain!

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive