Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:56 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Get the heck out of the left lane unless you're passing....and if you are....complete the pass, and move over.
Not all tailgating involves being in the left lane. I've been tailgated from the right lane on several occasion. Some resulted in drivers passing me on the right shoulder. I ignore tailgaters because I can't satisfy them. Speeding up will only continue the tailgating and brake checking is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
You can install a device that will disable a car's engine if it is within a certain distance. The downside is that they are expensive and are hard on your car's alternator.

Yeah, I've joked with fellow nerds about a rearward facing EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) generator to "discipline" tailgaters. More realistically, how about an oil drip line on to the muffler that you could turn on as needed to generate annoying fumes - not a smokescreen.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
People anywhere, in ANY lane, wouldn't get tailgated if the tailgaters actually knew how to drive. Tailgating no matter WHAT the other traffic is doing is proof that the person doing the tailgating, no matter HOW great a driver he thinks he is, doesn't know how to drive and needs to go back to Driving 101.
Exactly.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
The more they tailgate me, the slooooooower I go. I keep dropping my speed until they get the hint and pass me on the left.

A guy I know has a pickup with a long ball hitch on it. One guy was tailgating him and he slowed down suddenly and the guy's grille rammed into the hitch. Bet that guy allowed more room after that.

Don

Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkuM3XXUaEw

Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Get the heck out of the left lane unless you're passing....and if you are....complete the pass, and move over.
As said, it's not always about the left lane. And even if it IS about the left lane, tailgating is a childish response and cannot with any seriousness be blamed on anyone at all but the tailgater themselves. Like I said, tailgaters need to go back to Driving 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Braking for tailgating is not cool.

If you're the lead car in a line of traffic (basically, nobody in front of you but several cars behind you), yea, you may be going the speed limit but cars are backing up more and more closely behind you.

The first vehicle behind you hits his brakes and to increase separation not knowing what you're going to do, he slows down even faster.

Well, the car behind that one has to slow even more.

And on, and on.

If there's 10 cars behind you, that last car may need to lock them up to avoid an accident or may plow into the rear of that next car in front.

Basically, you caused a potential panic situation or accident down the line behind you. Very uncool.
If the vehicles in this scenario are paying attention and are allowing sufficient distance in front of them to deal with things like, oh, a person or animal running across the road or a car in front of them having a blowout or any of the myriad of things that can and do happen every day on the roads, then there will be no accident. And the person in response is not responsible for the inattentive and bad driving decisions of the cars behind them. You're putting the responsibility on the wrong person in your scenario.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I get tail gated all the time! It doesn't matter what lane... I'm rarely in the passing lane.

I generally slow down and put a lot of space between me and the car in front.... usually it gives then a clue to pass me up. I drive a stick, so I can down shift speed up and slow down.. repeat over and over. It usually annoys them enough to get them to put more effort into passing me rather than expecting me to move out of their way... yet not a hard break to risk an accident.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
The tailgater is almost always responsible for the accident. The legal term is "Failure to maintain assured clear distance". The 10th car ahead has zero involvement with the accident. If 9 cars are so close that the 10th car has to lock his brakes, he is tailgating and most likely all 9 cars in the chain were also tailgating.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:09 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ok I'm sure to get flamed for this but here goes...

I'm a better then average driver so we all like to tell ourselves. With that said I do get pissed off at people who tailgate me. If someone is tailgating on the interstate or a two lane road & I get on my brakes hard, I won't stomp on them but I will keep pressing the brake pedal until they back off. This is wrong I am sure but they do get the point that they are driving to close to me.

Just a side story here. My wife & I go to breakfast every Sat morning at one of our favorite place I was in the left lane & the road was fairly busy. There come two cars racing down the road from behind us.
One passed IN the turning lane & the other tried to pass us on the right side of us. As he came closer to us on the right I pulled my car in front of him, causing him to slam on his brakes & run into the curb.
I didn't & neither did he. He went around me on the left & flipped ME off. As I said above I am sure to get flamed for both of these stories.... let it begin.
I didn't flame you. In fact I bumped up your rep. I drive about 5 mph over the limit in the right lane. I look at the tailgaters in the left lane and hope I don't become a victim of their emergency.

Could someone tell Jersey drivers that it is lawful for them to drive in the right lane when they are in upstate New York.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
I thought this was a thread about the best car for tailgating parties.

Quite disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive