Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:45 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,431,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Pretty ridiculous. My son likes to spend money as soon as he gets it. So, he has been giving me a chunk of his pay check each week for the past two years as he wants to buy a new car in cash.

When the time comes, I'll give him his money and he'll go buy his car.

Now it sounds like he'll have to explain "where" he got his money from? Geesh...
No he won't. I paid for my car in cash and it was over 10K. I just got a cashier's check. Many people, especially foreign-born it seems, pay for cars in cash. Nobody bats an eyelash.

Not everybody is laundering drug money. It may help if you go to a dealership in an area where there is some diversity. The place where I got my car has a lot of immigrants from various countries, and they were used to doing cash transactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 03:08 PM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
lol, the cash transaction is reported to the IRS. They're not going to interrogate you (well, unless something is obviously amiss). They're trying to prevent tax evasion and money laundering so it has everything to do with it.

It's just a freaking form the business has to fill out: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8300.pdf

It's been in place since 1970. If it hasn't affected you until now, I think it's safe to carry on with your life.
Then why were people in this thread saying that the Feds are going to show up wanting to know how you got the money? I didn't come up with that myself. Have you not heard about the cops confiscating cash from people they pull over, forcing them into long legal battles to get their money back? Others made it seem like this was happening. I thought this transaction reporting had something to do with the Patriot Act, but you say it has been the rule since 1970. Thank you for that info.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So, I was right guilty until proven innocent.

I don't care if the transaction is reported and tracked, but having the Feds show up and asking questions is ridiculous. If I want to save up $20,000 cash to buy a car that's my business, not theirs. (Note: I've already been taxed on the money because I paid taxes all along, and the $20,000 includes taxes and fees too.)
This is only the case if that reported transaction got someone's attention. I put $20K down on a $60K purchase and no.. no one showed up at my door. The fact is large transactions are tracked. Usually nothing comes out of it.

You are free to spend $20K as you wished.. Do that a few times in a year.. it will create cause a trigger.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,630,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
It is so odd to me, I recently bought a car from a dealership for the first time. I made copies of my job offer letter with my annual pay, pay stubs, w-2 forms, signed forms from references, etc just like online guides said I would need.

I didn't need any of that. I financed through the dealership too. My parents attribute it to established credit history. Like they asked me my gross monthly pay before taxes and the name of my employer, but I didn't need to "prove" anything. I negotiated, completed the sale, and drove the car home all within a few hours. Anyone know what's up?
I think they confused a car loan and a mortgage. A car loan requires positive ID, social security number, and good credit. That's all.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:00 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,590,738 times
I just did this - no one is going to ask anything. I simply wired the full funds to the dealer's receiving account. Perhaps the dealer filed something but perhaps not - the previous IRS link posted states that "A wire transfer does not constitute cash for Form 8300 reporting. Since the remaining cash remitted was below $10,000, the dealer has no 8300 filing requirement."

No issue

Old 06-20-2015, 09:31 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,170,117 times
Quote:
Then why were people in this thread saying that the Feds are going to show up wanting to know how you got the money? I didn't come up with that myself. Have you not heard about the cops confiscating cash from people they pull over, forcing them into long legal battles to get their money back? Others made it seem like this was happening. I thought this transaction reporting had something to do with the Patriot Act, but you say it has been the rule since 1970. Thank you for that info.

Ummm what????????
What does that have anything to do with an all-cash commercial transaction?
Bank Secrecy Act has been around since 1970: http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/bsa/

Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We have paid cash for years............even our drilling equipment..........there has never been a problem.

Just a little surprise at times from the dealers.
If you're a business dealing in large-ticket items as a matter of necessity, I'm sure the IRS already has an idea that your business cash flow can support large-ticket purchases. What's more, banks are exempt from reporting requirements for regular business customers. However, if the IRS gets a report of a $20K transaction from someone who has barely reported any income over the last several years... well, that's kind of a different story and the kind of transaction that's more likely to trigger a second look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Personal check is not considered cash, therefore no IRS reporting is required.
The dealer isn't required to report it because the bank will when the check posts.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:53 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ummm what????????
What does that have anything to do with an all-cash commercial transaction?
Guilty until proven innocent.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:17 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,170,117 times
Quote:
Guilty until proven innocent.

Cops are willy-nilly pulling people over because they have alot of cash? Link please.
I think you're completely missing the point here.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes. But a cash transfer of over $10K triggers some federal paperwork.

So deposit it and write a check. Triggers nothing. Dealer holds car till check beard. Check is not considered cash transaction

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-22-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive