Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

Ok I'm sure to get flamed for this but here goes...

I'm a better then average driver so we all like to tell ourselves. With that said I do get pissed off at people who tailgate me. If someone is tailgating on the interstate or a two lane road & I get on my brakes hard, I won't stomp on them but I will keep pressing the brake pedal until they back off. This is wrong I am sure but they do get the point that they are driving to close to me.

Just a side story here. My wife & I go to breakfast every Sat morning at one of our favorite place I was in the left lane & the road was fairly busy. There come two cars racing down the road from behind us.
One passed IN the turning lane & the other tried to pass us on the right side of us. As he came closer to us on the right I pulled my car in front of him, causing him to slam on his brakes & run into the curb.
I didn't & neither did he. He went around me on the left & flipped ME off. As I said above I am sure to get flamed for both of these stories.... let it begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I hate tailgaters too. I certainly understand your frustration.

I try to avoid behavior which could cause an accident however. Last I need is to have to exchange information with someone I just caused to wreck into me.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
People in NC wouldn't get tail gated if they learn to stay in the right lane.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
FYI - This is for people tailgating me in the RIGHT lane - they can pass in the left lane!!!!

Turn on your hazard flashers and slow down. They will then pass.

If you have a rear window wiper/washer, wash your rear window, it will spray on cars following too close.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

Perhaps, but I don't think that matters much I've been all over this country twice & it doesn't matter. They will tailgate you on a two lane road as well. They also like to kiss your bumper at a red-light.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
As much as I hate tailgaters or speeders, I wouldn't purposely do something that could potentially cause an accident.

I'd feel really bad if I brake-checked someone who actually rear ended me and had a child not properly secured in the back seat.

Or what if said racer overcompensated and struck a telephone pole and died? It has happened before?

I just stick to shaking my fist at them as I let them pass.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If someone is tailgating on the interstate or a two lane road & I get on my brakes hard, I won't stomp on them but I will keep pressing the brake pedal until they back off. This is wrong I am sure but they do get the point that they are driving to close to me.
What happens the one time you get on your brakes and the vehicle behind you hits you? It goes from being an annoyance to a potentially deadly situation.

If you're being tailgated you have two safe options - let the faster vehicle by, thus ending the dangerous situation, or slow down so that the situation is safer. If you can't just let faster traffic by you, you should just drive slower until the condition is safer.

If people always tailgate you, I'd guess you are a slower driver and should look at other ways you can be safer on the road, like staying in the right lanes, being mindful of faster traffic, etc.

One thing that does seem to work and is less dangerous than you abruptly changing your speed is to turn your flashers on for a few blinks. This seems to get the attention of the other driver without making the situation more dangerous.

Quote:
As he came closer to us on the right I pulled my car in front of him, causing him to slam on his brakes & run into the curb.
If I saw you do this, guess who would be getting the ticket? It wouldn't be the speeders, but you, the reckless driver, with no lane control, who is cutting off other drivers. This is dangerous and very shortsighted.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
From reading the OP, I think he considers anyone driving behind him tailgating. Take it easy and just let them pass. Two wrongs don't make a right (cliche but hey)

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
People anywhere, in ANY lane, wouldn't get tailgated if the tailgaters actually knew how to drive. Tailgating no matter WHAT the other traffic is doing is proof that the person doing the tailgating, no matter HOW great a driver he thinks he is, doesn't know how to drive and needs to go back to Driving 101.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:05 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,305 times
I can't remember the last time I actually was tailgated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive